Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB VL Box

• 14-12-2005 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Is there any way, like Eircom's blue Netopia DSL modem, to access a browser based config utility for IBB's VL box? One that shows all your current settings, and connection speed...

Anone any idea if this exists, and what the IP for it would be?

Cheers,
    -d

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

There is none! That box is maintained by IBB,
    Why what u want to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

There is but you need the system to be set up so you can. AFAIK the default setup for IBB is that you can only access it wirelessly ie from the mast not via ethernet.

And rattlehead if you can get in you can change you speed to whatever you want. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

i know :p but u also need 2 know more info
    So basically as a customer of IBB he cant

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i saw this console up on screen on the engineer's laptop when he was here once. so i guess there's some way of getting at it locally, considering that it wasn't able to talk to the mast at all. if i recall it's a 10.0.0.0 subnet but i can't remember the number. it talks via telnet, not ssh, so you can just telnet it from Start>Run in WindowsNT or /bin/bash on Unix.

should have key-logged his pc shouldn't i? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

Of course is it accessible via a internet browser. It's address is the IP you got from from IBB as your "default gateway" (that's what the box is to the internet). You get a page with a login screen. You need an user-ID and a password. Only IBB can tell you this :D

Furthermore it qoutes on the login screen:
    * [WARNING] *
    * This system is owned by Irish Broadband. If you are *
    * not authorized to access this system, exit *
    * immediately. *
    * Unauthorized access to this system is forbidden by *
    * company policies, national, and international laws. *
    * Unauthorized users are subject to criminal and civil *
    * penalties as well as company initiated disciplinary *
    * proceedings. *
    * By entry into this system you acknowledge that you *
    * are authorized access and the level of privilege you *
    * subsequently execute on this system. You further *
    * acknowledge that by entry into this system you *
    * expect no privacy from monitoring. *

IB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

is this directly to the IBB Box or via a router ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Inge Binge wrote:
    Of course is it accessible via a internet browser. It's address is the IP you got from from IBB as your "default gateway" (that's what the box is to the internet). You get a page with a login screen. You need an user-ID and a password. Only IBB can tell you this :D

Furthermore it qoutes on the login screen:

IB
    doesnt work for me. me thinks you are mad.

I'm at work now. I'll post you a screenshot this afternoon. I got from IBB a papersheet with the IP addresses. It looks like

IP 8x.xxx.xx.38
    subnetmask 255.255.255.xxx
    default gateway 8x.xxx.xx.1
    primary DNS 62.xxx.xxx.10
    secondary 62.xxx.xxx.11

I gave fix IP 8x xxx.xx.38 to my router and then 8x.xxx.xx.2 to my computer as this IBB box doesn't support DHCP.

And it looks like that those boxes are bound to the antenna where they get the signal from because here in Limerick the antenna is on top of the Clarion Hotel and my box has the name "CLARION XXX".

The engeneers who installed all this left the cardbord box where all the parts where in in my house. there was a manual for this IBB box as well. You can enable DHCP. But unfortunately I think i made a donation to Mr. Binman...

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The radio is an ethernet bridge, it doesn't do any routing. And strictly speaking, it's not the box in your house either. That's just a Power over Ethernet adapter. The radio sits beside the aerial on your roof. The gateway/router is in the high site.

So - where is the login page then coming from? From the antenna mast on top of the clarion hotel??? :eek:

IB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 unhappy_galway_

Without doing too much reverse engineering here is what the IBB Breeeze setup looks like.

The subscriber unit (the radio box on the roof) is a 3 port ethernet switch, one radio port, one customer port, and the internal management port for the radio box. The access unit (radio box at the mast) is also a 3 port switch, one radio port, one uplink port, and the internal management port. The internal management ports are assigned IP addresses in the 10/8 block, IBB do not support routing to these addresses from the routable IPs assigned to customers.

The BreezeVL gear does support vlan tagging but it appears that IBB don't use this and resort to multinetting (very very dirty word that) i.e. both routable customer IP addresses and nonroutable 10/8 management addresses are assigned to interfaces in the same broadcast domain. (IBB please correct me if i'm wrong). So the installation guys set some address in 10/8 on the laptop they use during setup to talk to the radio unit. The management interface is accessed by telnet and has several access levels so they could let you get at the read only level if they wanted to.

The default router IP address you are given is the address of the logical router interface on the (Juniper I believe) router to which the uplink port of the access unit is connected. There is no way that anyone in their right mind would let customers access the management interface here, it shouldn't even be accepting the connection to give that warning message. Anyone thinking of hacking in to one of these should read section 5 of the Criminal Damage Act 1991 first. I certainly would be calling the Gardai if I had evidence of someone trying to hack in to one of my routers.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dan99989

Yeah, just out of curiosity i checked out Alvarions page - you can download a few things from there, but no utilities.

There was a pdf on the BreezeVL equip and setup though - makes for interesting reading if you're supposed to be workin. It pretty much confirms unhappy_galway's post about the setup but throws in a few diagrams to boot.

This is the Bray router login...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

There’s no point bothering to reconfigure the VL unit as there's probably not enough bandwidth available to make it any faster.

unhappy_galway_ your right that there is telnet access, and there is different levels of access, public,installer,admin. The BreezeACCEESS VL also supports SNMP which allows bandwidth monitoring and other stats, tried to get this enabled just for read only but they wouldn't!

On the Alvarion site there is one app you can get that factory resets the unit from its MAC address but! You lose complete! Connection to the mast. And you would need a whole bunch of setting to get back on the network, as IP's arrant enough.
    I've seen it been installed before and it takes like 10mins to program it.

Reading thru some of the manuals on the Alavrion site and one thing I noticed is for each sector on the base station they can have up to 512 units working off it but if more try to connect the base station rejects them. So the problems with over subscribing a base station couldn’t be possible IBB must be having problems with contention ratios and not having enough bandwidth on the backhaul.

Advertisement