Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe attenuation on line

• 14-12-2005 8:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Attenuation on my line has gone up from 29 to 48 in the last 2 days !!! Even making a phone call is very difficult over all the crackle and beeping noises in the background and this is with the tel line plugged directly in. Rang broadband and the usual spiel about calling out and checking my line after they check the exchange tommo.

Of course I dont want to give them any ammo to charge me the callout fee so I will check the connections myself tommorrow as this line is 20 years old and ring them back. Its basically an adaptor box with 2 phone connectors on it. The box is actually on the ground and there are wbare tel wires going to 1 of the connectors. The tel line and dsl is plugged in here via a filter. The other connector on the box is not wired up at all, so the remaining bare tel wires are just handing there. It looks messy. When the sky guy arrived a year ago he actually just wired the sky box directly into the bare wires (no filter) ! But dsl has worked a treat for the last 12 months. So you can see what the tech would say if he saw this setup.

I wonder could it be the roadworks they are doing near the Athlunkard exchange which has caused this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That unfiltered sky is not going to help your cause. That is a considerable jump in noise on the line. I'm assuming the sky cable is hard wired into the line - Disconnect it from the back of your sky box and retest your noise levels just incase. Like you said, you don't want to be charged for a call out.

Advertisement