Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone any experience of coombe cars?

Options
  • 14-12-2005 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,073 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at a car there might be interested in it? anyone any experience of these guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Just my opinion but, I looked at a 01 Passat there early this year with UK Plates and it was dodgy as hell.

It had ~50k miles on it and the inside was all worn.
    Shiny steering wheel, worn pedals, worn upholstery etc...
    I would imagine it had been clocked.
    I just walked away and to be honest I would not return.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My parents had a 406 coupe that was hit on the passanger side and had to have the door replaced and some panel work around it.

Not long afterwards, when I was driving it, I was rear ended, and as a result I hit the car in front. We traded in the car without repairing it. The dealer obviously sold it on within the trade and I spotted it in coombe motors.

Not long afterwards, we got a call from a guy interested in buying it who somehow managed to get our contact details (it was a company car). He had beeen told nothing about the two accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,073 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hmmm hardly glowing endorsements

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

never ever buy from these cowboy dealers go to a main dealership for better piece of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

TCP/IP wrote:
    never ever buy from these cowboy dealers go to a main dealership for better piece of mind

Agreed. After my experience last weekend, I will never be buying from these type of cowboy dealers, ever. Just turn and walk away - its too much money at risk and too much hassle. Established dealers might be more expensive, but at least you have comeback.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

yes because as we saw on Prime Time last week, main dealers haven't a bad bone in their bodies.

spockety wrote:
    yes because as we saw on Prime Time last week, main dealers haven't a bad bone in their bodies.

take what you want from it spockety! buy from a backyard dealer by all means and have no comeback...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,073 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ciarsd wrote:
    Agreed. After my experience last weekend, I will never be buying from these type of cowboy dealers, ever. Just turn and walk away - its too much money at risk and too much hassle. Established dealers might be more expensive, but at least you have comeback.

what was that ciarsd?

Cyrus wrote:
    what was that ciarsd?

My younger brother is selling his 04 clio for a bigger more powerful car as he now has his full licence, own policy and NCD.

He asked me to go look at a couple of cars last weekend that he had lined up. 1 of them was in one of these types of so-called garages (don't think I can name names on here?)

Anyway, the place had a very dodgy feel to it. The owner was very uninterested, had no idea about the car he was selling when asked some simple questions. Claimed that there was 1 owner on the car in question from new, claimed less mileage on his website than on car when viewed, had some very very dodgy looking non-standard wiring from battery&ecu cable-tied to the underside of the slam panel, front tyre wear was very bad on inside and regular on outside - I could go on.

Thing is, the car was an 04 Mkv Golf!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

the best thins is pay a bit extra and go to a proper dealer as you have comeback.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭gearbox

there's to many "dodgey" places out there these day the only thing that can save your backside should something go wrong is to have somebody that really knows cars with you as they'll spot a hell of a lot more quicker than the average person and ask the garage if the car has been crashed and when they say no and they more than likely always will ask them just to put it in writing and if they wont or come up with some excuse..... walk away!

Advertisement