Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you bank with, and why?

Options
  • 14-12-2005 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Most people use AIB & BOI, some are switching now to PTSB becaue of free fees.

But what attracts people to NIB, Ulster etc I mean why would you bank there what is the advantage, less branches is a disadvantage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

vector wrote:
    Most people use AIB & BOI, some are switching now to PTSB becaue of free fees.

But what attracts people to NIB, Ulster etc I mean why would you bank there what is the advantage, less branches is a disadvantage.
    The fact that I have yet to hear of Ulster bank ripping off their customers like BOI or AIB. Would you buy a car off an Arthur Daly type sales man sooner than off a reputable car salesman(if they exsit)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

AIB --cos I am too lazy too move.

(joined up originally as a UCD student)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

The fact that I have yet to hear of Ulster bank ripping off their customers like BOI or AIB. Would you buy a car off an Arthur Daly type sales man sooner than off a reputable car salesman(if they exsit)?
    Yep, I'm with UB since I was born (26 now :( ). No problems with them. I have UFirst A/C which I pay €9 p/mnth charge and this gives me 'free' banking. In other words I don't pay any transaction fees. This A/C allowed me a reduction of €15 p/mnth off my mortgage so I guess I'm up €6 p/mnth at the moment, I think?

On second thoughts, I'm sure there's something I'm missing...:D A customer coming out better off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭jtkpenguin

I opened an a/c with AIB in Northside Shopping Centre, used it without any problems whilst I was working around that area for a year then found out they were shutting that branch down.... thought I would be offered a choice of where to relocate my a/c - no such luck ! The letter informed me it would be Artane, I contacted them to request it be moved to a branch nearer to me only to be told it wasn't possible !!.... so much for service to the customer! :(

Luckily my local branch are really helpful.... so I haven't moved the a/c to another bank, yet.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With TSB, now Permenant TSB since school. Just habit, that said they offer 'free' banking.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Ulster Bank are good. The have free banking once you are in the black. It's always good to have a second or third account (maybe savings) with another institution. HAndy if you fall out with your bank or just want a bit of competitive leverage when negotiating a loan or mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

AIB - completely free student banking and cos they came into our secondary school to get us to set our account up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

NIB, free banking, no queues and great personal service.

moved initally because they were much cheaper than AIB for a car loan about 7 years ago. AIB could not match NIB's rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

NIB have had free fees for years on their Freebank account. Their Internet Banking is pretty good too - you can make payments to any 3rd party account (which I understand is not possible with AIB).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

RainyDay wrote:
    ...make payments to any 3rd party account (which I understand is not possible with AIB).

Republic of Ireland bank accounts: That has always been possible (however in the past you had to first add the account to your profile over the phone, but now you can add it yourself on the web)

Foreign bank accounts: Phone only

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

UB only allow transfers to third party accounts that are based in Ireland or N. Ireland. I presume that this is as a security precaution. I would hope that Western Union is on the banned list!!!

Advertisement