Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€3000 to spend

Options
  • 14-12-2005 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

For the past few years I have been using my parents car and jeep as my own. Think its time I bought a car.

Will probably get a loan for about €3000-€4000.

What kind of car can I expect for that money. Presume it would be something in the mid 90's with high mileage for that price.

I don't know much about prices of cars or what to expect for my money.

My preference would be a medium sized car. Nothing too small.

Insurance will play a factor also. Right now I'm insured on a '00 1.6 Primera as a name driver. My insurance company has already told me that they would qoute me about €1000 (full insurance) on that car if it was mine.
    Not willing to pay more than €1000/year on insurance.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

For that price range I reackon you are talking about a '99 model car. If I was you my personal preferance would be a VW Polo or a Nissan Almera. Not too shabby at all. The type of millage based on the year and price range would be in the late 60k range.

If your looking to buy at the moment I would say wait until January for the better deals. ;)

check: http://www.cbg.ie and always bring a mechanic or somebody that has a knowledge of cars with you when buying privately. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

It would definitly be in the new year. Birthday is at the end of Jan, might be able to get some € from the parents :D

I would prefer to buy from a garage. At least you would get a few months warranty, better than nothing from a private sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Any interest in a 1999 Mazda Demio 1.3, I think, its not got a bigger engine anyway, silver in colour, in pretty good nick with 3mths. warranty for 3800euros?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

if u could stretch to 5.5k you could nab urself a 99golf rather then the polo
    Thats what im looking to get in the next few weeks for my first car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

98 d clio ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭MikeHunt

You could get a decent 98-00 Seat Ibiza with power steering, electrics etc. for that price rather than a bog standard Polo.... and the engine and other major parts are made by VW anyway. Good boot and back seat space too.

Or an older Golf perhaps... but get some insurance quotes first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

1.3 Mitsubishi Colt, my girlfriend and I are sharing one as we've just bought a house.

Paid €3,750 for it back in March and our insurance is €700 fully comp.

Worth a look and a good reliable car to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

You could get a decent 98-00 Seat Ibiza with power steering, electrics etc. for that price rather than a bog standard Polo.... and the engine and other major parts are made by VW anyway. Good boot and back seat space too.

This is what I did earlier this year

Id go with an ibiza. Bought a 97 a while back and it's tough as nails.

Polos & golfs are overvalued and generally underspecced IMO.

Any of these are worth looking into:

Ibiza
    Starlet
    Corrolla
    Colt
    Demio
    Micra (horrible scanger image, but sturdy nonetheless)

Advertisement