Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train to Dublin Heuston on St. Stephen's Day

Options
  • 14-12-2005 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

According to the Irishrail.ie website, theres no trains at all going to Dublin from Waterford on St. Stephens Day.

Are they havin a laugh? Some people will need to go back to Dublin after being home for a couple of days. Friends of mine will need to go back to work on the 27th in Dublin so need the trains to be going on the 26th.

Its a classic service alright. We're gettin there... slowly.. verrrry sllllowly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There were never any trains on Christmass day and stephens day. Nothing is new in that regard.

I am sure the Mr. Kavanagh will oblige you with a bus though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Bond-007 wrote:
    There were never any trains on Christmass day and stephens day. Nothing is new in that regard.

I am sure the Mr. Kavanagh will oblige you with a bus though. :)

Im sure I'll oblige by barfing on the said bus too! The fact that there was never a train on Christmas Day and Stephens Day isnt the point, in these days of geat feats of transport excellence by our FF Guardians, surely Iarnrod Eireann can manage 1 train to the capital city on the 26th for people who have to work on the 27th?

Im lucky, Ive 2 weeks off.. some of my friends who work in Investment Banking have 1 day off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

transport is indeed a joke

no buses on a Sunday in Waterford for example. they must think that no one works

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mossy Monk wrote:
    transport is indeed a joke

no buses on a Sunday in Waterford for example. they must think that no one works

Not totally true. They run a bus service to and from tramore on sundays.

i am on about the city bus

should have been more clear, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Leonard wrote:
    Not totally true. They run a bus service to and from tramore on sundays.
    Nice to see they are looking after the more afulent seaside dwellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Bond-007 wrote:

don't ya know "afulent seaside dwellers" don't slum it on public transport, even
    Cullen knows that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Bond-007 wrote:

Are "afulent seaside dwellers" in any way connected with affluent seaside dwellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Bond-007 wrote:

:rolleyes:

some people cant seem to take a joke :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Why should trains run on St. Stephens Day? In my opinion they shouldn't. Think about the logistics and cost of opening the railway on this train. You will have to employ signalmen, station staff, train crew, level crossing keepers, maintence personnel.

All in all its not realistic to operate a train service. Far to expensive for starters.

Bus Eireann operate a limited service on the 26th Dec. And before anybody asks why BE can do it and why not IE?

BE cost base is far lower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

enterprise wrote:
    Why should trains run on St. Stephens Day? In my opinion they shouldn't. Think about the logistics and cost of opening the railway on this train. You will have to employ signalmen, station staff, train crew, level crossing keepers, maintence personnel.

All in all its not realistic to operate a train service. Far to expensive for starters.

Bus Eireann operate a limited service on the 26th Dec. And before anybody asks why BE can do it and why not IE?

BE cost base is far lower!

With that logic if theres a very quiet day in August where nobody or very few people have taken trains in the past.. then the trains should be cancelled?

They are a state run company.. thats the difference. Open up the rail network to competition if they arent going to run a service every day! Look at the UK, the rail network is the pits but you can still get trains on the 26th.

Advertisement