Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IP address renewing problems

• 14-12-2005 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all,
    Thanks in advance, I'm in unfamiliar territory with such stuff as ip addresses and dhcp, hoping someone here can offer advice...

Having problems connecting to internet, via ibb"ripwave", running xp home sp2. Iit seems that the crux of the problem is that my machine is not being assigned an ip address by the network. Could this be the case?

Would I be right in saying that the network has to assign an ip address, that I can't just give it one myself? I've tried using the ipconfig in the cmd line, but no avail. The problem's not with the ripwave modem 'cos it's working (as well as it ever does) on this other machine.

And the problem seems to occour with the wireless connection as well as the lan connection.

So, I'm thinking it's some configuration or setting I've messed up at some point? What can I do, or is my computer just going to refuse to talk to other computers...?

Any help identifying or rectifying this problem much appreciated, in advance....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

You can assign a manual IP address if you know it but it’s easier to use dhcp.
    Go to the command line and type ' ipconfig /all > C:\ipconfig.txt' that will create a text file called ipconfig.txt on the c drive with all the settings for the network devices.
    It will be something like this (With different IP addresses)
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.4.12.5
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.240
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.4.12.3
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.4.12.46

Now if this is blank then it means you are not receiving an IP address. Go to network connection and property’s and tcpip property’s, then check if it is set to obtain ip address automatically. Make sure it is.

If your are still not on the net, make sure everything is plugged in properly and all the lights on the modem that are supposed to be on are on [i am not familiar with IBBs hardware so i am not sure which lights should be on].
    If all this doesn’t work then it’s either a problem with your signal or IBBs network in either case you should ring them

Also can you post up the results from the ipconfig command

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 slocanny

Thanks for that -
    First off, the connection properties/TCP-IP is set to obtain IP address automatically.

The ip config result is

>Windows IP Configuration
    >Host Name..........................:machinename
    >Primary DNS Suffix................:
    >Node Type..........................:Unknown
    >IP Routing Enabled................:No
    >WINS Proxy Enabled..............:No
    >
    >Ethernet adapter LAN
    >Connection-specific DNS SUffix.:
    >Description............................:SiS 900-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    >Physical Addess......................:<not sure I want to post this>
    >Dhcp Enabled.........................:Yes
    >Autoconfiguration Enabled........:Yes
    >IP Address.............................:0.0.0.0
    >Subnet Mask..........................:0.0.0.0
    >Default Gateway.....................:
    >DHCP Server...........................: 255.255.255.255
    >

So, it would seem I'm not receiving an ip address? I'm not overhopeful of any decent support from IBB, but I guess I'll have to ring them...

By the way, if this is relevant, I dunno, in the event log, there's a message:

>Your computer was not assigned an address from the network (by the
    >DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address <***etc>. The
    >following error occoured:
    >The semaphore timeout period has expired. Your computer will continue to
    >try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP)
    >server.

Does any of this make sense?

Thanks again!

Oh, the modem seems to be working, at least, it is for this other computer, I'm connected right now to post this. All the lights that are ever on are on, it's slow but no slower than usual.

How could it be that the network is assigning this computer an ip address, but not the other?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

What is the DHCP server... is it the ripwave unit that is giving the IP addresses out? If so, then are you sure its allowed to give out more than 1 IP address at the same time?

unfortunately this is typical of dhcp over ripwve. the only thing that seems to work for me is to turn the unit off for a couple of seconds and then back on. please be aware also that it has taken 3-4 minutes in the past to pick up the dhcp info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Im not sure but if you have no defaultgateway then it could be the modem or router. I would try reinstalling the modem/router if that fails, i would reisntall TCP/IP.

Cheers, y'all..

No joy sofar

baz8080, I've tried switching the thing off and on again, leaving it a few minutes and so on, no good...
    Little-Devil Im not sure but if you have no defaultgateway then it could be the modem or router. I would try reinstalling the modem/router if that fails, i would reisntall TCP/IP.

Eh, how does one reinstall TCP/IP? Also while the modem-router-ripwave-unit-thing did come with some diagnostic software and stuff, I don't have any of it installed. And the thing "works" (i.e. when it does) without whatever software that came with it. So I'm not sure reinstalling the modem is an option...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Lush

Quick test...

Go to the PC thats working, using ipconfig/all write down the:
    • IP address
    • Subnet mask
    • Default Gateway
    • DNS (both)
    Switch off the PC.

On the other PC input the above details into your LAN settings.
    Try and connect to the Internet...

If its working then its down to the amount of IP addresses being issued from the ripwave.

Depending on the subnet mask you can manually change the IP address to suit the subnet. In other words if the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 then increment the last octet of the IP address by 1 so long as its not already .254 Makes sense? Normal IP addresses by default on all routers are 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 which allows 254 addresses.
    :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

192.168.1.1 for the first usable address, .0 isn't a viable address :)

If you've tried multiple interfaces (you stated you also tried wireless) then the first thing I'd try is PING 127.0.0.1 from a command line. It just does a basic test of your TCP/IP stack, if that fails then you know TCP/IP on your client is foobar. If it works then definitely follow lush's advice next.
    Also do you have a firewall on your client system? If so disable it temporarily as it may be blocking ports 68 and 69 (DHCP), or all traffic on your local segment for that client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

make sure firewall software aint blockin it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement