Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Awful Chippers

Options
  • 14-12-2005 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭

I must say i am very disappointed with the quality of chippers in Dublin.

1. Too many foreigners behind the counter

2. Poor Curry Sauce

3. The joining together of the traditional chipper and a pizza place.

4. The lack of "suppers" on the menu

5. using bags instead of cartons.

Burdocks is an ok chipper but once again if falls down on the "curry sauce"

I can't overestimate the importance of the quality of Curry sauce.

Coming form Cork with chippers like Mattie's, Lennox's, Denny's and others, Dublin has been a huge let down.

Anybody else agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Where about in Dublin are you?
    Perhaps we can recommend good ones for you.
    I cant go on the first though... my local is run by an Italian and he's got all Italians running it.
    The staff are fantastic and food is heaven.
    (Macaris in Dundrum btw...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Borza's in Donnybrook
    Macari's in Blackrock

both rather good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

whiskeyman wrote:
    my local is run by an Italian and he's got all Italians running it.

As does the chipper i go to, i find the food does be of better quality when it run exclusively by italians.

There are a few nice ones around. I find alot of the Macari's to be nice. Though tbh if i want anything to do with curry, i go to an asian take away, imo curry & chippers don't mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 amigaboy

Got sick of all chippies in the city, greasy muck is all that's served up.

there's a place in portrane, where i have some friends living up there called Pipers. best chips ever.

And curry sauce you want? oh the curry chips are the favourite of mine.

I'll sometimes go out and visit the friends just to get a curry chip in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

applehunter wrote:

Coming form Cork with chippers like Mattie's, Lennox's, Denny's and others, Dublin has been a huge let down.

Been to Cork many a time now for the Shels and Cork games and I have always said that they are the best chips in the world.

I suppose you know were Turner's Cross is. Well, the chipper (can't think of the name) beside the church around the corner from the ground. Now that's the best chipper in the world without doubt!!

Can you think of the name because it is annoying me now!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Applehunter,
    I lived in Douglas for a short while and for the life of me ,I cannot remember the name of the fantastic chipper in the town center, very close to O,Sullivans bar.
    No joking, this place advertises itself as and actually is a gourmet chipper. The menu is the most varied and exotic I have ever seen in a chipper anywhere.
    Do you know the name of it AppleH ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Are you serious?

Are you just plain ol' racist or do you hold the belief that chips are an ancient Irish dish and only us Paddies know how to make 'em properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

whiskeyman wrote:
    Where about in Dublin are you?
    Perhaps we can recommend good ones for you.
    I cant go on the first though... my local is run by an Italian and he's got all Italians running it.

That is also my local chipper and ive gotta agree with you. Or else Libero's in Ballinteer, but of them are fantastic chippers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

raheny red wrote:
    Been to Cork many a time now for the Shels and Cork games and I have always said that they are the best chips in the world.

I suppose you know were Turner's Cross is. Well, the chipper (can't think of the name) beside the church around the corner from the ground. Now that's the best chipper in the world without doubt!!

Can you think of the name because it is annoying me now!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Its called Dinos and its regarded as one of the poorer ones in Cork. Next time keep following the street towards town direction and find your way to Lennox's. World famous chips!

D-Generate wrote:

Its called Dinos and its regarded as one of the poorer ones in Cork.

I was trying to work out that name all day yeaterday. I thought it was absolutely delicious. I have been in there 3 or 4 times now and I thought the food was great!!:)

D-Generate wrote:

find your way to Lennox's. World famous chips!

Lennox, as in, Brian lennox, as in, the chairman of Cork City!! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

raheny red wrote:
    Lennox, as in, Brian lennox, as in, the chairman of Cork City!! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

No, Annie Lennox as in Eurythmics.

She used the proceeds of 'Here Comes the Rain Again' to start a chipper franchise in the people's republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

CARTONS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

BrynW wrote:
    That is also my local chipper and ive gotta agree with you. Or else Libero's in Ballinteer, but of them are fantastic chippers
    Libero's is my local, and i love it. But you cant beat Joe's (goatstown) The mans a legend, and he makes the nicest chips and batter burgers of the lot! Well, for me anyway.

I get Macari's on lunch sometimes from work, and i dont think its half as good as those ^^ two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

dont live close to it but cafe caira (sp) out by howth harbour is delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

my local barnardos is really good in shankill village.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Why on earth would you want your chips in cartons!!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

what I wouldnt give for good chunky chips with chicken salt and/or gravy instead of rubbish fries, normal salt and curry!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Porta Via in rathmines is teh win

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

amigaboy wrote:

there's a place in portrane, where i have some friends living up there called Pipers. best chips ever.

AKA the Gino Camp. Don't ask...:D

Ah the fun we had...

"I'll have a bag of chips with no hair" - to Eddie and Pat

"Battered sausage without the bruises"

"Breast of chicken without the bra"

"Crocodile sandwich, and make it snappy"

Lovely chips, and when they get the batter just right their fresh cod is deadly as well.

There's a great chipper in Finglas (can't remember the name) that does a fish box, like a snack box only with chunks of random fish in batter. :cool:

Oh, the Roxy Diner is Swords does a great chicken fillet kebab.

And to the OP, I've always got my chips in a bag, not a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I don't think I've ever even heard of a chipper that isn't run by italians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The nicest chippers I know is Borza's Dundrum, Macaris Dundrum and San Marinos Windy Arbour.
    San Marinos is gorgeous, but Macaris definetly make the nicest chips. Borzas hot dogs are brilliant. Joes in Goatstown is not that appealing, iot is filthy on the outside, he should clean it up a bit.

Well last night I got a delivery from Sorpranos in Greendale, Kilbarrack. I got chips and a ray and I have to say it was one of the best chippers I have ever come across. EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I must say i am very disappointed with the quality of chippers in Dublin.

Thats funkin hilarioes seeign as they're all run by italians for god knows how many years.

For what ? the chips? Any chipper I've ever been in uses bags for the food, with the exception of quater pounders, snack boxes and the like.
    whiskeyman wrote:

Have to give another recommendation to macaris, a class chipper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The best chipper in the country OFFICIALLY is Borza's in Sandymount Village..also right beside the park, so there's a nice place to sit down and eat 'em! :)

(none of these borza chippers are connected btw..i've asked the ones in sandymount and donnybrook..)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

San Marinos is gorgeous.

You're right about that. Kept me going during college.
    Mizzoni's in Rathgar is also very good. My current spot. Can't fault it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Libero's in Deansgrange, yummy yummy, Libero's II for its few weeks it was open too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Theres one near the Summerhill Bus garage that makes the best 'Irish' kabab :) Cant for the life of me think of its name, but it the one when you head down the hill from the bus garage towards Drumcondra.
    Getting hungery thinking about it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

drdre wrote:
    my local barnardos is really good in shankill village.

Total rip off. The staff there are always grumpy and just do their best to shove you out the door as soon as you've walked in.

Macari's and Libero's in Deansgrange are good. I think the one on Newtownpark Avenue was called Macari's as well. Loved that place when I lived in Blackrock. Nice staff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rys

Chopperdog wrote:
    Applehunter,
    I lived in Douglas for a short while and for the life of me ,I cannot remember the name of the fantastic chipper in the town center, very close to O,Sullivans bar.
    No joking, this place advertises itself as and actually is a gourmet chipper. The menu is the most varied and exotic I have ever seen in a chipper anywhere.
    Do you know the name of it AppleH ?

KC's. highly regarded as one of Cork's best chippers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Liberos in deansgrange was a top chipper alright, used to work out there

:v: <Bambi was in dere every lunchtime stuffing his face

Advertisement