Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Civics - is there a 1.5non vtec non jap import existing?

Options
  • 15-12-2005 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Is it me or are the civics hard to follow. There seems to be millions of different versions.

I was thinking of a irish 1.4i `98 - `00 models.
    But i seen a few 1.5non vtecs in the autotrader and i thought these were jap imports but some of these 1.5`s done seem to be? :confused:

Was there a 1.5 in Ireland?
    Also are the Lsi engines non vtec? Is the 1.5L engine in these hatchbacks the same engine thats in the non vtec coupe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

I had the same trouble when looking for a car. I was told there was no non import non vtec 1.5 civics around that year. at least i think it was 98. could have been 96 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

as far as i know the lsi are vetec. some civics are still vetec even the normal non sports ones but they are S.O.H.C. as in single cam instead of twin cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Here is a Euro list from a Irish honda web site called [url]www.jspeed.net:[/url]

http://www.jspeed.net/TechSpecsE.asp

Dont think that the civic Lsi is a Vtec.
    I think the only S.O.H.C civic Vtec is a Jap import 1.5, not to sure on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Ah Civic engines - it seems that there was a different flavour for each month

The 1.5i non-VTEC you mention was only available in the 5 door hatchback version (it looked like a rover). It had 90 bhp and was available until 1997. However, you might find an early registered 1998 version.

This gets more complicated with the fact that there was ALSO a 2 x 1.5i VTEC versions as well! And then a 1.5i Sport version (shorter ratio gearbox)

Here's what I know of (UK models are marked as such):

2dr
    1.6 iLS = 105 bhp non-VTEC
    1.6 iSR = 125 bhp SOHC VTEC
    1.6 VTi = 160 bhp DOHC VTEC (UK)

3dr
    1.4 i / iS = 90 bhp non-VTEC
    1.5 iLS = 114 bhp SOHC VTEC (economy)
    1.6 iES = 125 bhp SOHC VTEC (UK - automatic)
    1.6 VTi = 160 bhp DOHC VTEC

4dr
    1.4 i / iS = 90 bhp non-VTEC
    1.5 iLS = 114 bhp SOHC VTEC
    1.6 iES = 125 bhp SOHC VTEC (UK - automatic)
    1.6 VTi = 160 bhp DOHC VTEC

Now for the biggest mess:

5dr
    1.4i /iS = 90 bhp non-VTEC
    1.5i = 90 bhp non-VTEC
    1.5i = 90 bhp VTEC-E (short lived economy engine, replaced by the 114 bhp engine)
    1.5i LS = 114 bhp SOHC VTEC
    1.5i Sport = 114 bhp SOHC VTEC (UK low ratio gearbox)
    1.6i LS = 105 bhp non-VTEC
    1.6i SR = 125 bhp SOHC VTEC
    1.6 VTi = 160 bhp DOHC VTEC (UK)
    1.8 VTi = 175 bhp DOHC VTEC (UK)

and yes

2.0 TDi = 86 bhp Diesel! (UK)

Aerodeck
    Honda equivalent of a Civic estate, not available here unless specifically imported

1.5i LS = 114 bhp SOHC VTEC
    1.6i ES = 125 bhp SOHC VTEC
    1.8 VTi = 175 bhp DOHC VTEC

This pretty much covers all the engines available for the generation in the UK and Ireland market. I know the Jap import specs vary again. The spec between the models was incredible. For example the 1.4iS 5-door added rear disc brakes, where was the 1.5i 5 door had drums. I think they got up each morning and said: "today we're gonna build a different model!"

Point of note the most 'sophisticated' VTEC engine in this list is the 1.5i 114 bhp. Probably the most common over here in the 4 door version. It was actually a three stage VTEC. Normal, Power and Economy at the time it was the engine to have as an all rounder. But not nearly as much fun as the 1.6i 160 bhp DOHC - only two stages: power and MORE power! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Just to add to the above,if the insurance on the 1.5sohc vtec isnt a problem(its normally not) stay the hell away from the "economy" vtec,its got a screwy gear ratio and is a big let down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

JAYOK - I appreciate that response mate. Very helpful, thanking you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Yeah theres a lot of tarted ones around alright. Hard to find a good clean one. They are all nice to drive even the non vtec ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

In the 98-00 MY there was only one 1.5 litre engine available in Europe, and that was the 114bhp in the 1.5iLS VTEC. Contrary to popular belief this D15 variant is not 3-stage VTEC (as there is only one VTEC spool valve located on the back of the head), but more of a highly strung VTEC-E (E for Economy). There are plenty of these around in 3 and 4 door forms, and the insurance is feck all more than it is on the 1.4.

OTOH, the JDM Civic of the same MY, which is confusingly known as a VTi, is a 3-stage VTEC, developing ~125bhp, but has the Economy cam profiles aswell. There are two VTEC spool valves on this engine.

It's easy enough to get a 1.5iLS these days. The Revenue's screwey estimations of their value makes importing them from the North or the UK worthwhile, and in recent times I've met two small time dealers who are bringing one or two a week in from the North.

[Aside: early Honda tech docs refer to them as spool valves, but latterly they're referred to as actuators or solenoids]

Advertisement