Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6MB/512KB - Smart!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

No it's for home users, apparently
    Why not read the Smart forums, very good and informative they are too :)

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=2
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Anarchist wrote:
    No it's for home users, apparently
    Why not read the Smart forums, very good and informative they are too :)

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=2
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=3

duely bookmarked, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

the one my cousin has up in n.ireland gives him more than advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Have a reported 7072 Kbps Up and 608 Kbps Down

WOW !!!! That makes a change. Are yous sure you read that before posting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Someone post screenshots of IE or FX download managers downloading files, I get a pleasure from looking at them :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I wonder would a reasonable speculation be that Smart want to use this Christmas special to see what kinds of speeds lines are capable of across the subscriber database, as input into a new set of products in the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

They already know what your lines max speed is. Sure Eircom told me that mine can handle 7.5 mbit down x nearly 1m/bit up. But I'm sure Eircom will drag the possible upgrades out as long as possible, perhaps another 12 months after the January upgrades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

If they do it will be stupid thinking on their part the way NTL and Smart have come out charging in the last 9 months or so.

Smart and NTL are great where they are available, but they're available to only a very lucky few. Eircom aren't worried about them all that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Blaster99 wrote:
    I wonder would a reasonable speculation be that Smart want to use this Christmas special to see what kinds of speeds lines are capable of across the subscriber database, as input into a new set of products in the new year.
    Quote from Garfield on the Smart forum:
    We'll take our time on deciding on pricing. I appreciate that other operators have been testing higher speed services (NTL/ eircom). We've offered the upgrade because it was the right thing to do (we reckon), not testing for some future upgrade scenario. If we were testing, we'd just offer everyone up to 24Mb for Christmas (we're not doing that).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Im pretty sure that NTL are currently scaring the sh!t out of eircom these days....10% of their cable customers also have their broadband package!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Praetorian wrote:
    Smart and NTL are great where they are available, but they're available to only a very lucky few. Eircom aren't worried about them all that much.

NTL is available to over half of NTL customers. that's not that few. Eircon are terrified of them. Now that UPC have officially taken over, the cities of Dublin, Cork, Galway and Waterford are covered, not sure about Limerick. Probably not full coverage in Dublin/Cork yet but these cities are where most of Eircon's revenue is. Cable is a far better product and Eircon are going to lose alot of customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

The Chorus network is way way way worse than the eircom network. Eircom aren't scared yet but if NTL actually stops the decade old PR talk and actually starts investing then they may indeed be a real threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Praetorian wrote:
    They already know what your lines max speed is. Sure Eircom told me that mine can handle 7.5 mbit down x nearly 1m/bit up. But I'm sure Eircom will drag the possible upgrades out as long as possible, perhaps another 12 months after the January upgrades.

Is this using their proven highly accurate line test I wonder?

Does anyone know what NTL's actual coverage is or is it finger in the air?

damien.m wrote:
    The Chorus network is way way way worse than the eircom network. Eircom aren't scared yet but if NTL actually stops the decade old PR talk and actually starts investing then they may indeed be a real threat.

The Chorus network in Cork is new I think. NTL have been investing. They have quite a bit more BB customers than they had a year ago and that's not because we all moved to Tallaght.
    Blaster99 wrote:
    Does anyone know what NTL's actual coverage is or is it finger in the air?

All of Galway and Waterford. Dublin is still pretty finger in the air I think. I get the impression it depends when you ring them. They are definitely upgrading areas though, a mate of mine two months ago couldn't get NTL (right at the Red cow) he got BT in two weeks ago and on the same day got a letter from NTL.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

damien.m wrote:

Here, here, however in fairness, they do seem to have been investing a lot in Dublin, Galway and Waterford over the last 12 months.

My friend just got in 3m/512k BB in Cork from Chorus a few days ago. The story so far is a little scary.

1) The sales staff were excellent, my buddy was on the phone to them for about 30 minutes and asked lots of technical questions, most of which she was able to answer, they even gave him an extra €5 a month off, so top marks here.

2) On the install day the install engineers weren't very good, the installer cut my friends satellite cable thinking it was a coax cable!!!! He then got up on my friends roof, walked across the roof of 2 of my friends neighbours, cut their cable and added a splitter to run it to my friends house!!!!

In my friends house he then ran the cable along a wall right next to a radiator that gets extremelly hot.

When the installer was setting up the modem, he wanted to use the USB connector, when my friend said he wanted ethernet, the engineer said, "oh that is much harder"!!! He got it working anyway, but please, ethernet setup isn't hard.

3) It is working now, but most of the time my friend is only getting 1.5m, rather then 3m.

So it looks like Chorus have a lot of work to do to get up to the same level of quality as NTL. Hopefully under UPC, NTL will have a positive influence on Chorus rather then the other way around.

He sounds like the worst engineer ever! How is ethernet harder? If anything it is easier, you don't need drivers. Cable along side the radiator. Clearly he wasn't paying attention in his 6 weeks of training. :rolleyes: The guy who installed my NTL was excellent, different set up and I did half the work before he arrived, but that sounds awful!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

paulm17781 wrote:
    He sounds like the worst engineer ever! How is ethernet harder?

Yes he does and no it isn't harder, as you say it is easier.

My NTL installers were a little better but not great, they managed to break the aerial off my friends TV and they "forgot" to give me back my nice flashlamp after using it in the attic as they didn't have one of their own :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

NTL are a fantastic company.

A friend of mine had BB and TV with them, they cancled both. The bills kept arriving each month. So eventually they stopped paying them for a service they wanted cancled.

A year later with no bills payed, 3 letters sent to the sales manager & various to customer services saying that they were still connected nothing was done.

Free TV & Cable for a year... brilliant. I wish I could go with that company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Well eircom is a great company too then, cause I cancelled by BB and they didn't switch it off, I had if for 1.5 years, was downloading 100gigs per month at least, I didn't online game much back than so I had p2p on 24/7, and then my family just moved, so I had to move too. I'm pretty sure it's still enabled in that appartment.

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote:
    Well eircom is a great company too then, cause I cancelled by BB and they didn't switch it off, I had if for 1.5 years, was downloading 100gigs per month at least, I didn't online game much back than so I had p2p on 24/7, and then my family just moved, so I had to move too. I'm pretty sure it's still enabled in that appartment.

Absolute classic Eircom.

Advertisement