Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wreak of the day;

Options
  • 15-12-2005 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

I'll start a new thread if anyones interested, wreak of the day. Heres a few I came across on www.wreckedexotics.com but I'll be back with more local ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Crash anyone? :p

Oh, and sorry to be a prick but its spelt "wreck".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Sorry to be a p***k but its 1.28a.m. and I've been up since 7.30am and I left my glasses in my car, sorry.:) Some car pictures would be great, its a bit late, for me anyway, to watch a film.

junkyard wrote:
    Sorry to be a p***k but its 1.28a.m. and I've been up since 7.30am and I left my glasses in my car, sorry.:)

Hope it wasn't any of the cars posted above!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Is it just me or do at least two of those look totally fake? (The last two.)

adam

Definite photoshop jobs tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Is it just me or do at least two of those look totally fake? (The last two.)

adam

The last one is part of a Ferrari garage in Holland after a fire, wreckedexotics had pics up of the burntout cars in the garage a while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If you go to wreckedexotics.com you'll see that the Murcilago pics are not fake. They have many more shots of it, from every angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

What about these................

kermit911.jpg

muppet1f355.jpg

Oh and a serious one -

355Wreck.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I feel a little uneasy posting this as it doesn't seem right to do this kind of online rubbernecking. Anyhow, by far the most and worst wrecks I've seen on the internet are on the website of the Hungarian fire service. The site is in Hungarian but can be easily searched using google. A lot of the crashes are obviously fatal. Here is an example - Renault Megane mangled by a bus.
    http://langlovagok.hu/kepek2005/kecskemet/050731_54buszrenault.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

holy sh!t Kersh, what happened that 355 to cause an engine amputation?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Dunno, it was a big one anyway... front looks 'undamaged' too. He was probably parked with his ar5e on a yellow junction box :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

The sign in the foreground is RR for Rail Road - seems plausable that it was hit by a train? Probably tried to race though the junction, and wasn't quick enough.....

(In fact you can see the railway crossing in the background....)

Paddy

Heres another few.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

BrianD3 wrote:
    Here is an example - Renault Megane mangled by a bus.
    http://langlovagok.hu/kepek2005/kecskemet/050731_54buszrenault.shtml

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/50494/20818.jpg

Five Euro NCAP stars my hole. French tinfoil-and-tupperware rubbish.

'c

junkyard wrote:
    Heres another few.

crash66.jpg is a good one - not unlike Citroen's latest ad campaign. Perhaps it's their latest adjustable suspension based parking aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

junkyards, megane coupé pics are weird! how the heck did the driver get caught up and wrapped around in that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

20817.jpg

Sniff! :(

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

The wreck that brings a tear to my eye is the one when a transporter carrying vintage
    Porsche 356 speedsters and coupes bottomed out on a railroad crossing, all were destroyed when the train struck. :eek:
    The collection belonged to one person too :(

speedster04.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

http://www.wreckedexotics.com/murcielago/murcielago_20040407_001.shtml

I think it is a fake as its got european plates in AU!?! The shadows dont look correct and the car in the posted image doesnt look right. May be real but I somehow dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

astec123 wrote:
    http://www.wreckedexotics.com/murcielago/murcielago_20040407_001.shtml

I think it is a fake as its got european plates in AU!?! The shadows dont look correct and the car in the posted image doesnt look right. May be real but I somehow dont think so.

G'day mate, read it again- it says Austria :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

JustinOval wrote:
    The wreck that brings a tear to my eye is the one when a transporter carrying vintage
    Porsche 356 speedsters and coupes bottomed out on a railroad crossing, all were destroyed when the train struck. :eek:
    The collection belonged to one person too :(

speedster04.jpg
    as the mechanic in doc holywood said to michael j fox "i can fix that" :D

Any of the new Renaults are no better however they got their ratings. Having seen and towed many Renaults I'd have to say that I would hate to be in a bad crash in one of them, they just disintergrate when they hit anything more so than any other car. Even the stronger sections seem to be much weaker than other makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

They're designed to disintegrate. If you sit inside a solid lump of metal, you absorb all of the energy of a crash. If the car absorbs most of it, so much the better.

Most of these crash shots show the cars after the emergency services have cut the unfortunates out - hence the truly mangled appearance.

junkyard wrote:
    Any of the new Renaults are no better however they got their ratings. Having seen and towed many Renaults I'd have to say that I would hate to be in a bad crash in one of them, they just disintergrate when they hit anything more so than any other car. Even the stronger sections seem to be much weaker than other makes.
    More unfounded Renault bashing from you junkyard, first you say they're assembled like an "airfix kit without the glue", now they're deathtraps in a crash as well.

Objective evidence points to Renaults being pretty safe in a crash. Even if you leave aside EuroNCAP. For instance the Folksam group in Sweden analyses real life crashes and rates the Megane and Laguna highly. Also look at honestjohn.co.uk and you'll see that the old Megane has a 3 out of 9 point rating for fatal crashes. Not sure exactly where this comes from but again it is based on real life data. Lower is better the Jag XJ and Toyota Landcruiser VX have similarly low ratings.

Re: the photos of the Megane that has been hit by a bus. It would have been a similar result had it been any other car. Bus side impacting car at speed = always disasterous for the car. As for the the photos of the Megane that is wrapped around the Armco barrier. Try this in a "solid" car like a 3 series and Golf, I guarantee that the result will be much the same.

As far as I'm concerned Renaults are not a strong car, you don't have to take my word for it ask any panel beater. In my opinion modern cars are not well built in general. If you compare a Japanese car to a European car you will find that find that the Japanese car is, in fact, better built and easier to work on. There seems to be too much use of plastic to be safe. French cars in general seem very flimsy in their construction, but then again I only work on them, tow them and scrap them for a living and have seen them and other cars, first hand after crashes, what would I know. Don't believe everything you read in a car magazine.

junkyard wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned Renaults are not a strong car, you don't have to take my word for it ask any panel beater. In my opinion modern cars are not well built in general. If you compare a Japanese car to a European car you will find that find that the Japanese car is, in fact, better built and easier to work on. There seems to be too much use of plastic to be safe. French cars in general seem very flimsy in their construction, but then again I only work on them, tow them and scrap them for a living and have seen them and other cars, first hand after crashes, what would I know. Don't believe everything you read in a car magazine.
    Sorry, but since when did panel beaters and those who tow and scrap cars become experts on car safety. So no, I won't take your word for it. I'd prefer to look at objective scientific and statistical evidence from the likes of EuroNCAP, MIRA, IIHS, Folksam, TUV, ADAC etc.

Browse the website of the Hungarian fire service. You will see crashes between all different types of "strong" and "weak" cars. BMWs vs Suzukis, Mercs vs Fiats etc. Some of the results might surprise you. An awful lot depends on the angle of the hit, the height of bumpers and loads of other factors.

And as DS has already stated, modern cars are *supposed* to crumple up in a crash so it's not even about strength. Crash a 1950s Cadillac tank into a modern BMW with both going 30 mph and see what happens to a) the cars b) the occupants. Your BMW doesn't look so "strong" now as the Cadillac will rip through the front end like its made of tinfoil. But at least its occupants will be alive - unlike the Cadillacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

And as DS has already stated, modern cars are *supposed* to crumple up in a crash so it's not even about strength. Crash a 1950s Cadillac tank into a modern BMW with both going 30 mph and see what happens to a) the cars b) the occupants. Your BMW doesn't look so "strong" now as the Cadillac will rip through the front end like its made of tinfoil. But at least its occupants will be alive - unlike the Cadillacs.

...........I'm still buying a '59 ok ?? !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Id rather still be in the Caddy, rip up that beemer like tin foil. :D

Cadillac > Beemer.

Ever-so-slightly off topic, but anyone remember the Audi 'procon ten' system of the 80s? Apart from it being mentioned in their ads at the time, never really heard much more about it or its effectiveness.

Regading Renaults, I like the plastic wings on the Megane which can be pushed right in and still retain their shape. However when they do get broken the shards and sharp edges are like knives.

• Advertisement

Ficus wrote:
    I refer back to an experiment done last year between a 20 year old espace and a brand new espace done on 5th gear. they had a head on inpact at 35mph. the old espace was wreced with a total failure of the cabin and full intrusion of the engine and dash into the footwell and the driver. the safety expert confirmed that the occupant would be dead.
    on the other hand, the new espace was damaged badly yes, but the cabin was fully intact and they occupant would have had no problem walking away .
    Ah but the test with the new Espace doesn't count because it only hit another Renault. Should have used a 1985 VW Polo instead, now that's a safe vehicle. German engineering and all that.

Good thing they didn't use an Alfa Romeo in the test though. There wouldn't have been a crash at all as the Alfa would have broken down before it happened.

:D

Advertisement