Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wreak of the day;

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Some more photos;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

junkyard wrote:
    Some more photos;

I was looking at those ones earlier, the 2 GTs wrecked too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

ciarsd wrote:
    i made the very same comment on receipt of those images :D

without sounding like a heartless so and so, it does look a little staged? :confused:

No - I have seen trees narrower than that slice a car in two and not break - some trees have incredible strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I have seen trees narrower than that slice a car in two and not break - some trees have incredible strength.

Indeed, even a very small tree will not just snap as one might have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

BrianD3 wrote:
    AFAIK Procon Ten wasn't marketed very well by Audi and it never caught on. So everyone else went down the airbag route and after a while Audi followed suit. Procon Ten was probably harder for Joe Public to understand and visualise. Also there were reports of Audis needing expensive repairs after low speed crashes due to the Procon Ten starting to work.

I have a '93 Audi 80 with Procon Ten. I removed the engine & gearbox for a rebuild earlier this year, and took a look at the system while I was down there - metal cables run around a rear-facing "nose" on the top of the gearbox casing (although the Audi is FWD, the engine and 'box are mounted north-south, like a RWD car).
    When the engine & gearbox are pushed backwards in a shunt, the nose drags on the cables, tensioning the seatbelts, and pulling the steering column into the dashboard, away from the driver. (Procon Ten stands for "PROgrammed CONtraction & TENsioning of the Seat Belts and Steering Column", by the way).
    It's a nice system to have on a car, considering that airbags weren't common in 1986 (when Audi first launched it). As regards small shunts causing partial deployment, and expensive bills, I doubt that this was any more of an issue than what happens today when loads of airbags go off in a 10km/h "bump". However this was the first system with the "expensive bump" repair-bill issue, so it probably did its image no good at all.
    Still, I have the last laugh - my car is now over 10 years old, and I don't have to replace the airbag module(s) - check your handbook or car-mounted stickers and you'll find that airbag modules are only guaranteed to work for 10 years - after that, the manufacturer recommends that they are replaced (financially speaking, this will write-off many cars...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

An interesting one I came across, how did she do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

junkyard wrote:
    An interesting one I came across, how did she do it?

Thats impressive strength in those cables! :D:D

:eek: :eek: :(

junkyard wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :(

You get an e-mail when new pics are posted on wreckedexotics too?

• Advertisement

Yes I do and look forward to it every month.....just as long as I don't appear on it myself.:rolleyes: :D:D

junkyard wrote:
    Yes I do and look forward to it every month.....just as long as I don't appear on it myself.:rolleyes: :D:D

If you see a 97 D red Micra next month it'll probably be me. Only 3 more days :cool:

Give yourself a chance man! Everyones entitled to a couple of tips at the start, just as long as you live to tell the tale. Good luck with the new car Squirrel, once you get on the road no doubt you'll be counting down the days to age 25 then to get something really fast. Not that there's anything wrong with a Micra, I know when I started out I paid £1600 to insure a wreck of a Fiat 127 van I bought for £270 but it was certainly better than walking.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

junkyard wrote:
    Shhhhh... don't mention the R word!:D I know its all about surviving the crash but I don't fancy getting showered by metal and plastic either and the fact that the slightest tip and the thing disintegrates.

Look at all those F1 drivers driving around in their disintegrating deathtraps, sure if any of them have a crash at any decent speed they'll never get out ali........

hmmmmmmmmm.

I wish i'd got pictures of my crash a few years back that held up all the traffic going to/from the leaopardstown festival just down from Lamb doyles. Day after Stephen s day I think. I came round a blind corner to be met with a guy in a hiace sideways across the road. I broadsided him and he ended up up on the verge on the side of the road to my right. My dads Civic needed the wing and most of the front replaced. Good job my uncles a panelbeater. One of the gards (a snotty woman) was giving me a bit of a lecture about going to fast (I hadnt been) when they got in their car and went to pull out of the same driveway the guy I hit was pulling out of, when a middle aged woman came skidding down the road straight into the drivers side wing of their garda car.

junkyard wrote:
    Give yourself a chance man! Everyones entitled to a couple of tips at the start, just as long as you live to tell the tale. Good luck with the new car Squirrel, once you get on the road no doubt you'll be counting down the days to age 25 then to get something really fast. Not that there's anything wrong with a Micra, I know when I started out I paid £1600 to insure a wreck of a Fiat 127 van I bought for £270 but it was certainly better than walking.:)

We've had the car for my 2 older brothers and older sister, I'm getting insurance for my birthday. Touch wood I keep the car and myself in one piece.

Advertisement