Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saleen 'Performance upgrade' *ahem*!

Options
  • 15-12-2005 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Taken from AutoExpress news...

Saleen is now offering buyers of its 750bhp S7 Twin Turbo supercar the option of a 'performance upgrade'. It costs £46,500 on top of the S7's £320,000 list price and boosts the 7-litre twin-turbo V8 to a claimed 1000bhp. Coupled with a relatively light kerbweight of 1338kg, the huge power should allow the S7 to challenge the Bugatti Veyron as the fastest production car in the world.

car_portal_pic_22866.jpg

car_portal_pic_22868.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

It is certainly nicer looking than the bugatti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah it looks much nicer than the buggati and also i think its a bit cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Given what I've read about the engineering required to get the Bugatti to 253mph (in particular, the engineering required to keep it from flying and its tyres from disintegrating), I suspect that the Saleen will need more than a simple engine upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Given what I've read about the engineering required to get the Bugatti to 253mph (in particular, the engineering required to keep it from flying and its tyres from disintegrating), I suspect that the Saleen will need more than a simple engine upgrade.
    I agree - for all of Saleens success in racing in the US, he is still a small time builder of exotic cars (they are as ugly as a bag of frogs in my opinion) but saying they will challenge the Veyron is abit like suggesting TVR have the ability to do the same with an overpowered Speed Twelve

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Back in 1993 the Dauer 962 LM became the fastest street legal production car by doing 252mph on VW's Ehra-Leissen test track.
    (0-60mph in 2.6 seconds). It's a 3 litre twin-turbo 730bhp but much lighter than the Veyron at only ~1000kg. When the car is very light (like the Saleen)and well powered it doesn't take quite the same level of engineering as the Veyron did to reach the same performance levels.

I think I'd go for a yellow one

Dauer962a.jpg

Dauer962.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

The saleen is a way nicer looking car then the Bugatti in my opinion.
    It looks great in the yellow or candy red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

The saleen could challenge the bugatti, it is suppose to have alot of down force in relation to its weight. Think one of its selling points was that at a certain speed it had enough down force to driven upside down, i.e. on the roof of a tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

prospect wrote:
    It is certainly nicer looking than the bugatti
    'tis ugly in my opinion. It look like the kind of supercar you would design as a 6 year old. The Bugatti just has more presence and looks expensive.

Delta_ie wrote:
    The saleen could challenge the bugatti, it is suppose to have alot of down force in relation to its weight. Think one of its selling points was that at a certain speed it had enough down force to driven upside down, i.e. on the roof of a tunnel.

The lambo Diablo could suposedly do the same thing. I'd love to see it attempted but itd be almost impossible to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

'tis ugly in my opinion. It look like the kind of supercar you would design as a 6 year old. The Bugatti just has more presence and looks expensive.

I concur.

After the Top Gear feature, and perhaps in part due to their quality production and camera work, I would go as far as to say the Veyron is handsome. That thing above is umimaginative and bland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I love the veyron, Its a very original looking car. which could harly be said about the saleen. Looks like a cross between an NSX and Testarossa.

Honda-NSX-41.jpg

S

I love the veyron, Its a very original looking car. which could harly be said about the saleen. Looks like a cross between an NSX and Testarossa.

Honda-NSX-41.jpg

S

I LOVE THAT CAR!!!
    The NSX is one of my all time fav cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CorporalCarrot

I totally concur with the last few posters. To me the Saleen looks like an old design, a derivative of a number of different cars, including bits of porsche, ferrari and yes the nsx.

OTOH, the Veyron, IMHO, looks fantastic. Total road presence. If you saw one you would immediately know it was different. And it looks futuristic and modern........you could kinda see Tom Cruise driving it in minority report.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

After the XJ220 got a bit of a slating a few years back it appears that the concept of the design, ie. long overhangs and huge width is pretty much back in vogue...or is this just the easiest way to get what you want out of the design:

Saleen
    Maserati MC12
    Ferrari Enzo FXXXXXXXXX (basically the same as the Maser)

Three off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

el tel wrote:
    Dauer962.jpg

Reminds me of the Batmobile!!!

Slightly related, I stumbled on this whilst browsing last night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

that pic of the saleen looks savage. i would never buy a buggati even if i had the money.

Is the Bugatti actually available on 'open' sale, ie. if you have the money you can buy one, as opposed to Enzo's, FXXX etc. that are invite only...I presumed they are as per Pagnini, Saleen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Apparently all of the Bugatti veyron's were purchased long before they were manufactured.

Advertisement