Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Hi Fi

Options
  • 15-12-2005 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I currently have a small Sony micro hifi in my kitchen. Its time to upgrade.....preferably before xmas.

The budget is around 1,000.

I was thinking of a Bose 3.2.1. system, but I think its mainly geared towards home cinema whereas I'll be using a system just for radio and cd's.

I was also thinking of a Bose Acoustimass 5 system but then I have to buy and amp and cd player and fm tuner. It wouldn't look great in a kitchen.

Another option was a Bose Acoustic Wave or a Wave music system!

Could anyone recomend a good system for around 1,000?

Cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

I'm getting a Creative Soundworks CD/Radio at €299.

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/search.do?productCode=CRESOU

I saw a demo of one in Arnotts and had to have it. The sound is stunning and I wanted somthing small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Have to agree with full forward, the creative have exceptional sound for it's size.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

jamieh wrote:

Hey all,

I currently have a small Sony micro hifi in my kitchen. Its time to upgrade.....preferably before xmas.

The budget is around 1,000.

I was thinking of a Bose 3.2.1. system, but I think its mainly geared towards home cinema whereas I'll be using a system just for radio and cd's.

I was also thinking of a Bose Acoustimass 5 system but then I have to buy and amp and cd player and fm tuner. It wouldn't look great in a kitchen.

Another option was a Bose Acoustic Wave or a Wave music system!

Could anyone recomend a good system for around 1,000?

Cheers!!

My personal opinion on Bose is that they are overpriced for the quality that you get.
    I.e. for the same amount of money you can get a far better sound OR for a lot less money you can get the same sound as a Bose.

Also, as it is a kitchen radio, you do realise that the kitchen is not the best room in the house for hi tech electronic equipment. Steam and dust mix nicely and it *will* get into the radio.

I would recommend a normal radio from Power City that will do you for listening to the radio at dinner.
    Or...
    ...if you are really after high quality music, why don't you splash out and upgrade your home cinema amp to one that can handle multiple zones???

Then all you need to do is run a set of speaker cables into two nice speakers in the kitchen. The amps also handle multiple zone IR so you can set it up with a receiver to change channels from the kitchen even though the amp is in the sitting room. If I particularly wanted HiFi sound in the kitchen this is the option I would choose.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Bose and B&O are overpriced crap imho...

A grand is a lot to spend on a hifi for a room that has terrible accoustic dynamics in the first place (if you have stone floor).
    If you still want to spend €1000, your best option is to go the separates route. http://www.cloneyaudio.com in blackrock will be able to help out.

Otherwise, Denon make excellent Mini Hifi systems that should fit the bill nicely. Spend the grand on a nioce system for the living room!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

As has been said, wouldn't spend alot in the kitchen. Teac seem to have some nice lifestyle systems, but not sure where you can get them in Ireland:

TEAC CD-X6 CDX6 WALL MOUNT STEREO SYSTEM
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sound-and-vision/sound/audio-systems/browse?search=TEAC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

this is a nice system, and allows you to wirelessly (or wired through ethernet) your music from your pc, if your so inclined.

http://www.sony.ie/view/ShowArticle.action?section=en_IE_Products&article=1121156656253&site=odw_en_IE

EDIT, i think it retails around €300-€350

Advertisement