Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XP Install

• 15-12-2005 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I have XP home installed on my PC. I want to install it on another PC. Can I use the same disk and product key? Or do I have to buy a new copy of XP?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

New key. You don't need to buy a disk, just contact MS for a new product key, not sure how much that's going to cost though.
    At least I think that's the case, I don't think MS allow you to install a copy on more than one machine.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Lastmanback

So the product key that comes with an XP disk is set for that 1 PC only? IS there no other way around it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Well, not legally no.
    Read the agreement that comes with windows, or I'm sure it's on the MS website somewhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So the product key that comes with an XP disk is set for that 1 PC only? IS there no other way around it?
    NO
    and if it's an OEM copy then you aren't even allowed to move it to another PC.

Microsoft give huge discounts on pre-installed windows because there are strings attached.

Read the license that came with it - EULA.TXT to see what you are allowed to do.

There are any number of free alternatives to Windows if you can't afford it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement