Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why?

Options
  • 15-12-2005 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I would like to understand better exactly why I can't get broadband in my area. I live in Gorey, Co. Wexford, 5 mins. walk from town, and broadband is available in parts of the town. However my phone number doesn't pass the tests with eircom or Smart Telecom.

Could it be line quality? Distance to the exchange? When is that situation likely to change?

Any info on how to find out more appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

The usual reasons are:

1) Distance from exchange. If you are 5mins walk away it shouldn't be an issue.
    2) Line Quality - Signal to Noise ratio
    3) Splitters - you and your neighbour(s) share the same piece of copper, ie your line is split (a cost saving technique used by eircom when copper is scarce). Splitting a line means DSL won't work on it.

"When is that situation likely to change?" - when you get broadband from a different source other than eircom perhaps (ie Wireless etc)? When the splitter is removed from your line (near impossible)? Or when the line quality improves (drier weather sometimes helps).

Others have suggested removing all extension phones from your phone sockets and just using 1 non-mains powered telephone for 4-6 weeks (eircom tests their lines every month) to see if your line changes to a pass...

Viking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

and

4. Shoddy wiring in your own house .

Advertisement