Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo movie rumours.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I disagree.

I think they could do a HL movie. The fact that Gordon is mostly on his own in the game doesn't exactly have to be recreated in the game...and I hesitate to use the Doom movie as an example but there you go...i did.

I think the concept of the Black Mesa project int he middle of nowhere with Gordon fighting the onslaught of creatures and marines would be a great action/adventure movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not exactly an original concept though. Give me a Panzer Dragoon film based on Saga or Orta over generic sci-fi tripe any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

give me pac man: the movie any day :D

it'd be epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

give me pac man: the movie any day :D

it'd be epic.
    Don't jump the gun man, I'm sweating on a Pong trilogy...

Pong!
    Pong Returns!
    Son of Pong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i think we should ban retro from mentioning anything panzer dragoon related for a week & fine him every time after that :)

hl2's 7 day war could be interesting as a movie, but it would just be a mindless action movie (wait why am i complaining)

was halo originally based on the books?

• Advertisement

I thought the books were after the game!?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

I agree with retro, a movie based around half life would, inevitably, end up just another tired old action flick with absolutely nothing new to offer anyone.
    All of the essential ingredients that make the games so compelling to play(as retro said, the script not really being one of them) would be extremely hard to replicate in a movie, not impossible mind you, just really really difficult.
    Basically to pull a good movie from half life, or indeed halo(again full of rehashed sci-fi ideas), there'd have to be an absolutley genius director, stroyboarder,script writer and a lot more on board, and, with the current lack of
    imagination and creativity in blockbuster land at the moment i'm afraid i just dont see this happening.
    Batman Begins was a godsend, unfortunately i don't see movies based on comic books ,games or whatever of this calibre coming along to often.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I did like the seting of Half-Life 1. Nothing else like it. Instead of a sci-fi/urban/WW2 setting thats seen all to often it was a science facility in the middle of nowhere. It was something new and gave the developers free reign to make some wonderfully original levels.

Films should really be made based on games with decent stories and not on popular franchises. Did anyone expect Mario Bros., Street fighter or House of the Dead to be any good. Halo I think would make a great film although nothing very special. At the very most it will be a fantastic sci fi action flick. Halo has a decent, if not original plotline. I think something like Vagrant Story would also make a great film. The game didn't have the best combat system but the story was fantastic and really lifted a flawed action RPG to the status of a classic.

And you really all should play Panzer Dragoon Saga and Orta. Saga is expensive and very rare but you xbox owners have no excuse for missing out on Orta.

Instead of a Halo movie, why not ringworld? True Halo does have a nice little story ticking along in the Background, but don't really think its deep enough as is to make a really good flick, unless PJs little factory or bungie decide to do some
    expansive work with the world and characters its just going to be more 'okay-ish' sci fi i.m.o.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

thats it €5 fine to retro :)

(i have orta & it is pretty & cool)

ringworld is a decent book but give me a film based on some of Iain M Banks novels (Consider Phleabas would be an amazing movie)

• Advertisement

but thats my point exactly, i'd rather see some of the really great sci-fi books out there(and there are plenty) get converted to movies than some flimsily plotted game...afraid its just a symptom of non risk taking, non-inventive commercial hollywood, they only really want to invest in a name thats already widely known for this type of movie

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I did like the seting of Half-Life 1. Nothing else like it. Instead of a sci-fi/urban/WW2 setting thats seen all to often it was a science facility in the middle of nowhere. It was something new and gave the developers free reign to make some wonderfully original levels.

This is my point...kinda.

You have the setting and general idea for a great movie. You don't need to copy the game frame for frame. It's the general idea that they could take and run with it. There's plenty of poeple out there that can write amazing scripts , most have acomplished alot more with a lot less.
    hairball wrote:
    Basically to pull a good movie from half life, or indeed halo(again full of rehashed sci-fi ideas), there'd have to be an absolutley genius director, stroyboarder,script writer and a lot more on board,

Every great movie has had a good scriptwriter and director so I don't really see your point about that. Look at Kong. Great movie imo but on paper its a big ape falling in love with an aspiring actress in a jungle. Not exactly oscar stuff but with a good team of people PJ made it into a modern day classic (imho).

hairball wrote:
    but thats my point exactly, i'd rather see some of the really great sci-fi books out there(and there are plenty) get converted to movies than some flimsily plotted game...afraid its just a symptom of non risk taking, non-inventive commercial hollywood, they only really want to invest in a name thats already widely known for this type of movie
    That's hollywood for you. There's plenty of story's out there that I'd love to see on the big screen, but would the public know or care about them...

Movies based on well known franchises require less advertisement.....an unfortunate fact of life.

My point was that to make it anything other than 'meh' they'd need those on board and since PJ isn't actually directing the halo movie I'm afraid thats one hole that, until we hear who WILL be directing remains unplugged.
    I'm sure they'll do a bang up job visually(it IS weta), but i'm sure as we all know, pretty cinematography and mindblowing effects sequences do not a great movie make( certainly saw that in the last hour of return of the king).

Totally agree. But then again what do we expect from game/comic tie ins.

Halo should be very interesting though. If it is good I would expect movie producers to be dropping into the nearest electronic boutique and buying up all the top 10. I do wish Resi was done properly though...such a great premise for a movie.

I'm surprised EA hasn't published a game with Hollywood in mind...or have they

FIFA 06 road to world cup: The Movie :)

lol@ fifa movie.
    I agree about resident evil actually, one of the few that actually has got what
    it takes.If only romero had gone ahead with it.

Advertisement