Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who buys Christmas pressies for their pets?

Options
  • 15-12-2005 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭

Well, do you? I must admit to having bought some of those stockings you can get in the pet shops with some cat treats and a couple of toys, but frankly our cats don't seem to like the cat treats, so they end up getting thrown away, and the toys usually get completely ignored in favour of playing with the wrapping paper from our presents :)

BTW, discovered a great toy for playing with our cats ... a big long pheasant tail feather! It seems to really get them going (association with real-life birds?), and it has the advantage that it's long enough to avoid having your fingers caught up in the mass of claws and teeth as they try to attack it, and feathers being the way they are, they don't seem to be able to actually grab it with their claws or teeth either, adding to the fun :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shinners21

Ha ha..yea i've bought two of those stockings for my kittie's already. Could hardly leave them out. But as you say, Pixie, our youngest kitten will definately end up just playing with wrapping paper!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think I'll buy some of those canine selection stockings for my two westies actually, but that aside, I'm looking at one of those massive fur lined soft baskets for them. They used to love squeaky toys and such when they were pups, but now, unless its regarding food or comfort, they just ain't interested...!

I (my cat) won cat of the month on pigsback.com so we got one of the whiskas cat beds in the post yesterday...so cool, it's like an early X-mas pressie for them... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Mine have stockings hung up which will be filled with toys,they'll also get their favourite dinner of boiled chicken breasts. I don't buy them the ready filled stocking from the supermarket because i wouldn't let them eat all the junk that's in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Shinners21 wrote:
    I (my cat) won cat of the month on pigsback.com so we got one of the whiskas cat beds in the post yesterday...so cool, it's like an early X-mas pressie for them... :p

I was monitoring that, but I couldn't identify Beenz's breed to enter! What did you get, and congratulations! :)

Seanie.

• Advertisement

Seanie M wrote:
    I was monitoring that, but I couldn't identify Beenz's breed to enter! What did you get, and congratulations! :)

Seanie.

Well he just won the November round so he won the Whiskas cat bed. Its really cute. He is in the final now for the €1500 prize, its for vet fees, kennel fees, whiskas supply, a week-end away for the owner and more stuff...cool prize.!!I was delighted when he got through. Did you see him.
    Beenz is a real cutie! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

OK might as admit this now

For the dogs I have

A Stocking each
    A new teddy each
    A new kong each (have them to them already)
    4 pigs ear each
    2 Bags of Choc Drops
    2 Bags of Doggie Cookies
    50 Chew Sticks
    1 Hamper full of toys & treats (bought in aid of pet charity)
    1 new coat for Jess.

For the Cats

1 Stocking between them
    2 Crinkle Tunnels
    2 Toys on a pole
    1 bag of fish treats
    1 bag of treat drops
    A few mice and toys
    Catnip

thats it so far :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fuzzie Bear

Its my puppies first christmas and my other dogs first christmas with us as he was a year old when we got him.

So... its like having kids at christmas... I have all their toys picked out and I'm getting that really cheap wrapping paper that tears easily, cos they love tearing paper (and sofas, carpets etc... lol)

They're getting their first plush toy this christmas as they've been too chewy before and would have destroyed it - hoping they will use it as a comfort teddy.

They're also getting a plush bed as they ate the last one about 3 months ago and have been made sleep on fleece blankets until they stop chewing

I think its lovely that people feel their pets are so much part of their family that they get pressies too - even if its just a bone from the butchers...

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Fuzzie I have banned myself from going near pet-bliss until after christmas I always end up spending a fortune :p it would do me better to actual get some christmas presents in for people :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I get a stocking for my guinea pig each year and he loves all the stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Dogs
    2 new beds each
    new collars
    dvd for Ellie cause she likes to watch tv
    misc food treats
    Cat
    food treats
    Gerbils
    food treats & new toys :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

We used to buy presents for the big set of twin cats (they're 6) but they're never bothered with the toys and puke up the treats :( one of them likes catnip so maybe I'll get him some of that! The other will be quite happy with decent scraps from the kitchen!

The kittens love toys so they'll be easy to please. They are so spoilled already, my sister has loads of baby born stuff, a buggy, a bed, a rocker and a carrier so they sleep in those!!

As for the chipmunks, I dunno what to get them. Can never be too careful with what to feed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

This year will be the 17th year my cat up home gets a stocking although relatives pooch has found it and ate half the stuff out of it! So I'll have to get her another one. The cats prefer cat milk anyway, they go mad for it but they usually get all sorts of scraps of steak and salmon etc no wonder my mother complains they won't eat their cat food. All my own critters get spoilt year round and Santa has me broke so aside from the recent toys and treats until the new year they will be getting nowt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

This year will be the 17th year my cat up home gets a stocking

Is that the one cat, that is 17 years old??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Cats will often live into their early 20s without showing the signs of old age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

I bought my boyfriend's dog a chew toy - he doesn't live with us so the squeaking won't annoy me ;)

My family are getting a new puppy any day now so I bought it a little collar just for the sake of getting it something. I'm so excited - my cat and dog both died in the last couple of years so it's going to be great having a little puppy around again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I was over in Carrigaline on Saturday and there's a new pet supplies store opened on the road from Carrigaline to Crosshaven in an industrial estate they have a great selection, some tropical fish and a lovely rabbit. I would have loved to have bought the rabbit, he/she was very tame. I got all my Christmas presents for my dog there.

Advertisement