Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Connection to..

Options
  • 15-12-2005 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭

Been getting this every now and then. Playing on a server and then it just pauses, and sends me back to the multiplayer screen and it tells me i lost connection the server. My ping shows fine, and i can just connect again, however sometimes it'll jump out again and give the same error. Now i know it's not my connection as it happened to me at a lan last week, and i also know it's not my ntwk as i've 2 1,000 ntwks cards and tried both. WTF else could it be. It's not that bad, just happens every now and then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

That mainly happens due to the server crashing.

Often you will notice that if you reconnect, it is on
    a different level and only about 5 people in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

wish it was, i connect and the same guys are there. At the lan the guys bside me were still playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Been getting this every now and then. Playing on a server and then it just pauses, and sends me back to the multiplayer screen and it tells me i lost connection the server. My ping shows fine, and i can just connect again, however sometimes it'll jump out again and give the same error. Now i know it's not my connection as it happened to me at a lan last week, and i also know it's not my ntwk as i've 2 1,000 ntwks cards and tried both. WTF else could it be. It's not that bad, just happens every now and then.

Used to have this problem all the time, in the end I found out it was UTV's problem. Switched to digiweb and haven't looked back since. Check your ISP. WHo are you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

It also happens to me when the IBB connection
    dies for 2 or 3 seconds.

The four of us would be playing, then smack,
    connection problems.

I'm IBB too, its the fact that i lost connection at a lan gaem thats confusing me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I'm IBB too, its the fact that i lost connection at a lan gaem thats confusing me.

That could have been lost packets or something. You are always guarteed a few drop out of servers with BF2.

I would contact IBB and ask them what they think. I have heard they are useless thou by a few people on here who play online games and they have connection probs in BF2 and CoD2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

It's seemingly just a part of BF2 life! Sometimes it picks up again for I totally lose connection, but more often than not it just ends back on the main screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

This has happened to me on and off the internet, its a problem related to packet loss and bad game design

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Yeah I had that problem too, seems one of those carpet nails had gone through the telephone wire. Fixed it and no more connectionproblems. I would think that it is rarely the server fault, unless your getting major lag or something. But just dropping out for no reason would have to be something on your end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

couple of times i've had it freeze up (engine still runs though, so water moves etc.) and tell me i have connection problems, only to sort itself out and away we go again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Just got the game and I`m getting the same problem. I send off an email to ea support uk and this is what I got back:

--The problem you are having is likely to be with the Internet connection you are using in some way. You can double check this by seeing if single player works okay. If it does and multiplayer does not, then it will be a connection issue. Please try the following to solve issues you may have with your connection stopping you from using this feature.

If you are using a firewall - either through software on your PC such as ZoneAlarm or BlackICE, or through a seperate hardware firewall, this may stop you being able to play ther game online. Try temporariliy disabling your firewall to see if this resolves the issue. If it does, you will need to configure your firewall correctly to allow the game data to pass through it. Please consult your firewall documentation for details. You may also need to contact your ISP as sometimes, depending on the hardware there may be port restrictions or a firewall on the device you use to connect to the ISP itself.

Also, as with all games our software uses specific ports. Ports are like boat lanes in a river. The river being the Internet and the lanes, the ports. For example, when you open a web page you are using port 80 and MSN Messenger communicates through port 6901. If you have a router, the ports need to be 'Port Forwarded' on to your computer's IP Address. An IP Address is like a Post Code. So you will be telling those boat lanes to go directly to your house. This ensures that the game data is being sent to the correct computer. Our manuals typically have a page that tells you which ports the game uses or alternatively check the readme file. For information on how to perform port forwarding contact the supplier of the router/modem.

It is also good idea to close any software you may have running in the background of the PC to eliminate a conflict with another piece of software.

I would also suggest that you contact your ISP for advise on any restrictions on your connection or ports which may be blocked to you on their systems. Often the service provider can make changes to your account allowing you to play multiplayer games.

Also, make sure that you have the latest patch for the game from the games website, this will be needed to ensure that your are running the latest version of the game and that it will match the other players versions.

Sometimes there can be server problems with the online match up servers, so if none of this helps the issue, please try again in a few days to see if the situation has changed.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Robert M.
    EA Support Centre, UK and Ireland
    electronicarts.co.uk
    electronicarts.ie--

I run zonealarm, so I turned that off............still get "your connection to server was lost"(*)

I`m not even going to try it in single player because I obviously won`t get this error message (*)

I`ll try to read up on ports and port forwarding now, and get onto my isp (IBB) after xmas etc, to check that out, I`m pretty sure thats what it is.

But what I`m wondering is if you have a port blocked then why would you be able to join a bf2 server at all, I mean it would work all out, or it wouldn`t work at all, I thought??! :confused:

Curious does it happen straighty away, it only happens after around an hour or 2 on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Its completely random for me. Yes sometimes it happens when I join a server, other times right in the middle of the game. Last nite I played two rotations of strike at karkland with no problems. Then bam get that error message. I find the rounds on the map are way too short (i.e. 100/200 tickets) and taking into account all the loading times and getting the error messages, it really adds up. I never play bf2 unless a friend of mine asks me too, because it is SO MUCH hassle !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 I_M_Orphan

does a punkbuster box appear sayin anythin cause then it could be you need to update punkbuster

i've been gettin that, i realy should fix it,its weird after 20 kills i get kicked :mad:... luckily its only one server

Advertisement