Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom broadband in Swords and contentio rates

• 15-12-2005 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

For the last 4 weeks, my 1Mb/s has dropped to 200Kb/s.
    I contacted Eircom support and after a few tests he made me run, he said that this was unfortunate but there is a contentio rate that applies and lots of ppl in the area must be sharing the bandwidth. He gave the option of upgrading to business starter package (lower contentio rate) or check with another provider

As a result, my VPN connection to work constantly resets after 2,3 mn because the b/w is too slow

has anyone on Eircom Broadband experienced this ? The reason why I'm asking is that I switched to Tele2 and coincidence or not, this decrease applies just after I got a call from Eircom to switch back to them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I doubt it is contention. What does your modem say the line speed is?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

I believe it was 1024kbps downstream if I remember

I have the PDA, Mac and PC and laptop all plugged in and tested individually. All 3 respond with the same results with a bandwidth test. They're connected wirelessly and I also connected them with an ethernet cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Blaster99 wrote:
    I doubt it is contention. What does your modem say the line speed is?

The Tyrrelstown exchange in D15 had massive contention issues (try 20 - 40KB/s on a 3Mb line), they do exist at the exchange level. Switching to another DSL vendor or Eircom package wont help as they are using the same equipment. It took many people calling Eircom several times a week to get something done about it (and they did admit it and fix it eventually).

Oddly both Eircom (initially) and people here both discredited the idea of an exchange been overcontended out of hand.. :rolleyes:

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Just checked again the router

Speed 1024/128 (kbps)

irishisptest.com and pcpitstop.com reports D/L speed of 200 / 250 kbps and 100 kbps in U/L

I rang them again and they say there's nothing they can do about it as it's the lowest limit authorized for this connection. Are there any ppl in Swords having issues there with Eircom speeds ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Matt Simis wrote:
    The Tyrrelstown exchange in D15 had massive contention issues (try 20 - 40KB/s on a 3Mb line), they do exist at the exchange level. Switching to another DSL vendor or Eircom package wont help as they are using the same equipment. It took many people calling Eircom several times a week to get something done about it (and they did admit it and fix it eventually).

Oddly both Eircom (initially) and people here both discredited the idea of an exchange been overcontended out of hand.. :rolleyes:

Matt

I've experienced contention issues on an eircom 4m/bit line and an eircom 2m/bit line. Switching dsl isp 1 minute later fixed the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement