Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs eating bird poo!

Options
  • 15-12-2005 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Can someone tell me what the story is with my dogs eating bird poo?:o My bitch was eating her own for a while, but stopped once I started feeding her pineapple! But I'm really curious as to the birdy stuff....they go mad for it in the mornings when walking in the park? Is there any particular reason and any way I can stop them? Thanks! The main breeds of birds seem to be seagulls, geese, oyster-catchers and pigeons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Mabey someone else can shine some light on the subject, if it's sea birds it could be the fishy smell that attracts them since dogs seem to love fish. A lot of bird poo contains parasites so all I can suggest is avoid the poop when out walking when possible and worm them 3 months like clock work. mabey someone else has better a suggestion. No matter how well fed a dog is if they find something gross they usually try and eat it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

My terrier loves rolling in bird **** - it is usually gulls / sea birds too.
    Come to think of it she loves rolling in any pooh !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 AnonymousBloke

You're lucky..I've known dogs that went mad for human poo, scary but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

:eek: :eek: Dare I ask where would they come in contact with that?!?

I know what you mean SuzyS1972! One of mine loves doing that too...
    Think I'll just avoid the area in the park where the birds gather in the morning! Like Guineapigrescue says - possibility of parasites and stuff - just never know!

Thanks everyone anyway - if nothing else, nice to know my dogs aren't the only ones with gross habits:D :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

You're lucky..I've known dogs that went mad for human poo, scary but true.

St Annes Park Raheny and the Phoenix Park
    People live there rough - gross my friends dog did it one day and she nearly died.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

Oh c**p! St Annes is where I walk my dogs:eek: I thought bird, fox or squirrel poo was the worst I had to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 AnonymousBloke

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    St Annes Park Raheny and the Phoenix Park
    People live there rough - gross my friends dog did it one day and she nearly died.

Yep, anywhere you've got people living rough..dog I knew was mad for the stuff :eek:

Advertisement