Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of competing

Options
  • 15-12-2005 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

My father went to a DTL clay pidgeon shoot last week for the first time in ages.
    I would like to go to a shoot sometime myself so i asked him how much the entry fee was....€40

To me this seems crazy expensive. If you add this to travel costs, ammo costs, food etc it makes it a very expensive sport.

Are many young people taking up the sport? It doesnt seem to be very good value for money

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Nema

red vex wrote:
    My father went to a DTL clay pidgeon shoot last week for the first time in ages.
    I would like to go to a shoot sometime myself so i asked him how much the entry fee was....€40

To me this seems crazy expensive. If you add this to travel costs, ammo costs, food etc it makes it a very expensive sport.

Are many young people taking up the sport? It doesnt seem to be very good value for money

Right well if it comes down to money for you then quit now,

I am 21, I have two kids, I work myself. I work to feed my family and shoot, My life is Shooting, It comes to this i want to win as much as i can for ireland, The more Golds i get the better i feel, I want to do as much as i can in the name of IRELAND! Iam what you call mid class im not poor but im not far from it, If you want something bad enought you will find a way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

I know its a pretty expensive sport but im just wondering why shooters have to pay that much to enter.
    Why is it so high? Costs per head are hardly that much. How does the sport benefit from the €40

red vex wrote:
    I know its a pretty expensive sport but im just wondering why shooters have to pay that much to enter.
    Why is it so high? Costs per head are hardly that much. How does the sport benefit from the €40

Well TBH every comp iv been/seen here in ireland is normaly 15 - 30 euro max.

I cant speak for other clubs but, were i am the money gose to the winners, and to the club, Most of the time the winner if he is a club member will put it back in to teh club to help build it better, Iv heard of other clubs, keeping 70% of the money for them selfs and only giving 30% to the winners i think thats gay, Out of that 70% il say 20% gose to teh Club its self and the rest is being spent on dinners and **** for the Board! **** it im in the best club in ireland were the members are the board, !! Each member gets a say, LONG LIVE THE MID LANDs and the NRAI!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭skellig

Clay Shooting is a great sport but unfortunately an expensive one .
    Reasons being : clays are expensive , traps are expensive, Grounds upkeep and layout are expensive etc
    Believe it or not there is litle profit made from your 40 euro at all and thats the killing point. The cost of Clay Shooting is kept to its minimum and some corporate shoots can cost you 1 euro a clay.
    I have to agree with Nema-- quit now if you find it too expensive,you do have my sympathy but unfortunately thats just the way it is.

skellig wrote:
    I have to agree with Nema-- quit now if you find it too expensive,you do have my sympathy but unfortunately thats just the way it is.

Indeed man, You have my sympathy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

**** the sympathy, give him the €40 for ****'s sake. ****in' pair of sympathising ****ers. :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

€40 does seem really high until you look at the cost of clays I guess. We get away with a quarter of that for rifle matches because even edelmann targets (top of the line, olympic standard, printed on special paper that tears more cleanly when the round goes through it) aren't as expensive as clays.

Once you reach the higher levels of competition though Nema, you'll be happy to learn that €40 is nearly nothing... next to the cost of equipment, training, travel to international competitions and so on and so forth. One of our top clay pigeon shooters, a guy who's won individual gold medals in world cup events, has to work a second job just to pay for his training...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Hmmm.and then you have clauses pending in the new CJB that prohibit reloading tickets on the reasons of saving money.So we are all soooo super rich these these days ,we shouldnt balk at forking out450 euros a day for shotgun ammo at a clay shoot?Ya gotta wonder somtimes.........

Sparks wrote:
    €40 does seem really high until you look at the cost of clays I guess. We get away with a quarter of that for rifle matches because even edelmann targets (top of the line, olympic standard, printed on special paper that tears more cleanly when the round goes through it) aren't as expensive as clays.

Once you reach the higher levels of competition though Nema, you'll be happy to learn that €40 is nearly nothing... next to the cost of equipment, training, travel to international competitions and so on and so forth. One of our top clay pigeon shooters, a guy who's won individual gold medals in world cup events, has to work a second job just to pay for his training...

Right dont even go there, Iv spent over 10.000Euro alone in last 3months on Equipment and Training, So dont go there.

I work two jobs and some side jobs, I come from a poor backround and i work my ass off just to shoot and do what i can for IRELAND!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

Try courtlough in Balbriggan for some real value for money, if you want to shoot 50 birds including clays and targets expect to pay around 30 to 35 Euro.

Top notch professional lay put, and friendly quality service, try it!

• Advertisement

DJKH wrote:
    Try courtlough in Balbriggan for some real value for money, if you want to shoot 50 birds including clays and targets expect to pay around 30 to 35 Euro.

Top notch professional lay put, and friendly quality service, try it!

Yes its a top club, Its only 25euro for 50 Clays/Shalls if youre a member :D

Advertisement