Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astrophotography/eyepiece projection

Options
  • 15-12-2005 4:24pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

I've been meaning to look into this for quite a long time now. I've tried the prime focus but I never had much success with the SLR (since I didn't have a clue or great skies) and I didn't have an adapter for the digital.

Now that I've gone back to the SLR though I'd like to look into afocal (through the lens) etc - I tend to be more interested in the bigger objects (the moon being a constant fascination). Prime focus really doesn't get me anything all that great though since it's so small on the negative.

Anyway, ScopeTronix. I've heard of this crowd for a number of years and looked at their products. http://www.scopetronix.com/trings.htm The MaxView item seems to do the trick, at a cost though. There's a much cheaper adapter further down but that supports a lesser range of eyepieces. The MaxView doesn't seem to be less than 150 euro anywhere 'local' (read: Europe).

Does anyone have any advice either way? Or know of another company who makes these sort of kits?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

This appears to be another option... (bottom of the page, last item)
    http://www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/accessories/photo_visual_accessories.htm
    A deluxe tele-extender. Far, far cheaper - about half the price.

Still, any and all comments welcome. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Grayarea

You did not mention what scope you are using.

Generally speaking eyepiece projection is much harder to get good results because the focus is much more critical, the higher operational F ratio shows up any mount vibration (you need a good mount) and shutter and mirror travel can cause bluring.

My advice would be to piggy back the camera on the scope and get a feel for exposure with you camera, then try prime focus.

You will need to post process (digitally on your computer) any shots you take to get any really good results with the exception of piggy back shots, which are the easiest and therefore probably the best place to start.

You may want to contact your local astronomy club. try www.irishastronomy.org for a list of clubs.

Later,

Grayarea.

Advertisement