Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any advice on flooring an attic

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I recently done mine by laying 3x2 on edge at opposite direction to and on top of existing joists, screwed them in place with 120x4mm chipboard screws.
    Between these I rolled out another layer of insulation.
    Then on top of this I laid 18mm WBP plywood. This was in sheets of 8'x4' but I cut them using a circular saw into 2'x8' to get them into the attic.
    These were then screwed in place with 40x4mm chipboard screws.

Alot of work and a bit on the expensive side but really sturdy up there now and am 100% happy with the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Chippy80

I actually done the same with mine tommy as I too wanted to top up my fibreglass insulation . my existing insulation was just down on the ceiling joists I too used a 3x2 on top so I was able to put 100mm of extra insulation in without compressing it.
    Compressing fibreglass defeats its purpose as normal fibreglass insulation is made up of air cells. Compressing it just kills the life of it.

Advertisement