Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renewal madness, but savings for all

Options
  • 15-12-2005 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

ok, i just saved a few hundred quid and thought id pass on the info as im sure it may help more people save on their insurance renewal.

I recived in the post my renewal quote from quinn direct(~1250 TPFT ~1650 Fully comp) which i was happy with so i began the process of getting comparsion quotes, which were terrible to say the least(over 3k from axa!!!) so for the laugh i get an online quote from quinn direct,same details, same everything, ~1050 TPFT and ~1350 fully comp

What the hell were my thoughts! so i give them a ring and get straight through to a lovely lady, think her name was helen, and give her my story. i get the explanation that it includes a new customer discount! ok so i ask her whats to stop me not renewing my policy and then becoming a new customer again, nothing it seems. she agreed with me it didnt make sense so she went to talk to someone and came back. and switched the quotes over for me, so i could get the cheaper policy. saving myself an extra 300 notes, as i went fully comp.

i'd love to hear from anyone else who just got a renewal from any company, check and see if you can get a cheaper quote from them as detailed above! let us know!

i hope this can save someone a few quid, just like it did for me

tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I recived in the post my renewal quote from quinn direct

I hope for your sake you never have to make a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Bluetonic wrote:
    I hope for your sake you never have to make a claim.

have to agree with the above . ive never heard a good thing when it comes to paying up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I got renewal through AXA direct a couple of weeks back. €740 fully comp (although including breakdown cover of €50 which was not neccessary as have AA cover) Anyhow rang a few places and was only saving about 40-50 euro overall in comparison.

Then I rang the AA and got a great quote (special members price :rolleyes: )matching my AXA one with protected NCB, the works and it was €502! So having called Axa who tell me they are not in a position to match that I went with the AA.

about 4 days later all the info from the AA arrives and lo and behold who have the AA insured me with but AXA for exactly the same policy but €240 cheaper!!

Rang AXA who said its just the way it worked out but unbelieveable to think that I as a long term AXA direct customer (6 years) was able to be insured with exactly the same company (albeit through a broker) for nearly a 3rd cheaper!!

So nice saving a month before xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Quick related question if I may :)

How much (if anything) does a quote generally come down by in the 2nd year - also Quinn Direct as it happens (fully comp).

Is it worthwhile shopping around or do you need more of a history built up first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

While this tactic is nothing new it's definitely something that should be employed anytime you renew.

Renewal came in at €1040, down from €1240. Last year when I was getting my quote (my first on my own policy) Hibernian offered me the €1240. Quinn were next best at €1800 and then Axa at €2400, plenty of others over the €2000.

When I rang around this year the best I got was €1300. Which in fairness was a decent enough saving when compared to the quotes I got last year. Still though I decided to go back to Hibernian and say Axa had offered me €940, just so I could get my head under the €1000. Your man went away for a bit and came back, then asked me would I pay in full or in installments. Payment in full wasn't a problem. He then said he could renew it for €850!

So I went away and mulled over it, returned and said Axa were able to bring it down to €820, he said that the best he could do was €828, to which I agreed as I preferred their service and would prefer to build up some sort of loyalty with my insurer ;)

It made getting a €150 jacket knicked easier to stomach!

• Advertisement
Advertisement