Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic conversion

Options
  • 15-12-2005 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

i am looking into getting my attic converted. i am wondering if anyone can offer any reccomondations on who is good to get. any advice greatfully recieved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 movedhouse

Me too...

I'm in Dublin (North side) and I need to convert my attic. Or at least to put down a floor, put in some insulation and electricity for now.

I'm toying with the idea of doing it myself as it doesn't sound too hard. But if I can find someone good who can do this at a good price I'd go for it.

Anyone done this themselves, or got it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

what about these guys?

http://www.atticconversions.ie/

I think when dealing with an attic, you don't want to be messing about with buachailli bo...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

We are getting our attic done in a couple of months. Had a few different guys out to have a look and give quotes. They all went the same route which involved taking out about 4 feet from the box room (3rd bedroom) which is small enough as it is.
    We were told about "N&B carpentry", got them out and he took a completly different approach to the location of the stairs which leaves the box room un touched takes about 40 inches from the second bedroom which is big, and his prices were about €4000 cheaper. He has done about 10 houses in our estate, we went to see two conversions in the same type of house as our's. The finished job was very impressive, the home owners couldn't fault them and would recommend them.
    If anybody wants the number, send me a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 larrymo

Hi all

My brother-in-law has converted garages and laid wooden flooring and has now started doing attic conversions. He did his own 3 bed house in Castleknock which took him about 4 weeks as this was the first one he did (I think an average attic is done in 3 weeks).

He is very good with his hands and has laid our wooden flooring and converted a garage also. His work with us has been excellent (even though he is my brother-in-law). He is fully insured and is doing introductory prices for attic conversions. He is willing to travel and will give a free quote.

I can pass photos of his work along to anyone who wants (or if anyone wants to see his attic conversion, that can be arranged). If anyone is interested in contacting him, please pm me for details.

Cheers!:)

Larrymo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

larrymo wrote:
    Hi all

My brother-in-law has converted garages and laid wooden flooring and has now started doing attic conversions. He did his own 3 bed house in Castleknock which took him about 4 weeks as this was the first one he did (I think an average attic is done in 3 weeks).

He is very good with his hands and has laid our wooden flooring and converted a garage also. His work with us has been excellent (even though he is my brother-in-law). He is fully insured and is doing introductory prices for attic conversions. He is willing to travel and will give a free quote.

I can pass photos of his work along to anyone who wants (or if anyone wants to see his attic conversion, that can be arranged). If anyone is interested in contacting him, please pm me for details.

Cheers!:)

Larrymo

Hi
    Dont get me wrong But is he a carpenter because with a roof you need to know what u are doing (plaster and paint makes a carpenter a saint) if u cut the hell out off the truss you can end up with a flat roof when the snow falls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 larrymo

Hi Carpenter

I know what you mean, however....

The work was done in conjunction with the father-in-law who is a builder and has many years experience building houses and in one instance, he built a house by himself with minimal help. I'm no expert myself but I do know the roof was fully reinforced and steel beams put in to reinforce the floating floor. The father-in-law oversaw the work done and made sure it was done to a high standard.

As I've said, if anyone is interested and is not sure of the quality, they can have an engineer/architect check out the standard of the work.

Any questions that I can't answer, I'll check with the brother-in-law.

Cheers for now!

Larrymo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Any recommendations for someone in cork?

Got a quote from a guy for red deal stairs and attic converted though there is 6.1 ft high in 4 ft across,rest is sloping.Finished room size 20 x 9 1/2 for 16k.2 velux windows.He did say it wouldnt be a selling point if i was selling as ceiling and width is below minimum measurements.Should be 8 ft high and wider.Is that correct?

Dunno if this is good or what,any ideas?

Kind Regards kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Lex Luthor wrote:
    what about these guys?

http://www.atticconversions.ie/

I think when dealing with an attic, you don't want to be messing about with buachailli bo...

They did the house next door to me and the owners were very satisfied with the work. They ended up doing another four houses in the same area in the following weeks on the strength of the first job. Costs approx €20k AFAIK for standard 3/4 bed including toilet installation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

Has anyone heard of any "non-stantard" options for attic stairs?
    I've had some people out to give me quotes and all of them seem to involve taking about 2 feet off the box room - kinda makes it unusable as a bedroom.

Was looking into spiral or space saving stairs (like this http://www.rpbproductsltd.com/products/smallspace.htm)
    Has anyone seen this done anywhere?

Advertisement