Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballon D'Or

• 15-12-2005 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

Ok, now I've got this crazy friend who thinks that Jamie Carragher should have won the Ballon D'Or over Ronaldinho... I know... crazy.

Any substance behind the craziness?

This is an actual quote from Mr.Crazy
    Mr.Crazy wrote:
    Anybody who watched Football with an actual brain last season would agree, despite all Ronaldinho's genius and fancy footwork,
    Jamie Carragher was a far more effective footballer in carrying out his job....which is what the Ballon D'Or should be based on.

Ronaldinho, as a forward would have to have scored about four a game and set up another ten to come even close to Carragher's
    contribution!!

Now I watch Barcelona every week and the skill and match-winning ability that Ronaldinho has amazes me every week. Carragher doesn't amaze me... Good defender, but there are a lot of good defenders out there....

A Poll Gentlemen.

Carragher rightly denied Ballon d'Or 36 votes

Yeah, JC was robbed
    0%
    Nope, the 'dinho rocks my world. Deserved Winner
    27%
    TuskyJohnny_the_foxzAbboGuy:Incognitojesus_thats_greStickyMcGintyWasterbohsmanChardee MacDennisctrl-alt-delete 10 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    72%
    Jimi-SpandexPHBPepe LeFritsMrJoeSoapDempseyTöpherDrag00n79GangstaDr BolouswkiAPMeirebhoyp.peteThird_EchelonBig EarsgsandBaZmO*PacificoKingp35UnknownGileadi 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Haha comedy genius.. Gonna side with Mr. Crazy on this...

I don't think Mr. Crazy can access boards from work too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Atari Jaguar
    JC is a footballer's footballer. Strong, Dependable, Solid and gets the job done. Nothing spectacular. Ronnie on the other hand is a footballing genius who will be remembered long after JC.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Atari Jaguar
    thats laughable, hes good but nowhere near as good as ronald macdonald!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Atari Jaguar
    Carragher is a great last ditch defender with good drive and loyalty to his club. In saying that, he is slightly overrated when it comes to claims that he is one of europes greatest defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Atari Jaguar
    Carragher is a great last ditch defender with good drive and loyalty to his club. In saying that, he is slightly overrated when it comes to claims that he is one of europes greatest defenders.
    Thats what I said.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    thats laughable, hes good but nowhere near as good as ronald macdonald!

He might not be as good a sronaldinho at being a winger/forward, but how would ronaldinho fare as a centre half in England?

Jamie Carragher was as important, if not more, to Liverpool last season, than Ronaldinho was to Barce, albeit at a completely different job.

There should be different awards for different positions. Is ronaldinho a better player than , say, Pepe Reina? How would you judge it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Atari Jaguar
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :eek:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

That's a good one :)

Solid, unspectacular but reliable defender who isn't really good enough to start for england.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Darragh Maguire tbh better than both.

kdjac

Solid, unspectacular but reliable defender who isn't really good enough to start for england.

Yeah, cos everyone knows Rio is the best defender in England. :rolleyes:

So how do you reckon Ronaldinho would fare as a centre half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Stekelly wrote:

Jamie Carragher was as important, if not more, to Liverpool last season, than Ronaldinho was to Barce, albeit at a completely different job.

Yes Carragher had a great season but what about all the seasons before then ? He was at best a poor defender and at worst a liability or do people try to block that from memory ?

One great season and now he is a top defender.:confused:

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote:
    Yes Carragher had a great season but what about all the seasons before then ? He was at best a poor defender and at worst a liability or do people try to block that from memory ?

He was never poor or a liability. I have quite a good memory and he was always been solid. He had long stints as a left full and a right full. He went about his business anonamously (sp?) because of the fabled Hyypia/Henchoz star partnership (he was part of that defence too you know). In the last year or two he has taken centre stage and with it, the limelight. Which is why people started noticing him. He got caps before last season you know (not bad for a liability). In short, he's been quietly chugging away in the backround for years (much like Makalele was at Real, they ponly realised quite how good he was when he left and they stopped winning)

Atari Jaguar
    d22ontour wrote:

precisely..... At right back any time I saw him play he was a bit dodgy... He'd get a nose bleed at the half way line and give the ball away.

He has improved as a centre back....

The question still remains though, how can you compare two players who play completely different positions? If a goalkeeeper and a striker are up for the award, how do you decide which was better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i'd prefer him to sol campbell or rio ferdinand in my team. it should be him and terry in the england team. but he cant play with rio as seen against denmark, rio tends to wander too much for carragher especially compared to hyypia.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

How can you compare a centre half and a attacking midfielder. This is turning a bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Atari Jaguar
    they are both quality players but play in different area's of the field so its hard to judge who is the better player. The award will generally tend to go to an attacking player as they have a lot more coverage in terms of goalscoring and assists so they tend to get the headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

precisely..... At right back any time I saw him play he was a bit dodgy... He'd get a nose bleed at the half way line and give the ball away.

He has improved as a centre back....
    He was never dodgy as a RB. He may have offered very little going forward but was a rock in defence.

I have a feeling this topic is going to spiral out of control to be honest. It was a pretty pointless thing to post in the first place.

Atari Jaguar
    It was a pretty pointless thing to post in the first place.
    ...in your opinion...

It was more to make a point as well about people over-rating players.

...in your opinion...

It was more to make a point as well about people over-rating players.
    No let's be honest, I'm quite certain that the majority of people on this forum are not that interested in what your friend, "Mr. Crazy", thinks about football.

Atari Jaguar
    No let's be honest, I'm quite certain that the majority of people on this forum are not that interested in what your friend, "Mr. Crazy", thinks about football.
    ssshhh.. dont let mr.crazy hear you.

It wasn't the mr.crazy point alone Turkey. I was putting it up for general discussion as well..

If you dont want to discuss it... dont read it...

• Advertisement

ssshhh.. dont let mr.crazy hear you.

It wasn't the mr.crazy point alone Turkey. I was putting it up for general discussion as well..

If you dont want to discuss it... dont read it...
    I won't anymore. It's pretty much flat out trolling to be honest. You know it, and so do I.

Atari Jaguar
    I won't anymore. It's pretty much flat out trolling to be honest. You know it, and so do I.
    again that is your opinion... but i aint trolling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Atari Jaguar
    I'm always wary about centre halfs that aren't leading the line for their clubs. I'm not fully convinced of Jamie Carragher or even someone like Upson. Andy O'Brien was excellent for Ireland whenever he partnered Cunningham (probably about 20 times). They went on an excellent run together conceding about 2 goals in 10 games. O'Brien is still an average centre half and is found out beside someone like Bramble.

I'd like to see Carragher go on a run of about 10 games partnering someone other than Hyypia. Don't get me wrong, he's probably a great player but certainly not deserving of European player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Why have an atari jaguar option when the JC was robbed option is there

Atari Jaguar
    bohsman wrote:
    Why have an atari jaguar option when the JC was robbed option is there
    http://www.boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Atari_jaguar
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Yes Im well aware of this, the point is that claiming JC was robbed is the same option - ie anyone that doesnt care and would normally vote atari jaguar will vote JC was robbed

Atari Jaguar
    bohsman wrote:
    Yes Im well aware of this, the point is that claiming JC was robbed is the same option - ie anyone that doesnt care and would normally vote atari jaguar will vote JC was robbed
    not really...

If they think he was robbed, they would vote 'he was robbed'.

If they dont care, they vote 'Atari Jaguar'.

If you dont care, you dont have an opinion.

Simple I think.

Advertisement