Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why you shouldnt use Clearwire

• 15-12-2005 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

This is a new thread so i wont get lost at the bottom of another one....

Decided to give clearwire a spin to see if they have a service worth using,

Simple answer is they don't and never will

1. VoIP will only be activated when they enable their own service and get you to subscribe on their terms.

2.P2P will never be enabled, despite what their sales team will tell you, they use port shaping (a process where they restrict access by certain programs on your machine to the internet)

3. If you plan on playing some games that use a strange port....then dont because they more than likely have it blocked or shaped...

Simply the Sales guys will tell you lies to get you to purchase a subscription

You have been warned purchase at your own peril

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

No issue with 2 & 3, but you can use VoIP with Clearwire. But you must use the G.729 codec and you must ask them to enable SIP. Personally I couldn't get it to work all that well, the sound quality was never great. If you use IAX instead, nothing is blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irishalpha

all very well and good for an advanced user but the simple guy should be told the truth on the phone, for instance when I asked the specific question 'do you use port shaping?' there was a supposed 'discussion' with tech support.... and the reply given 'no absolutely not', yet when the famous 'Christian' was asked the same question on a service support call he confirmed directly the three points that i referenced in the original post...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And here I go again - no company with Clearwire's terms and conditions regarding termination of contract deserves support.

I also doubt if any other isp has a condition like this:
    22. Credit Reporting Agencies. You authorize us to ask consumer reporting agencies or trade references to furnish us with employment and credit information, and you consent to our rechecking and reporting personal and/or business payment and credit history. Upon receipt of adverse credit information about you at any time, Clearwire reserves the right to suspend or terminate Service to you or require a deposit for Service, at our option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Danny_DUI

Cheers for the info. I was considering switching from Irish Broadband's Ripwave to Clearwire cos of the terrible download speeds on Ripwave. I definitely won't be going near them now because of the restrictions you mentioned above.

You've prob saved me a lot of effort and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

irishalpha wrote:
    Simple answer is they don't and never will
    Seriously, how do you know they NEVER will
    1. VoIP will only be activated when they enable their own service and get you to subscribe on their terms.
    Complete rubbish. I use H.323 and blue face SIP G729 every day without issue
    2.P2P will never be enabled, despite what their sales team will tell you, they use port shaping (a process where they restrict access by certain programs on your machine to the internet)
    That's not a bad thing. Personally, I'd prefare all the P2P users to go back to DSL and leave us serious users in piece.
    3. If you plan on playing some games that use a strange port....then dont because they more than likely have it blocked or shaped...
    I have experienced this the odd time weeks ago. Might still be an issue for some games but not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

lol... come on it's a joke of a service, an absolute joke. I and most ppl here have had consistant ****e peformance and customer service... you're just lucky man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

IrishTLR wrote:
    Seriously, how do you know they NEVER will

That's not a bad thing. Personally, I'd prefare all the P2P users to go back to DSL and leave us serious users in piece.

Who do you think you are? Bill Gates? You don't own the Internet.

If Clearwire don't allow the use of P2P, they are completely useless to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

sturgo wrote:
    Who do you think you are? Bill Gates? You don't own the Internet.
    I said that "personally, I would prefare". I don't claim to own the internet. I don't even like Bill Gates. I have never hidden my attitude about P2P applications. They are the scurge of broadband as long as Ireland don't have proper internet speeds and networks. I've been through too much in the past year or two to care about P2P users. Fair enough IBB's network is badly configured and badly managed but the amount of P2P on their service crippled it. Yes there were other reasons but P2P was a big part of it because of the big upload speeds they offered.
    If Clearwire don't allow the use of P2P, they are completely useless to me.
    The answer for that is very simple. Don't use Clearwire. Get a DSL line. Then we'll both be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

P2P is going to be around for long time. Build a wall and get over it.

Advertisement