Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD anyone?

Options
  • 15-12-2005 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭

Planning on doing Theoretical Physics, anyone else thinking of heading to Belfield?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Law for me!!!!

fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ooly

hopefully arts (Orts ...... he hee hee)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Doing theoretical physics too, but I don't think I'll be going to UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

ucd seems the most appealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Engineering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Raph, why not Theoretical Physics in Trinity?
    There's some lot of people from Ross doing theoretical physics...
    Anyway, aiming at Science in Trinity, but if I don't get them thar points UCD it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Is UCD really as stuck up southside as everyone says?
    Friends sis went there and says its all cliquey and everyone from all the d4 schools stick together; she hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Friends sis went there and says its all cliquey and everyone from all the d4 schools stick together; she hated it.

i'm a fresher studying Orts in UCD...

Many D4types are really stuck up and cliquey...but its not like ya wanna be friends with someone whos like that so its not such a huge deal!
    ''They'' do tend to stick together anyway...
    There are LOADs of ''normal'' people there anyway like culchies outnumber D4s definately!

TBH i was kinda disappointed when i got UCD but now i wouldnt change it for the world i absolutely love it. The people are deadly, campus is nice and big always something to do, pubs are great, nightlife is savage......o and i suppose ya can get a decent degree too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Listen to Scraggs, she speaks a world of sense.

*looks around LC board nostalgically*

waltons were u a poster on LC?? have to say did get a little tear in my eye thinkin back on the good ol' days*

*wtf am i sayin...good days have only jus begun:v: :v: :v:

• Advertisement

I was indeed! I got into a huge debate on hamlet, if I remember correctly.

College is so much better though :D See you in linguistics ;)

Yes people, come to UCD and you can be as cool as us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

depends what you do, a lot of people will say the arts/orts block is the main place for that, i do science and everyone talks to eachother no cliques or anything like that,

i picked science in ucd over trinity and am very glad i did now, that's not to say there's anything wrong with the trinity course (they're very similiar) but i really like the people, the course and the campus and wouldn't wana change:)

Wat about trinity anyone here doin science there? Wat d'ya think?
    Im tryin to fill out my CAO now and im at a loss when it comes to thinking of a place to put down.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Here, it's xmas day? why would u wanna fill it out today? I recommend you dont, theres a very good chance ur pissed.

Yep! I'm putting Science in Trinners in my first choice then science in UCD.
    It is full of D4 heads and they are totally cliquey but it's a really nice place, well at the open day you felt like a total intruder wandering around the campus but I did it anyway and seen the irish team of some sport with a ball training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Le Rack wrote:
    Raph, why not Theoretical Physics in Trinity?
    There's some lot of people from Ross doing theoretical physics...
    Anyway, aiming at Science in Trinity, but if I don't get them thar points UCD it is.
    Um...why would I do THeoretical Physics in Trinity?

no reason really, just thought that course and you would be more suited to trin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Scraggs wrote:
    Many D4types are really stuck up and cliquey...but its not like ya wanna be friends with someone whos like that so its not such a huge deal!
    ''They'' do tend to stick together anyway...
    There are LOADs of ''normal'' people there anyway like culchies outnumber D4s definately!

That's bang on but this would apply to Arts more than any other course in UCD. There is a better atmosphere, interaction and community spirit amongst the students in other courses in like Commerce or Science for example than there would be in Arts. There are ''snobs'' in every course and you're not going to get away from that fact.

From an Arts student perspective, there is no community in Arts due to it's size (1,200 or so students and up to 500 people in lectures) so it's very informal and I feel the vast majority of people are either cold or very cliquey. Unfortuantely this applies to everyone from the D4's to the culchies. I've been in UCD for 18 months and apart from my pre-UCD friends I haven't got to know anyone at all (except 1 or 2 aquaintances) through no fault of my own and i've felt lonely. If you're going for Arts only do it if you really want to do the course as it's a very large course and doesn't put you on a straight career path. If you get a degree you'll probably have to do further study too but the course gives you many options so if you are stuck for selecting a course you'll probably find something to your tastes.

The college has many pluses to it such as it's excellent facilities, modern buildings, bars, close location to the city centre. The clubs and socieites are very active on campus, organise many events and there's a large selection in variety of these clubs/socs so you're more than likely to find something that you like. If you settle into UCD you'll more than likely love it but if you don't settle in it can be a very tough place to study in.

Plus me and tribulus the hulk go there... and Scraggs and Waltons so it's has to be good! :D

I was under the understanding that the courses are more or less of the same quality. Theoretical Physics at Trinity was supposed to be a bad course but apparently its improved recently(or so says my inside source). There is a high dropout rate from it to the maths and physics degree courses as well. But I always had the impression that Trinity had a more balanced student body(75%fee payin schools in UCD compared to 50% or less in trinners) than UCD. As far as i can see the two are similar enough. The only adv. UCD seems to have is the horizons thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

yeah in science there are no core modules in first year so you can basically pick and choose as you like. I can't comment on the physics side of things in ucd but if anyone here's interested in things like chemistry, biochem, pharmacology ucd is excellent for them. Also there are new degrees that will hopefully be starting for next year, chemical biology, neuroscience and denominated pharmacology

• Advertisement

Le Rack wrote:
    no reason really, just thought that course and you would be more suited to trin...
    ...how exactly?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Wat about trinity anyone here doin science there? Wat d'ya think?
    I'm a Fresher doing Science in Trinity, I absolutely love it! All my TSM friends are like "haha you've loads of hours" but in fact I've settled in a lot better than some of them, because there's more hours it means you're seeing people a lot more and you get to know them better. Oh and the labs are actually fun, I hated labs for the Leaving Cert but they're actually interesting in college :D I'm not really sure what kind of thing I should say about it, but if anyone thinking of doing it wants to PM me with questions about it feel free! There's a few people on the TCD board who have been in Science longer than me (eg. ApeXaviour) and they were very helpful when I was trying to work out whether to put it on my CAO form and later on which subjects within Science I wanted to pick

Le Rack wrote:

Ouch! That hurt. :(

Plus me and tribulus the hulk go there... and Scraggs and Waltons so it's has to be good! :D

heehee thanks! well said on the rest of ur post

Raphael wrote:
    ...how exactly?
    dunno, it just seems the sort of place you wold be more at home in compared to ucd, I know I was adament (sp) about going to ucd until I went to the trin open day and fell in love with the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

yes, the Arts(Orts) block is the place whre you will find ll the D4 cliques. i did Arts for untill April last year. ended up leaving because i never went in due to the fact that i couldnt stand to be around such nit wits who look you up and down just because daddy didnt buy me a fancy ancy car! in DIT now, god i love it to bits. better atmosphere and people are much more down to earth. oh and the lecturers actually know your name!
    i know not everyone in UCD is like this, but i just resent the place now and i thought it would be a great college!

Le Rack wrote:
    dunno, it just seems the sort of place you wold be more at home in compared to ucd, I know I was adament (sp) about going to ucd until I went to the trin open day and fell in love with the place...
    Nah, I'm not really pretentious(sp?) enough to go to Trinity

Raphael wrote:
    Nah, I'm not really pretentious(sp?) enough to go to Trinity
    sure bout that? ;), just kidding, I dunno, ucd is nearly worse, yeah, Trinners has the name of snobbery, but at least it's not Abercrombie central, with a bad D4 accent to boot, and let's not forget the oodles of make up, the fake tan and the "my head's up my own ass" attitude.

Wait, I just have to take my head out of my ass to see the screen....there we go
    Hooray for generalisations! (sp?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

bad Waltons!
    back in your hole
    ba dum tish

Advertisement