Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X360 can kill your disc

Options
  • 15-12-2005 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

FYI - The X360 will scratch your disc to bits if you move the box while the game is running. Micro$oft will not replace the games destroyed this way b/c it's stated in the manual "Don't touch"... grrrr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

biko wrote:
    b/c it's stated in the manual "Don't touch"... grrrr

Thats very strange....Dont move the console while your disc is spinning at several thousand rpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I thought that would be obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

So you actually shake your PC and DVD player when theyre reading discs?
    Ok.........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lol i lost training day and a dvd player doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

There's a video clip of this in the Xbox thread.
    Bit of a no-brainer imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Most players/laptops will just come to a stop if you move them about when disc is spinning, no?

Apparently in this case there is a sharp object sitting a millimeter away from the spinning disc...

tax man, do you have link? Can't seem to find clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Next up: Gamecubes can damage your discs when merely used as large oversized dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

theres already a thread about this somewhere, and it's already been said, that if your dumb enough to move it with the disc in it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Xbox 360 Will Eat Your Babies!!11

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

amp wrote:
    Next up: Gamecubes can damage your discs when merely used as large oversized dice.
    ...man that'd be the best game ever...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

More to the point: who cares? Nobody anywhere has an xbox360! And don't start pretending you do. But if you feel inclined to prove you have one then simply mail it to the following address...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I have moved my PS2 when its spinning discs and it doesn't seem to care. In fact I've seen it regularly done with both a PS2 and Gamecube where he has them stuffed in a corner and then drags them out by the cable while their loading so the joypads reach the couch.

Still it's not really a big deal, the 360 is far too big, heavy and expensive to be treated that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

steviec wrote:
    I have moved my PS2 when its spinning discs and it doesn't seem to care. In fact I've seen it regularly done with both a PS2 and Gamecube where he has them stuffed in a corner and then drags them out by the cable while their loading so the joypads reach the couch.

Still it's not really a big deal, the 360 is far too big, heavy and expensive to be treated that way.

expensive yes, but when you look at ps2/xbox launches, the 360 is the cheapest. i find it hard to beleive that moving a ps2 from vertical, back to horizontal with a game inside, wont have the same disc scratching effect, im gonna try it later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Deoxys

before i got the slim line PS2 ive moved my old one from vertical to horizontal and no scratches appeared.i have to admit people dont tend to move their consoles around all that much when they are in use but still it would be on my mind that im not able to if needs be i mean 360 can be stood verticaly right?So what are you supposed to do stack books up against it or something to make sure it doesnt fall over???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

krazy_8s wrote:
    Lol i lost training day and a dvd player doing that

& they only had one day left to retirement too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

skywalker wrote:
    & they only had one day left to retirement too. :(
    rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

amp wrote:
    so THAT'S what i've been doing wrong :|

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Pffft, silly X360, the PS3 will be able to cut your discs clean in half, and they won't just be DVDs, they'll be Blu-Ray discs too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Looks like blue ray will have a very low read speed, so the disk wont be spinnig that fast

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

I regularly move my PS2 while it's running, sometimes from vertival to horizontal, and I've never had a problem with it damaging a disc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

why do you move your ps2? you are in the middle of a game and decide it looks better vertical?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

IceHawk wrote:
    I regularly move my PS2 while it's running, sometimes from vertival to horizontal, and I've never had a problem with it damaging a disc.
    Do you remember to twist the badge too?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Now I think about it, if I call over to my friends who are playing pro evo, I'll sit down and he'll yank the PS2 closer towards us and then chuck a third controller at me. It's only a yank from horizontal to horizontal sliding across the ground, will this damage the disc? Will in on the 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

That happens all the time with the gamecube since it's so light, but I've never had a scratched disc. How would you move the xbox accidently while playing it? It's heavy as hell and has those controller detacher thingys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I move my slim PS2 fairly often. If I'm playing a 2-player game, the controller rarely reaches player 2, so I lift the ps2 out from under the telly and put it in the middle of the floor. I do it fairly delicately, and have never had a disc scratched or any other mishap.

In addition, my clumsy-ass wife and I were visiting friends and she got too excited playing pikmin on their gamecube and pulled the whole thing off a 2.5 foot high shelf onto the floor but, of course, neither disc nor console were damaged in the plummet. Nintendos are always built like rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Unforgivable sin if not turned the correct way.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

evad_lhorg wrote:
    why do you move your ps2? you are in the middle of a game and decide it looks better vertical?
    Actually, It's probably not such a good example, but I used to get Disc Read errors a lot, and swiching from vertical to horizontal or vice versa sometimes fixed it. Never once did it damage a disc.
    Damn straight! Everyone knows you only get the proper PS2 experience if the badge is the right way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

My friend has a 360 and his Madden game ruined. There is a ring around the bottom of the disc. Whether he moved the 360 or not I don't know. Also his Halo 2 disc has a ring around it from the 360. Hopefully that doesn't break as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Oh my god

Moving a console (ANY CONSOLE!!!) while the disc is spinning up is just stupid.

You shouldn't need to be told that moving an xbox 360 while its on can damage your disc, it's common sense.

Machine on = DONT MOVE!!!

Machine off = MOVE IT WHEREVER YOU WANT!!!

Use the grey matter between the ears lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advertisement