Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I hate Ireland!!!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Gil_Dub wrote:
    You know what....I just can't agree with the sentiment that Ireland is a dump. We've a lot of problems admittedly. But I just can't understand how anyone can turn around and say they can't wait to leave.....

This little country of ours has been through an awful lot in the past 80 years, never mind what's come before that. We're still growing and have lots of lessons to learn over the next 50 years, just the same as many other nations have done in the past.

Any of you who are old enough to remember growing up as a kid here in the late 70's or early 80's should know better. Your parents, uncles, aunts and grandparents had to work their arses off to get anywhere during that time. What did we get in return? Economic prosperity on the back of foreign investment and their penny pinching. Yeah, Haughey was a crook. Yeah, every goverment we've had has had to pay the political price for some bloody dissatisfaction from the electorate at one time or another. But that doesn't for one minute give any of you the right to piss and moan about how crap this country is. If you're younger than that I'd suggest you educate yourselves by speaking to your elders to hear what it was like trying to find work, to raise a family, to keep yourself warm in this smoggy, filthy city of Dublin in the 80's. At a time when your father would sit and weep coming up to christmas because the government of the time had taken 62p in every punt as tax, when he was trying to save to bring his son for a heart operation that couldn't even be done here, when the house his sick child lived in had no central heating and he cycled his bicycle 12 miles to work in the winter at night. Have some respect. You should be ashamed to moan about what this country is like.

You've no idea. I'll bet you're the very same people who sit in the pub, whining about how you get nothing for your taxes and how your local councillor took bribes or wouldn't fix the footpaths in your area. I'll bet you're the very same people who couldn't be arsed getting out of your bed to go to the polling station to have your voice heard. You're all apathetic losers, content to whine your way to the airport for a one way trip out of here. I'll bet you're the very same people who as soon as you touch down abroad will don the green jersey and tell everyone how much better the pint is at home.

I love this country. I love it for the opportunities it's given me. I love it for the people. I even love it at times for its flaws. You know why? Because it pisses off weak and selfish people like you who will run instead of staying here and fighting for what's rightfully yours. The sooner you're all gone, the sooner the rest of us can get down to business with the Polish, Latvian, German, Chinese and god knows how many other people who want to work hard for real results, who want to succeed and most importantly of all, the type of people I'd be proud to stand beside as we look at the good we've been able to achieve together through hassling our politicians, through running for local government, through picketing and protest if need be. I don't care for anyone who ****s on their own doorstep and then blames their neighbour. It's offensive to those of us who have a sense of duty, to ourselves and our children - Those of us who know where we've come from. Those of us who know just what we can achieve if we stay for the fight. We'd be nowhere if the Irish spirity hadn't helped us hold our heads up and fight our way out of our corner. Out with the rest of ye. Good riddance. You're no good to us anyway if that's the way you feel.

Gil

Here's your major problem with your rant, you're assuming that the people complaining are layabout/do nothing dole spongers who sit in the pub and whine that ther local councillor doesn't fix our roads. Well, I for one am not one of these people and I'd be willing to wager other people who voice discontent are the same as me. Ireland is flawed; like any other country, to think it is perfect and not be prepared to recognise it has a lot of shortcomings that grate on people, for example the state of broadband in this country (a major bone of contention for many people in Ireland), the state of the roads, little or no infrastructure, public money being poured into Dublin in an unbalanced way in comparison to the rest of the country... all are valid complaints, yet some people blindly love their country so much (a nice idea in theory) and label anyone who voices discontent as unpatriotic or tells them to **** off... that isn't the basis of a democratic discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

There are great things about Ireland, mental health is not one of them. It has one of the highest rates of depression and suicide in Europe, perhaps even the west. So it may not be all in the eye of the OP.

OP- You seem to be in a lot of pain, alienation and lonliness. 15 is a difficult age. Frienship is the bi-product of doing things. Find something you like to do, start doing it and you will meet people.

You have only a couple of years to go until you have independence and it will go fast. Make sure you get your education. Value yourself enough to do that. It will stand to you.

Gil-Dub-
    Save your political rant for the politics forum. The OP is depressed and doesnt need a lecture on voting. He is 15. He cant vote. He is entitled to hate the country if he wants to. You are not entitled to launch abuse at him. You love the country because it pisses off enough people to immigrate. Weak people. Well my mother had to leave becasue she got pregnant out of wedlock and my father had to leave because he was poor. There are millions of others who had to leave for similar reasons. And you love the country for this? There are no words to describe what I would like to say to you. You and your fantasies about Irish spirit getting you out of corners. It was EU and American money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Try moving to Cork. Much better. The only place in Ireland that has any sense of art and culture that's not "The art of GAA" and Culchy-ism.

lazydaisy wrote:
    It was EU and American money!

There it is, the moneyshot. My father and my mothers parents had to leave this country, my father in the mid seventies, my grandparents in the fifties, this country had no provision for them, it was basically leave Ireland and get a career or stay and go mentally ill.

This newfound arrogance of the Irish that stayed behind is overwhelming, they don't seem to like the fact that it was the EU and the US who brought this country out of the stone age in recent times.. where would Irish farmers be without EU subsidies, grants for having sheep in a field, grants for leaving a field empty... where would many of the young professionals working in Dublin be without foreign companies such as Dell, Microsoft etc. be if they decided to never come here and invest in this country?. The money came to Ireland, people like my father and grandparents and millions of others who went to the UK/US/Australia to create a career for themselves sending millions upon millions of pounds/dollars back to this country. What thanks did my father get when he and our family decided to relocate back to Ireland, none, he was classed a blow in, not even regarded as Irish anymore as (and I quote) he was "So long in England, he wasn't Irish anymore".

What did any Irish government do for you?, spend the bulk of their budgets on 'consultancy' fees so nothing actually gets done (the consultants ususally being sons/nephews of people in the Dail), what did the Irish Government do when all the terrible goings on by the Catholic priests and nuns happened, turned a blind eye, in light of the ferns report what did they do?, offer no apology.

Granted, Ireland is a much better place now than it ever was, but to think for a minute it wasn't because of foreign investment, EU grants and people sending money back is just foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Laguna wrote:
    There it is, the moneyshot. My father and my mothers parents had to leave this country, my father in the mid seventies, my grandparents in the fifties, this country had no provision for them, it was basically leave Ireland and get a career or stay and go mentally ill.

This newfound arrogance of the Irish that stayed behind is overwhelming, they don't seem to like the fact that it was the EU and the US who brought this country out of the stone age in recent times.. where would Irish farmers be without EU subsidies, grants for having sheep in a field, grants for leaving a field empty... where would many of the young professionals working in Dublin be without foreign companies such as Dell, Microsoft etc. be if they decided to never come here and invest in this country?. The money came to Ireland, people like my father and grandparents and millions of others who went to the UK/US/Australia to create a career for themselves sending millions upon millions of pounds/dollars back to this country. What thanks did my father get when he and our family decided to relocate back to Ireland, none, he was classed a blow in, not even regarded as Irish anymore as (and I quote) he was "So long in England, he wasn't Irish anymore".

What did any Irish government do for you?, spend the bulk of their budgets on 'consultancy' fees so nothing actually gets done (the consultants ususally being sons/nephews of people in the Dail), what did the Irish Government do when all the terrible goings on by the Catholic priests and nuns happened, turned a blind eye, in light of the ferns report what did they do?, offer no apology.

Granted, Ireland is a much better place now than it ever was, but to think for a minute it wasn't because of foreign investment, EU grants and people sending money back is just foolish.

I'm not trying to be a troll or start flaming here but i see a whole load of words but nothing is being said other than boo hoo. If you want to whine at least make an effort everyday to try and change things.
    there is nowhere in the world you can go to escape flaws in society or democracy(which - come on, in any way you look at it is a state of mind not a way of life) as you put it. being hostile towards the world isn't going to change it, your actions can do that. You see these flaws clearly and seem to know what may change it so go do it. there is nothing you cannot do, believe me. It is never someone or something elses fault, only our own.

I dont want the above to sound like i'm attacking you at all btw i'm not.

funk-you wrote:
    I'm not trying to be a troll or start flaming here but i see a whole load of words but nothing is being said other than boo hoo.
    Where'd you pick up the boo hoo attitude?, I'm pointing out what I believe, where do I ask for pity?. Boo hoo? :confused:
    funk-you wrote:
    there is nowhere in the world you can go to escape flaws in society or democracy(which - come on, in any way you look at it is a state of mind not a way of life) as you put it.

I don't deny this, every country has flaws, Britain for example has an extremely right wing Government that doesn't listen to the wants of its people (i.e. Iraq war and involvement), a million people took to the streets of London before the Iraq invasion to express their feelings that an invasion was wrong and wanted no part of it, Tony decided to do it anyway.. John Howard, the Prime Minister of Australia is just as right wing, yet he had the nerve to come out and pretend to condemn the racist attacks in Sydney recently, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one who was sending around the text messages intercepted by Sydney Police inciting more violence this weekend.

EVERY country has flaws, but whenever you voice dissatisfaction on Boards about an Irish issue, you're labelled a moaner, unpatriotic, a racist etc. You can back your claims to the hilt, provide statistics, quotes and even be talking about something that is widely known and accepted as flawed, but you get shot down as a moaner, unpatriotic, a racist..

To the OP, in your specific case I firmly agree with what SexeeAussie said, so I won't put my spin on it, I'll just quote it
    Anyway, I don't think the point is whether other countries 'suck' I think that the OP is having problems with his own confidence and esteem issues.

OP, moving to another country will probably NOT help your problems at all, but never give up hope of travelling the wide world! I think being 15 is a difficult age....and time in your life, things will improve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

Laguna wrote:
    John Howard, the Prime Minister of Australia is just as right wing, yet he had the nerve to come out and pretend to condemn the racist attacks in Sydney recently, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one who was sending around the text messages intercepted by Sydney Police inciting more violence this weekend.

To the OP, in your specific case I firmly agree with what SexeeAussie said, so I won't put my spin on it, I'll just quote it

Laguna, thanks for the support there...there are a few previous posts that really pissed me off and are sooo damn ignorant and closeminded. I had a laugh at your comments on old Johnny Howard though, good one!!! :p:p

I still back up what I said.....the OP isn't probably interested or could give a bollocks to the state of Irish politics or what not...he made a throw away line about wanting to leave the country...it wasn't an insult to all of you that love your country, he is just feeling trapped and enveloped by his negative feelings about life in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

Sometimes it is someones elses fault if its the blame game you want to play, so Irish, so when in Rome.... Just ask Wilde, Joyce, Beckett, and the diaspora, just ask refugees and immigrants whe left their countries at times when travel wasnt so easy.

Ireland is an alienating and lonely, superficial and sometimes cruel. It is also a culture in which put downs and slagging are a sign of affection. My god, if you love me don't love me!!! If that's how you're going to do it. Everyone is afraid of a big head, and shame is pervasive. People embarrass easily and can be very judgemental, so attaining healthy self esteem is really hard in this type of culture, where you get little or no affirmation.

Laguna, I agree so entirely with your perceptions of the dish it out but cant take it Irish on cultural/political observations. We should talk. I read some of your posts on another thread in PI,and I can really relate. And I entirely agree about the relationship between Ireland and the diaspora. You cant say that though or you'll get pints thrown at you. I would start a thread in politics about it but Im banned until next week for calling someone obnoxious after they called me stupid and said they were glad they were educated in Ireland and not in America.

Anyway OP -Im sorry your thread has been hijacked a little. Believe me you wont always feel like this. You will come to a time when you will have choices and you can decide when where and how you want to live. Its sooner than it feels. Hang in there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wow, this thread definitely meandered off in it's own direction overnight, so back on topic guys.

OP, your problem does not lie with living in Ireland, but in the fact that you're a teenager, and as such, you're going through growing pains. At the moment, you're trying to become your own person and find your own way, and that will happen no matter where you live.

If you're envious of your best friend's perceived success, then examine him and see what he does well. See if you can learn from that. But also, find your own style. It takes a while, I'd personally say that I didn't become the person I am until I hit about 19 or 2nd-3rd year in college, and nearly 10 years later, I'm still changing.

Just have the confidence to find your own way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Look you're only 15 so your not really in a position to emigrate anywhere unless you want to end up sleeping on the streets of London or somewhere else.

If you really really hate Ireland and your life here take stock of what you want to do and plan the best way to go about it. No foreign country is actively encouraging un-skilled immigration. Get yourself an education and or a skill/trade first. This will do two things for, give you some time to mature and reflect on what you want to do and secondly make you more marketable in your chosen destination. In the long run if you decide not to emmigrate you will have prepared yourself for life where ever you may lead it.

As I said in my earlier post I wish I had emmigrated sooner but I didn't just pack my bags. I spent about 3 years researching my chosen destination and business. I visited the place for several weeks at a time and prepared myself by learning the basics of the language. Even with all that It wasn't easy but I would do it again.

Maybe its all teenage angst at the moment but at least if you start planning a move and weighing up all the pros and cons you are giving yourself a goal to work towards. That is something a lot of people your age don't have and because they lack direction they sometimes feel life is against them.

BTW my earlier post about Latvians was flippant and I should not have posted it. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭savoyard

As others have said, you can't do anything for a few years. But you can start planning a few things for the future.

- Plan a gap year for after your leaving and start saving for the trip now.Or get the Australian year visa. Lots of Brits do it just after school rather than after college.
    - spend your summers working in other countries. It's easy to pick up a summer job in England for instance without needing another language. Go to a holiday resort in Europe to work for the summer. You'll get bar work in in Spain or Greece for instance. Good way of meeting people from other countries (although not necessarily people from the country you're in). Do a season in a winter resort.
    - if you're planning on going to college, look into doing it in England or another European country or do a course that will allow you spend a year abroad. College summers are perfect for working abroad. You can see what country you'd think you like and start learning the language or whatever. Or you might decide that you'd prefer to stay in Ireland.

If you want to suceed rather than living from hand to mouth, you need to plan a flexible career with skills that you can transfer easily.

I emigrated, although not because I hated Ireland, and it was definitely the best thing I ever did. I love coming home, miss my friends and family and will always be happy to be Irish, but could never move back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Savoyard where do u live? as i said earlier choosin to do this Erasmus yr was best thing i ever did, makes me apprecaite what i have at home, and gives me a taste of te big bad world ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I've been away in a few different countries and all i can say is that the people here are a hell of a lot friendlier and considerate in general than in other countries. It's always a relief to come home and interact with good ol irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

i love ireland.. its a beautiful country.. historic, natural, inspiring.. i love irish people.. friendly, open minded, interesting..

but i hate the irish government.. they play us day in and day out and laugh at us.. for this reason alone a lot of my friends have left ireland and started brand new and always better lives in other countries in europe, the US and australasia.. not one person that i know who has left ireland has done worse for them selves than they were doing here... they all talk about being able to LIVE thier life and not be worried about money troubles etc... they say "oh man, pack up your s**t in ireland and come here to live.. you live to work over there in ireland.. you should come here and just live for yourself.." and i must say its very tempting... next years im planning to buy a house.. but i neede to put some serious time and thought into it before i do.. cause i dont want to have too many ties to Ireland if i deside to up and leave.. id rather not have a big mortgage holding me back.. i want to have a life.. not just be another drone for the irish government...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

its the people that make ireland ireland ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

he's 15 for christ's sake. When I was his age I hated ireland, I hated school etc. etc. I wanted to go to highschool in america and bang the girls out of saved by the bell and 90210. Then I left school, went to college, lived abroad for a couple of years, came back here, got a good job with good money, and I couldnt' be happier. I had a LOT of bad times living in Canada, you don't have the family support and familiarity over there. And you'll always feel like an immigrant and 2nd class wherever you go.
    The chicks in Home and Away look hot and I'd love to go and live in Australia but these places are a lot more real than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

at the risk of repeating myself, would people please keep this thread on topic. We're now on page 4, and very little has actually been said to address the OP's concerns. This is not "I love Ireland and irish people" thread or an "I emigrated" thread.

Next person off topic will be banned and/or thread locked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

To the OP: As has been already mentioned you are 15 and are expressing what I would imagine is typical teenage angst. You are falling into the typical trap of “the grass is always greener”, that is to say that if you were somewhere else, you believe that all your problems would somehow be solved and thus you blame where you live as the root of all your problems.

It’s not. One of the things we learn, as we grow older is that we are, more often than not, the root of all our own problems. If you moved abroad your character and personality would almost certainly cause you to repeat the patterns you’ve experienced in Ireland. You could go to a high school in the US, but you would hate that too before long. You also would probably not make that many friends there either.

As this thread has demonstrated it is not unusual to eventually live abroad - often coming back. You’ve plenty of time for that. In the meantime examine what is the real reason or reasons you’re unhappy.

Perhaps you hate school because you’re bullied, or you don’t like the subjects you’re doing? You don’t have too many friends because you’re shy or because you don’t fit in? Address those things directly. Moving school or some new, more fashionable, threads may be all you need. I don’t know, but I do know that moving country will solve nothing, as your problems will almost certainly emigrate with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It’s not. One of the things we learn, as we grow older is that we are, more often than not, the root of all our own problems. If you moved abroad your character and personality would almost certainly cause you to repeat the patterns you’ve experienced in Ireland. You could go to a high school in the US, but you would hate that too before long. You also would probably not make that many friends there either.

I dunno about that... I haven't done any travelling myself, but my brothers and friends, etc, have, and as someone said earlier, it boosted their confidence and made them a different person.

Lots of people are saying that you should stay in Ireland and not run away from your problems, but I'd say travelling is just the thing you should do. Finish school, get a job and build up some funds, then go to whatever country you want, and start working over there. I'd say your confidence will boost, and you'll make alot of friends too.

I plan on doing the same, only after college (if I decide to actually finish). I'm fed up with Ireland, I want to do something more exciting with my life than go to school, go to college, get a career, like all my family are doing. There's lots of places I'm eager to see -- Australia, America, Thailand, France, etc -- so I'm hoping that when the appropriate time comes I'll have the confidence to make the move.

If you move over there and don't like it, you can always move back no problem, so I don't see why people are trying to persuade you to stay. Experience different countries and cultures, make foreign friends, see different places.

After you're done with all of that, maybe you'll decide to return home -- then do it! Maybe you'll decide that there's a lovely little area in America that you'd like to live, maybe for a few years, maybe for a few more, maybe start a family there -- then do it!

When you're in a position where you have adequite education (after school, after you learn a trade, or after college, you choose) and the initiative to get moving, then you should.

Good luck anywho

I've actually got a thread here which fully explains my dilemma :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

DaveMcG wrote:
    I dunno about that... I haven't done any travelling myself, but my brothers and friends, etc, have, and as someone said earlier, it boosted their confidence and made them a different person.
    In fairness, you have a point in so far as moving to a new environment can certainly help someone to start over and remedy the mistakes of the past. However, this should not be confused with it being the solution in itself - the environment may make it easier to change, but it’s the change that ultimately is the solution, not where you make it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

I wish I could move to another country, i am only 15 and I was born and raised in Ireland. Does anyone else hate this country? I don't have a lot of friends here and I hate my school. I wish I could move to America or Australia, I HATE MY LIFE HERE!!!!!

I have lived in a good few countries. Ireland has its problems but it is not the worst place to live by far. Not knowing your situation I can't comment too much but would suggest that if your attitude stems from problems with friends/family/school, consider that those can be transitory things that you can change/influence without having to emigrate.

You could go to the country of your dreams and make the wrong kind of friends and find yourself as miserable as if you had stayed at home - this has in fact happened to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i left ireland for several reasons.
    i couldnt find the right kinds of opportunities that interested me job wise.
    the cost of living was too high.
    i got bored of the crap transport service.
    i got bored of the continuous tribunals.
    i needed a change of scenery and a new start.
    ive always wanted to trvel and live i ndifferent places
    i also got bored of the 'ah sure' attitude that is prevelant in irish society.

some of these things i could fix, some i couldnt.
    i moved to the uk becuase i got a good job, becuase the cost of living is lower, and the standard of living i believe is higher.
    i find the multi-cultural society quite refreshing, and i can go and see spurs a lot easier at the weekend!
    the weather is better in the south of england as well!

theres a whole host of reasons why i prefer living in the uk to living in ireland. thats not to say i hate ireland. many people seem to think that just becuase you move country you hate ireland, or being irish or something. i dont. far from it. i love ireland. i just dont want to live there.

i love going back. i love visiting. i love meeting up with old friends and going for beers with boards people. i will always love ireland, much the same way i still feel about the first love i had in life. its a fondness. its thinking about all the good things. but i have to remember that i was miserable and unhappy while i lived there.
    thats about the conditions i lived there, its nothing to do with being irish, or ireland per say.

will i stay in england. no. i will move on at some time. maybe in 6 months, maybe in 2 years, but i think i will probably move. it wont be back to ireland. it will be onwards and upwards for me. again, its about change, its about doing something i always wanted to do.

but ireland is getting better. the luas is a marvel. the place is cleaner. the people seem more positive than ever. maybe someday i can even stop being embarassed by the shenanigans of irish politicians and outspoken U2 band members. but those are my issues that i need to deal with :)

i sometimes wonder why people hate ireland. i think its more to do with just being unhappy with life in general, and its easier to direct it towards something that you dont havea direct influence on, rather than look at what you can change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 AnonymousBloke

ain't got time to wade through all these posts...

OP, sounds like you're having a crap time, which is horrible, and can understand you blaming it on where you live/being Irish, etc, etc.

Dunno, at one time I felt the same way, and couldn't wait to leave Ireland. That was about 15 years ago. Since then have lived and travelled in the UK, US, Germany, France, Asia. What it's come down to for me is that wherever you go you'll find good and bad sh*t, and on balance Ireland, like anywhere else, is a complex package of culture, history, socio-economic conditions, etc..

I loved certain things about living in the US, made great friends, but personally I would not want to live there. Ditto the UK, and Germany. And I have friends who are Irish and live happily in these places. Ultimately it comes down to how a place fits you as a person.

Ireland has a big drink culture, which doesn't interest me at all, and sport ain't really my thang, but there's a lot more going on here than just the stereotypical cliched image of 'Irishness' would suggest.

My ideal living scenario would be summer in Ireland and winter in Italy/France/Spain..still working on that one :D

I hope things pick up for you- for what it's worth, I hated being 15, IMO teenage years are about the toughest there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Kill yourself?
    But seriously...Ireland isnt to blame....its you,its people like you that make this country what it is, so stfu and stop complaining,get the hell out of my country if you dont like it

I am trying to figure out how this tool never got a reply and/or a sinbinning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I wish I could move to another country, i am only 15 and I was born and raised in Ireland. Does anyone else hate this country? I don't have a lot of friends here and I hate my school. I wish I could move to America or Australia, I HATE MY LIFE HERE!!!!!

There's plenty I could and wish to say to you (sarcastic)

Firstly people who say that all the time, is just no exuse for not getting up of your bony ass and make life interesting, the geography of the county is irrelevant.

Secondly
    Every country my friend is'nt Hollywood and Ireland is far from it, why lump on the dark side. Its what you make of it, everthing is there good and bad
    It's your choice to love and hate

thirdly
    The fact is your a typical teenager, your hormones are all over the place, and of course your moaning, so this is why I take it lightly.

finally I have no time for moaners, (not you personally) they are unhealthy to the human race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I like Ireland. I like the city I live in. I like the people here. The weather is dismal, but I can always wear a coat.

I lived in America - It's fun there. Same principals though. Work through the week, get hammered the weekend. If you plan on moving to a large city there, be prepared to put up with the hustle and bustle of a real large city. took me a while to get used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭cil_aine

to the OP, i used to feel like you when i was a bit younger.
    i live in england, and used to be really pissed off about my life there. i hated my school (not the (majority) of other kids), but the teachers and atmosphere, it was stuck up and really snobby and OTT on the british patriotism and religion)
    people in my area were really narrow minded and conservative, and ignorant.
    i couldnt hack it so used to think about how much i hated the country. i used to think about how much better it would be in ireland ( i'm there for about a thrid of the year). then as i got older i realised *SHOCK HORROR* ireland isn't the answer to all my problems, it has problems of its own.
    but then i thought hard and realsied that my problem was only with a small aspect of english society, conservative middle-upper class people (ie where i went to school Harpenden) and that actually i was proud of where i came from (kentish town, london) and proud of my 'roots' (ireland). Belive me, Ireland could be a lot worse, you're probabaly just in a bad area, like i was. Travel the world, see new places and broaden your horizons too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

america is very over rated and why do you think its irelands fault
    can you really be sure you wouldnt have the problem elsewere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I felt the same at your age.....believe me it gets better. 15 is a tough age.

Once you go to college things change for the better....

It may be just the area uou live in which was one of the main reasons for me at your age...I got the chance to bail out of there at 18 when I started college and never looked back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Jumpy wrote:

did you hit the report button?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

I just did. I dont think comments like that should be allowed especially on PI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Jumpy wrote:
    Victor banned him and a couple of others earlier today. As WWM says, report the post in future if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 smashingpumpkin

i love ireland

Advertisement