Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband is the line enabled when modem Delivered????

• 15-12-2005 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Can anyone who has got BT BB advise me when modem is delivered does that mean the line is enabled. ??
    I order BT BB one week ago and today the modem arrived via SDS. I think the guy I spoke to originally when making the order said the modem would not be delivered until the line was enabled.
    Also my PC Dell 8200 does not seem to have ethernet socked so I will be using USB1. Can one revert to Ethernet later if you install a card in free slot.?
    I have heard that Ethernet is faster than USB1. ??
    Thanks for advice

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

speedbird1 wrote:
    Can anyone who has got BT BB advise me when modem is delivered does that mean the line is enabled. ??

Yes, as with every ISP I've ever heard of this is the case :)
    Also my PC Dell 8200 does not seem to have ethernet socked so I will be using USB1. Can one revert to Ethernet later if you install a card in free slot.?
    Thanks for advice

Yes you can change to ethernet later, to be honest ethernet is ultimately alot less hassel and far more dependable then USB.
    If your able buy yourself a ethernet card from komplett.ie or someplace and install it onto your machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Monty Cantsin

speedbird1 wrote:

It is, but it doesn't matter. Your ADSL connection will be much slower than USB1's 12 Mbit/s max data rate, so you won't notice the difference.

That said, USB isn't designed to be a networking technology the way ethernet is, so as Cabaal mentioned, you get more reliability and less hassle from ethernet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

if it's true, that's the fastest order completion by BT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

speedbird1 wrote:
    Thanks for advice

Are you sure about the ethernet port?:
    http://www.cheatsearch.com/reviews/delldimension8200.html
    have a couple of these machines in work and they definately have ethernet ports (near usb sockets below keyboard mouse connectors)

[
    Oops: are you taking about an Inspiron 8200 laptop, either way it should have an ethernet port (wide phone-socket-like 8 pin connector, sorry to be patronising).
    http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/notebooks/0,39023985,10001978,00.htm
    ]

/MK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭speedbird1

Original post thanks all for advice. No ethernet connection on this machine.
    I have checked it several times but it does not show in device manage either.
    I will go down the USB road for the moment at order ethernet card as I have one free slot left.
    Thanks again to all and I will advise if indeed the line is enabled. I phoned BT tech. support and the guy check and said BB shud be working fine.

• Advertisement

Can u recommend Ethernet card. Will it slot into free slot below where I installed firewire card. ??? I have one free slot left below that.
    Thanks

I can confirm that BT has Broadband is up and running and it took just 7 days.
    I am surprised and even the self installation was painless enough.
    Someone posted the ZyXEL Prestige 660RU modem is crap but mine seems
    to work ok, fingers and everything else crossed.
    Thanks to all for their advice and help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Tbh USB is pretty reliable. if you compare the ratio of people who have a reliable USB connection compared to those who don't, it's a very huge difference. Ethernet cards can have problems too. The only thing you can have problems with USB really are power issues or driver conflicts. You will not notice the difference between connecting between USB and ethernet unless the bandwidth of your connection exceeds that of the USB data transfer. Which it won't.

In anycase, if their modem delivery system is anyway like ours - It's automatically shipped when your line is provisioned with broadband. if the modem syncs up, you're good to go.

Advertisement