Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Enginneering question

Options
  • 15-12-2005 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey I was just wondering if anyone knew the difference between calculating the currents in a 3 phase star circuit and delta circuit? The star (or wye) calculations are fine but I was just wondering how different delta is. I can't really explain it any better than that either because I'm pretty poor at elec!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm afraid all my knowledge of three phase is in the practical side of things not the theoretical. This might help you but I'm not sure exactly what you're asking tbh. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-delta_transform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭muffin_man

Thanks man that really helps! Duno why I didn't think of checking wikipedia! Sorry about the cross post! I just needed an answer ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

muffin_man wrote:
    Thanks man that really helps! Duno why I didn't think of checking wikipedia! Sorry about the cross post! I just needed an answer ASAP

It's no problem, it was just that I was going to move your post in physics to here. Someone could study physics and never come across a star or delta connection. They could understand the maths if presented with them but they wouldn't know the answer off-hand or necessarily what star or delta mean.

The only reason I know what they are is because I spent summers when I was younger working repairing and overhauling industrial motors. I came across the different wiring that way. While studying physics in college I never came across them. We studied general solutions to problems rather than equations for specific engineering problems. You can derive the specific solutions from the general solutions but it's a lot of hassle. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Like nesf, I studied Physics and never came across these configurations until I started to lecture in the CIT. Then I had to prepare lectures on this stuff from scratch. Anyway, it's easy enough to understand once explained well. Here's a useful link I found when preparing lectures. In fact, there's lots of useful electrical engineering stuff on that site.

Just make sure to know the difference between load and line currents.

Advertisement