Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy/Sci-fi books wanted

Options
  • 15-12-2005 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Anyone recommend any good Sci-fi/fantasy books to read? I'm thinking along the lines of George R R Martin 'A song of ice and fire' and 'Dune' by Frank Herbert. Any similar books out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Desmoulins

Have you read the Farseer Trilogy? By Robin Hobb? Its my favourite fantasy series, except maybe 'A song of Ice and Fire'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

There's a list of recommended reading over on the Sci-Fi/Fantasy forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=210284

Personally I think anything written by Guy Gavriel Kay is great though I haven't read his last three books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭muffin_man

Thanks earthhorse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Jay Tomio

Anyone recommend any good Sci-fi/fantasy books to read? I'm thinking along the lines of George R R Martin 'A song of ice and fire' and 'Dune' by Frank Herbert. Any similar books out there?

Martin is rather unique in regards to epic fantasy, but f you mean well-written, large cast, moraly ambiguous series', I'd recommend Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen:

Gardens of the Moon
    DeadHouse Gates
    Memories of Ice
    House of Chains
    Midnight Tides

The BoneHunters (forthcoming February)
    Dust of Dreams (forthcoming)
    Hounds Toll (forthcoming)
    Reapers Cale (forthcoming)
    Crippled God (forthcoming)

and R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing, which includes The Darkness that Comes Before review here) and The Warrior Prophet, thus far with The Thousandfold Thought coming out in Janaury (which I already read and is as tunning conclusion). Plans for another duology or trilogy entitled The Aspect Emperor are in the works to follow.

If you like Dune you might want to check out Brian Aldiss' Heliconia series and Scott Westerfield's Succession duology.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sci-fi: Anything by Arthur C Clarke. Childhoods end is probably my fav.

Fantasy: His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman). My favorite book(s) ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

a recent sci-fi novel i really enjoyed was 'the moon is a harsh mistress' by robert heinlein.

some great political plotting, intrigue, and subversion! very entertaining...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Sci-Fi - The nights dawn trilogy, by Peter F.Hamilton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mm, his dark materials is fantastic.

I liked, Tad williams - Memory,sorrow and Thorn and his other series "otherland", which starts off more sci-fi but elements of fantasy come into it after a book or two... or three :)

Terry brooks' shannara series is decent, it's a little simple but I enjoyed it alot when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Raymond E. Feist's series starting with Talon of the Silver Hawk is pretty good. His Dark Materials is fantastic. For a laugh go with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams or anything by Terry Pratchett.

And (I can't recommend this highly enough) Stephen King's the Dark Tower series. It's 7 books long, and very addictive, so make sure you've got some reading time coming up, but it is absolutely fantastic

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

28064212 wrote:
    And (I can't recommend this highly enough) Stephen King's the Dark Tower series. It's 7 books long, and very addictive, so make sure you've got some reading time coming up, but it is absolutely fantastic

Agreed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Feist - Anything really but best to start at Magician and work from their, you really won't be disappointed.

Also liked Otherland Series, (harder to get into) and Hobb books but for me Feist stands head and shoulders over the rest for Character development and plot...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I loved feist's earlier books, but after I think 'price of krondor'.. it got a bit stale. Still, the first eight or nine books are amazing... love the whole serpentwar saga, and macros, and thomas the dragon king kid...

damnit, now I want to read them all again and I left them in Ireland :/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rtyped

Anything by Stephen Donaldson or Ursla La guinn, Isac Azimov.

fantasy:
    mordant's need
    tomas covenant

scifi:
    the Gap Series

can't wait to read the latest tomas covenant series.

There is a great series , the Masterwork science fiction series I think , it's a collection of different authors. I've read a lot of them from authors I've never heard of and nearly all have been excellent.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mordeth wrote:
    I loved feist's earlier books, but after I think 'price of krondor'.. it got a bit stale. Still, the first eight or nine books are amazing... love the whole serpentwar saga, and macros, and thomas the dragon king kid...

damnit, now I want to read them all again and I left them in Ireland :/

His new series DarkWar has just begun, and he says its probalbly the last medkemia series and that things will be left very different by the end of it.

book one is brilliant, it's a continuation from the Conclave of Shadows series shich i loved but then i do have a huge bias towards Feist...

His dark materials = awesome

Advertisement