Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] PDs unveil regeneration plan for Dublin port

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

They need to build larger apartments. I live alone in a two bed and I have enough room for me. I used to share with someone and we were fine but a little cramped. There is no way you could raise a family in my place. Until developers start making decent sized apartments we are going to be stuck with the never ending sprawl. I would rather commute from outside Dublin and have a house to raise my family in then live in a shoebox in Dublin. In an ideal world I would have a decent sized aparment in Dublin, sadly they don't build them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

paulm17781 wrote:
    They need to build larger apartments. I live alone in a two bed and I have enough room for me. I used to share with someone and we were fine but a little cramped. There is no way you could raise a family in my place. Until developers start making decent sized apartments we are going to be stuck with the never ending sprawl. I would rather commute from outside Dublin and have a house to raise my family in then live in a shoebox in Dublin. In an ideal world I would have a decent sized aparment in Dublin, sadly they don't build them.
    You're right of course, distinct shortage of large apartments in the city but a bit outside the city (here in D15) there are large apartments and cool 4 storey houses (tall and thin to save space!) available. They are limited but they are available in Ongar, where there are 1, 2 3 and 4 bed apts., the idea being that you don't have to move out of the area just because you start/grow your family. This is the way to do it. I assume Adamstown will be the antithesis of this type of development. It ought to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Family sized apartments in Germany are class.. we need that kind of size here. apartments and medium density is the only answer to this fine mess this country is in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

murphaph wrote:
    You're right of course, distinct shortage of large apartments in the city but a bit outside the city (here in D15) there are large apartments and cool 4 storey houses (tall and thin to save space!) available. They are limited but they are available in Ongar, where there are 1, 2 3 and 4 bed apts., the idea being that you don't have to move out of the area just because you start/grow your family. This is the way to do it. I assume Adamstown will be the antithesis of this type of development. It ought to be.

I didn't realise they were starting to do it right. I remember seeing 5 bedroom apartments in London. That kind of thing is what is needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hopefully, as Dublin's inner suburbs are knocked and rebuilt to higher densities, that a generation of people who have bought into apartment living will be coming on stream and they will be ok with bringing kids up in suitably large apartments. It must be said however, that in general we 'require' far more space as irish people than say, the germans. They will bring kids up in very small apartments and so long as proper communal facilities are provided, the kids don'tseem too unbalanced and then when they grow up they don't expect a huge amount of space either. I don't think we'll ever get to the point whereby we are happy in one room (that's for sleeping and living and eating in) apartments (common in Germany).

• Advertisement

busy with the crayons. This is what they should do with the port. The grey is infil. Nice clean tidy and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Maskhadov wrote:
    busy with the crayons. This is what they should do with the port. The grey is infil. Nice clean tidy and simple.

...and destroy Clontarf Strand and half of Sandymount! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

So how about actual quayside space and drainage for the toalk and things like that?

Is your plan perhaps superficial - an exercise in crayonism?

àttached is an updated crayon image.

The Tolka is diverted into the north canal.

Sea protection wall may need to be built around Dublin Bay like the one near the strand row.

That beach would probably need a sea dredger to keep the beach clean and enough sand there.

The rest of the space is perfect for development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Like most things you post on Boards Maskhadov, the only place it will exist is in your head.

• Advertisement

its about right bigjim. It would clean up the whole port area and make the bay look respectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Article in today's Sunday Business Post - "Redevelopment of Dublin Port to get council backing".

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement