Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice/Rat,s

Options
  • 15-12-2005 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Hope this is the right place to put this i have mice or rats under the floor and was wondering what,s the best way to get rid off them :mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Why do you suspect furry visitors.
    Is it sounds under the floor, or clear evidence of them.
    If its rats , under your floor, they need a source of water. And if they cannot get it in the house, there must be an exit from the house , to get out for water. So check all exterior possible access.

Mice or rats, its a question of catching them in traps. Poison would not be the best option, a smelly corpse under your floor, is a no no . Trap them, and ship em out.

kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Ta Kadman how,s the form yes its 1 or the other little fecker,s had a go at my plasma lead
    How you think i will go about trapping them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Mousetrap, and a bit of melted chocolate, or bacon, they cant resist that.

If its a rat, trap will probably be gone. Time for the bigger trap, and you might have to fix that to something, to stop ratty from taking it away.
    This time of year , more likely to be a mouse.

kadman:)

OBTW saw's going a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

there sticky pads that you can get that gives off a scent which attracts them and they get stuck and die, i think you can only get these off pest countrol companys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

texas homecare sell rentokill TIP TRAPS, these are traps that are really really clever, they dont kill the mouse, u can release it a few miles away in a field.
    that way u have no blood on ur hands and also they have a 100% success rate in my experiance, u will catch them all in a few days. just set it at 11 pm, and check when u wake up as u really dont want to leave the mouse in there more than 7 ish hours. they are very very good:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

We had mice earlier. The humane trap worked fine- Peanut Butter is the best bait. But new mice kept arriving. I eventually got one of those ultrasonic repellents from woodies- no furry rodents since !:D

Ta you lot i will get a sound thingy for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

u have to kill them! if you let them live they will either come back to your house or go to someone elses house! i hate mice.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

tabatha wrote:
    u have to kill them! if you let them live they will either come back to your house or go to someone elses house! i hate mice.

There are huge numbers of mice out there already, including your back garden. The vast majority do not want to enter yer house or know how. Killing them to save them coming back is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Kill 'em all. Let God sort "em out.:cool:

Nothing better than a tradition trap with bacon rind to get rid of those pesky critters....Pernamantly. Your family health is more important that Mickey or Roland any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

I have been setting traps under my floor boards for about a month now.... little feckers must be breeding - have caught 8 so far - sister-in-law has caught 11!! Also bought one of those sonic things - for all the good it's doing - still they are scratching around....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kadman wrote:
    Mice or rats, its a question of catching them in traps. Poison would not be the best option, a smelly corpse under your floor, is a no no . Trap them, and ship em out.
    The poison causes internal bleeding so can take days to die, and are thirsty so may leave to find water. Not a pleasent way to go. In the pound shops there are sticky paper things. Very stressful way to die, since they die of exhaustion trying to free themselves or starvation. If you use them then check every few hours. Same with the tip traps, if the animal is trapped it can die if left there too long.

You can get cages and release them elsewhere. IIRC more than 30m away means that mice are unlikely to find their way back.

1 Get some hair colouring / peroxide
    2 Get ready to go phone
    3 Catch Rodent
    4 put ad in Buy and Sell
    5 !!
    6 Profit

A lot of the mice are field mice just looking for somewhere warm to spend the winter so if you get any then you need to find how they got in and fix that hole otherwise more will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

IIRC more than 30m away means that mice are unlikely to find their way back.

Nah,not hope in hell would I drive 30miles away using up petrol.Got a plain old mouse trap for €1.25 and caught four of them.Blocked up a hole were I thought they were coming in and none so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Had a problem with mice in the attic over the last three winters. Then this winter one got under the floorboards upstairs. I could not figure out how they were getting in until I suspected perhaps via a pipe in the outside boiler. I set a trap in there and caught one that night. Since I sealed up that entry point, no more problems. I found the old fashioned traps the best for dealing with them in the attic. As for the floorboards, I did not want to be lifting up boards so I went down the poison route. The most effective over the counter one is 'Storm' by BASF, however the stuff the pest control companies have is about fifty times stronger and is only bought under licence. That will get them out very quickly. For entry points also check behind any outside water pipes from your sinks.

problem is i live in a block of 5 terrace houses so if they are getting in it could be through any of the houses. i have checked mine and it is full proof at my end! if eveyone killed them then we wouldnt have so many in the first place. bloody do gooders!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mad m wrote:
    Nah,not hope in hell would I drive 30miles away using up petrol.Got a plain old mouse trap for €1.25 and caught four of them.Blocked up a hole were I thought they were coming in and none so far....
    There are 1609m in a mile.

/me has images of mice standing by the road side with their tiny little maps trying to work out how long it will to hike 29.9 miles back

tabatha wrote:
    problem is i live in a block of 5 terrace houses so if they are getting in it could be through any of the houses. i have checked mine and it is full proof at my end! if eveyone killed them then we wouldnt have so many in the first place. bloody do gooders!:D
    the ultrasonic thingie will work perfect, the mice will move into your neighbours :D

have the ultrasonic thing and not worth a ****e. spent about 70 euro on the thing and put a mouse trap beside it and caught one! what does that tell u!

did you plug it in?

• Advertisement

lol, of course, i may be blonde but come on!!! even pressed the tester button to make sure it was working!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Maybe the mice are deaf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Hi Carpenter,

I have a couple of humane traps you can borrow if you want

Redman

Hi redman how it going ta for the offer but i think they are gone (Hope so) how,s the gang ? all ready for christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

All good Carpenter.

Nearly had the old boiler burst and destroy the excellent work you did for us.

Luckily we got it all changed just in time!

Nice 1 glad you got it in time tell all i said happy christmas ( hope santa is good to the dote of a daughter of yours) cheer,s

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Help, I have i believe a rat.I have tried old fashioned spring rat trap using chocolate, peanut butter cheese bacon chicken and glue traps to no avail. Refuses to go near spring trap and pulls the bin apart but not if I put the glue trap in it. I did not want to go down the poison route for fear of corpse in the walls but the ****er ate through the hose of the washing machine nearly destroying the kitchen. I have closed up the entry point, cavity under step of extension not sealed. Should I now open this hole again to let him out and lay poison. I am dreaming about him now and it aint pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Yup, got similar problem. Got the fecker in the kitchen too. Blocked off acess to outside as leaving it open has resulted in more arriving :eek:. Have now blocked off most off the easy exits into kitchen (is under kitchen units) bar one which is somehow unblockabe due to heating pipes. The fecker avoids all traps we have set so far. Only option now is to starve the bastard, have ordered rat killer (eradirat) stuff which is not a poison, but basically dries them out from the inside , they get sluggish and lapse into coma and DIE! Thats the theory. Used to get the stuff in local coop which no longer stock the stuff and were messing me about .. Oh yeah, and no smell when they are dead due to mummification (so it says on the tub).
    Yer only option is to make sure that there is ABSOLUTELY no source of food and water around. They must die eventually (thats my mantra now while waiting for the stuff from England to arrive). Oh yeah got cats but they can't get to the ****er as it shoots off into hideyhole but they sure tired it out one day - fun and games !!

Advertisement