Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank the Lord our politicians dont work longer hours.

Options
  • 15-12-2005 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just think of the damage they could do.

from rte.
    The Dáil has agreed to take a Christmas holiday of just under six weeks from this evening until Wednesday 25 January.

The only objection to the holiday came from the Green Party leader, Trevor Sargent. Mr Sargent's proposal to bring the Dáil back two weeks earlier was defeated.

As you can see all but one of them fought the temptation to resumne doing thier public duty, but he was defeated by sheer numbers!

Mike.

Comments

It's not like there going to spend the next few weeks sitting on their arses. They're still going to be working in their constituencies etc. I'd reckon politicians will be doing more hours than the vast majority of people in those six weeks.

Maybe they should spend more time in the Oireachtas, but to suggest that they're lazy and won't be doing anything until they got back is just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,982 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But they're elected to govern the country, not run around as constituency gombeen men, promising to support both sides in planning disputes, kissing babies and attending funerals. That's just working towards their own re-election.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

ninja900 wrote:
    But they're elected to govern the country, not run around as constituency gombeen men, promising to support both sides in planning disputes, kissing babies and attending funerals. That's just working towards their own re-election.
    Thats the political culture in this country and is going to be very hard to change

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Whats that scheme again where public servants have to adjust to working norms in the private sector before they get their pay rises?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

ninja900 wrote:
    That's just working towards their own re-election.
    Democracy does not elect the most integrity, the most intellect, not the most courage. It elects the most votes.

By getting votes they are clearly pleasing people - what's wrong with that?

Before you say they should focus of important things, do you not have trust in your neighbours to vote appropriately? 'Cause I thought that was a pretty fundemental assumption in democracy.

To be honest I'd appreciate if my TD's were on the ground more than in the Dáil.

• Advertisement

By getting votes they are clearly pleasing people - what's wrong with that?
    What pleases people isn't necessarily whats good for people.
    Before you say they should focus of important things, do you not have trust in your neighbours to vote appropriately?
    Hell no.
    'Cause I thought that was a pretty fundemental assumption in democracy.
    It is their right to vote, it is their right to be wrong, it is their right to be fickle and vote for a turkey (hey, enough of them get elected :D). That does not equate to good governance by those elected.
    To be honest I'd appreciate if my TD's were on the ground more than in the Dáil.
    One has to strike a balance. We appear not to have that balance. On the one hand, only one of the party leaders at the last election could state the (approximate) price of a litre of milk and on the other end of the scale you have PPARS.

Victor wrote:
    Whats that scheme again where public servants have to adjust to working norms in the private sector before they get their pay rises?
    Ah, yes, benchmarking.

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/7090891?view=Eircomnet
    Taoiseach to get fifth pay rise in six months
    Saturday, 31st December, 2005

The Taoiseach will benefit from an annual pay rise of €5,500 from tomorrow, the fifth salary increase for him and his Ministers in six months. Stephen Collins, Political Correspondent, reports.

The increase of 3.5 per cent, which will bring Bertie Ahern's salary to over €252,000, is the second phase of an interim special pay award for higher public servants. Others who will benefit are Ministers, senior civil servants, heads of semi-State companies, county managers and judges.

The latest rise will mean that Mr Ahern's salary has increased by almost €25,000 in less than a year through a combination of public service pay rounds, benchmarking and special awards. The increase for the Taoiseach and his Ministers began on June 1st last with a 1.5 per cent pay rise under Sustaining Progress. This applied to both their TD salary and their much bigger office-holder's allowance.

On the same day they also received the last phase of the benchmarking award of just over 3 per cent on their TD salary.

A month later the Taoiseach and his Ministers got the first phase of an interim special pay award. This increase of 3.75 per cent was designed to compensate senior public servants who did not qualify for benchmarking and was also applied to ministerial allowances.

On December 1st, the Government received the second 1.5 per cent phase of Sustaining Progress in line with the rest of the public service. This award was paid on the basis of "verified" improvements in flexibility and productivity, and Ministers got the increase both on their TD pay and their office-holder's allowance.

Tomorrow's pay rise is the second phase of the special pay award and comes to 3.5 per cent. It will apply to ministerial allowances and not to the basic pay of TDs.

The Taoiseach and his Ministers have accumulated the two special awards to compensate them for a loss of relativity with TDs, who benefited from benchmarking though they also benefited from the benchmarking process on the TD portion of their pay.

The latest increases mean that Tánaiste Mary Harney's total pay will be €216,694; Attorney General Rory Brady will earn €202,020; and Ministers will be on €198,921.

Ministers of State will also get the special pay award, and their total salary will now be close to €150,000 a year.

The most senior secretaries general of government departments will now earn almost €240,000, with the standard rate for the position now nearly €190,000.

Those employed under a new system that requires them to make a 5 per cent contribution to their generous pension arrangements will get almost €10,000 extra to cover their pension payments. Deputy secretaries will get €149,288 and assistant secretaries €126,186, plus another 5 per cent to cover their pension contribution.

The judiciary will also benefit from the special pay increase. The chief justice will have a salary of over €250,000, Supreme Court judges will get almost €220,000 and High Court judges €205,000, Circuit Court judges €150,000 and District Court judges €125,000. The latest increases will also apply to the pensions of former ministers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

They're still going to be working in their constituencies
    Doing what? I have yet to hear a single example of "constituency work". Don't constituencies have county councils to take care of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

I have no problem with ministers, senior civil servants etc getting good pay rises. These jobs are some of the most important in the country and with all the mis-management and waste of public money, I think we need to encourage good people into the public sector.
    Presumably the most capable civil servants are promoted, unfortunately the credentials and accountability of the politicians is often lacking.
    I think it is very rich and contradictary for people to give out about pay increases but expect top managment practice.

Advertisement