Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding meat in your dinner

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

koolkat wrote:
    people thinkin that even though you're a vegetarian you eat chicken or fish is one of my pet hates. like when you go to dinner somewhere and they know you're a veggie so they cook you fish oh how it does annoy me

Chicken? CHICKEN?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

It rather annoys me too, also I prefer our old name 'pythagoreans' over 'vegetarians'. Bring it back I say! wonder what we were called before that.

Pythagoras is one of the reasons I chose this name, but I once read that he and his followers would not eat mushrooms or beans for their texture somewhat resembled that of flesh!

On the topic of finding meat in my meal, I think that the damage would already be done, and refusing to eat it and allowing it to go to waste would not undo that fact and bring the being back to life. On a related issue, I feel that when I die I would prefer others to eat, or otherwise make use of, my body, rather than dropping me in a hole to rot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Samos wrote:
    On the topic of finding meat in my meal, I think that the damage would already be done, and refusing to eat it and allowing it to go to waste would not undo that fact and bring the being back to life.

Eh, you could say that about any meat option in a restaurant. In fact it pisses me off when meat-eaters say "ah sure the animals dead already"...

Samos wrote:
    On a related issue, I feel that when I die I would prefer others to eat, or otherwise make use of, my body, rather than dropping me in a hole to rot!

Careful! CJD!

You can donate your organs, though; that way, all the useful bits get re-used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Eh, you could say that about any meat option in a restaurant. In fact it pisses me off when meat-eaters say "ah sure the animals dead already"...

Good point. Because we live in a market system, where supply and demand matter, abstaining from unethical produce does make a difference, for if fewer people are buying a good it will be less profitable to the business and eventually if margins are low enough that business will stop selling the item. Some people say that one person refusing to eat meat hardly makes a difference, but the effect is cumulative. We can only control the actions of businesses by our own boycotts because they listen only to the call of profits not what is right.

There are circumstances, say eating at a relative's home, where the meat may not have been bought especially, and so the above logic would not apply. However, it may be worth objecting, if only to stick to the principle and perhaps to convince those particular relatives. But I've found personally that it's very difficult to sway family members, and prefer not to rock the boat with them too much...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

samos wrote:
    On the topic of finding meat in my meal, I think that the damage would already be done, and refusing to eat it and allowing it to go to waste would not undo that fact and bring the being back to life.
    mmmm food, Pm sent ;)

Good point. Because we live in a market system, where supply and demand matter, abstaining from unethical produce does make a difference, for if fewer people are buying a good it will be less profitable to the business and eventually if margins are low enough that business will stop selling the item. Some people say that one person refusing to eat meat hardly makes a difference, but the effect is cumulative. We can only control the actions of businesses by our own boycotts because they listen only to the call of profits not what is right.

There are circumstances, say eating at a relative's home, where the meat may not have been bought especially, and so the above logic would not apply. However, it may be worth objecting, if only to stick to the principle and perhaps to convince those particular relatives. But I've found personally that it's very difficult to sway family members, and prefer not to rock the boat with them too much...
    I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

chips can be cooked in animal fat TAR,be afraid be very afraid! do you lot avoid gelatine in all medicines foods sweets etc????????????

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes I now they can be and avoid it. I avoid that other stuff to the best of my ability too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

It's pretty hard to avoid a lot of stuff but then I'm interested in food so I look at the ingredients anyway... wish they'd get rid of the term 'flavourings' though.. could mean anything!!

Peanut wrote:
    It's pretty hard to avoid a lot of stuff but then I'm interested in food so I look at the ingredients anyway... wish they'd get rid of the term 'flavourings' though.. could mean anything!!

The European Union, in its infinite wisdom and beneficence, is talking about doing just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

9 out of 10 times if there's cabbage and bacon on a menu they've been boiled together, I've often ordered cabbage to find it riddled with pieces of bacon. As if options aren't limited enough without taking cabbage out of things.
    As has been said vegetable soup or what might sound like vegetarian soup is rarely vegetarian and is nearly always made from meat stock.
    At times I get dissilusioned at the lack of choice and the limitations that are put on the options that should be vegetarian :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

rsynnott wrote:
    The European Union, in its infinite wisdom and beneficence, is talking about doing just that.

Awesome.
    I for one will support their addition of extra red tape and bureaucracy in this regard :D:D

Advertisement