Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Windows/Doors

Options
  • 15-12-2005 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I just got home today to see my new Senator windows and doors, I was pretty happy untill I had a good look at the front door.
    There is a breeze blowing around the door.
    Now the aspect of the house means that it is facing a pretty strong wind a lot of the time, but I would still have expected the door to be pretty much airtight.
    Its a PVC door btw.
    Im going to ring them tomorrow and complain, any one think I dont have a case?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Of course you have an excellent case. PVC doors above all other materials, timber and aluminium, are the easiest to manufacture and seal properly.

The bubble gaskets that are used in the sealing of pvc windows and doors, is an excellent product, and should not allow a draught by them.

It is possible that the gaskets have been installed too short. When these gaskets are fitted, they are supposed to be cut about 100 mmm longer than needed, because they do shrink when exposed to sun light, and heat ect.

The doors and windows should be airtight. It is also possible that the receivers on the 3-5 point lock need adjusting. But you definitely should be snug as a bug this christmas. Not windblown.

Complain, too many people dont. Do it tommorrow, they have to sort it for you.

kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kadman wrote:
    It is also possible that the receivers on the 3-5 point lock need adjusting.
    Its a 5 point and I reckon this is the problem.
    If I just shut the door there is a definite draught, then when I engage the locking the door gets pulled in and the draught is reduced and there is also quite an audible difference, everything is much more muffled.
    I reckon the receivers are just too far back and are not compressing the seal enough.
    Deffo gonna call tomorrow, there is no point in having Pilkington K with a bloody breeze blowing around it!!

Cheers for confirmation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Greebo,

The main problems that occur with PVC doors are the hinges, they have a few settings and it can take time and patience or a lot of experience to get them right.

I hope your cheque is still in limbo waiting to be cleared because it may be the biggest incentive they have to fix your door.

rooferPete wrote:
    I hope your cheque is still in limbo waiting to be cleared because it may be the biggest incentive they have to fix your door..
    well it hasnt been cashed yet, should I ring the bank?
    Can I get it "held" until my say so or do I have to cancel it?

To be fair to them, when I rang they offered to send someone out today (which I cant make) and then offered Monday, so I think thats pretty good.
    Hopefully it will be resolved easily enough, either receivers or hinges.
    Will update on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

We are replacing our external doors and front windows.

I have been researching a bit today and asking a few questions. There is quite a lot of choice out there.

Undoubtedly, Rationel have become the 'Ballygowan' of the window and door business and are frequently used as a key selling point in new developments.

But, there are others in the market and I am wonderin if any of you have any experience of them.

For the convenience of others, here are the few that I came across today:

SWEDEX - Showroom

Unit H11
    Centrepoint Business Park
    Oak Road
    Off the Naas Road
    Dublin 12

TELEPHONE
    0404 47464

Rationel – Showroom

Rationel Windows Limited
    Unit 2
    Bridge Court Office Park
    Walkinstown Avenue
    Dublin 12.

Tel. 01-4092900

Carlson – Showroom

Carlson & Company Ltd.
    G1 Calmount Park
    Ballymount
    Dublin 12

Tel. +353 1 462 5777

NorDan – Showroom

NorDan Vindeur Ltd
    Unit 50, Park West Business Park
    Nangor Road
    Clondalkin
    Dublin 22
    Ireland

T.: (+353) 1 460 0210

Harmon Vinduer – Showroom

Harmon Vinduer Limited.
    2B Century Business Park,
    St Margaret's Road,
    Dublin 11
    Tel: (01) 8644249

Munster Joinery

Ballydesmond,
    County Cork,
    Ireland
    Telephone: 064 51151

In the end, I will probably get quotes from all of them (I am in no rush), but if anyone has any experiences to share or, indeed, other companies I should include, please let me know. I will add any other to the above list.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Just added Munster Joinery to the above list.

Got their brochure in the post this morning. Slick it ain't! ;-) But, they do have a lot of product. As someone said to me yesterday, given that they've been around longer than most, it's a bit strange that they have such a hopeless web presence. For such a big player, 'Site Under Construction' is inexcusable.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I got new uPVC doors and windows from a Fermanagh based company(including garage & patio doors) installed over the summer. The lads who did it 'tweaked' the settings on the doors they had previously installed as they had had time to settle in. I don't think the Senator crowd are going to mind coming round to finish off the job. The Northern lads were great, they cleaned up the mess they made, plastered around the doors and even washed the windows before I came home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭AJL

I just got an excellebt price from Munster Joinery on Windows and French Doors in the Nordice pine range.
    Anybody got pros and cons against using them. Any problems with them. Are they reliable

He quote 1.9 U for the whole frame and glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

kadman wrote:

Complain, too many people dont. Do it tommorrow, they have to sort it for you.

kadman:)

I had a very bad experience with Senator, these guys take the word 'cowboys' to a new level.
    Use Munster or anyone else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had experience of asking Munster Joinery for quotes some time ago.
    Faxed them through measurements for 5 windows & received faxed quote of €1,000. Decided to hold fire on the windows for a couple of months & when I approached MJ 3 months later the price was €1,500!

Called the Sales Manager & gave him a "piece of my mind". Said that they "made a mistake" on the first quote & second quote was correct. Be careful... That said - they are quite good value compared to some of the others.

Ended up using Royal Windows in Swords. Only manufacture, but don't install. Great product & service & very reasonable.

Royal Windows, Estuary Business Park, Lissenhall, Swords, Co Dublin. Tel: 01 8404481 Email: sales@royalwindows.ie.

Update on my Senator Windows (actually doors) problem

ARGH
    There is still a draught at the front door, I dont know if it was fixed or just not windy at the time.
    Anywho, now the door is not closing properly, it looks like one of the points is hitting of its receiver, so the door needs to be banged shut.
    while I was investigating this I discovered the reason for the draught around the handle.
    Either the fecking door or the frame is warped.
    If I close the door slowly the top and bottom touch the seals while the middle is about 1.5cm away, no wonder there is a feckin breeze.
    I held a level up to both and they both seems pretty level, will have to get a plumb at it tonight and see which is out.

On another fine note, Im also having problems with the French Doors now, seems to be the same issue as above. Sometimes when closing the door frame is hitting off one of the receivers. It seems to happen if the door has been left open for a while and it can be "fixed" by lifting the door. I reckon the door it not hung properly...
    Possibly related the lock is a bugger to close unless you really, really lift the handle to engage the 5 point locking part.

Gonna ring them today and give them a load.

GreeBo wrote:
    Update on my Senator Windows (actually doors) problem

On another fine note, Im also having problems with the French Doors now,

Gonna ring them today and give them a load.

Our french doors are botched and they never fix right, draughts still occur and I've had to seal up windows myself. Also there are some windows we dare not open at all!

Best of luck

Yikes!
    Who did your install. Senator or someone else?
    If it was Senator you have a 10 year guarantee, Im going to keep ringing them until its all perfect.
    I ahve already had them back out 4 times, I have no intention of stopping.
    I didnt pay 13 grand for a "nearly" job.

Ring them and get them out to your house.

GreeBo wrote:
    Yikes!
    Ring them and get them out to your house.

I did and it got nasty, after a while you just give up or goto court. They can play all day at the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Has anyone used Bonner windows in Artane, Dublin 5? They look good and their double glazing seems fairly advance and has a 10 year guarantee. Ciaran.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fullirish

Old thread I know - but have a quote from this company Bonner - anyone know if they are any good ? Anyone any experiences with the company ? Or recommend another company who will supply and fit french doors in Dublin ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement