Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom seemed to upped their speed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Can you get NTL in waterford? If so you are luckier than the eircon Dubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Mini_Moose

still sore from the knowledge that Sweden will be getting 100Meg broadband for the equivilent of 50Eur/month.

Sorry to say that it's closer to 35 a month for it.
    And i have friends who complain about their 10mb connections :(

Mini_Moose wrote:
    And i have friends who complain about their 10mb connections :(

There's the proof. People will always want more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

paulm17781 wrote:
    There's the proof. People will always want more.
    Well 10Mb is not really that much when your neighbor has 100Mb - must keep up with the Joneses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Well, maybe Sweden want to keep up with the Jones' in Hong Kong with a 1 gig line... http://www.convergedigest.com/Bandwidth/newnetworksarticle.asp?ID=14545

God, to think that we're creaming ourselves just thinking about a 10 meg connection!

• Advertisement

Linoge wrote:
    Well, maybe Sweden want to keep up with the Jones' in Hong Kong with a 1 gig line... http://www.convergedigest.com/Bandwidth/newnetworksarticle.asp?ID=14545

What would you do with 1 gig symetric? You would have to be using VOIP and IP tv to come close to needing a connection like that. Would still be nice though......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Cremo wrote:
    still 2048/128 BT here in bray :(
    Ditto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Is this a nation wide thing? Are they upgrading all the lines to 2mb? i'm on a 1mb line here in Wexford Town.

Zhane wrote:
    Is this a nation wide thing? Are they upgrading all the lines to 2mb? i'm on a 1mb line here in Wexford Town.
    Of course it's nationwide; it's €ircon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Hey,
    Is there any way of finding out which exchange I'm on - I'm in Ballsbridge and still seem to be on 1mb/128k. Shouldn't this be 2mb/256k now, or am I just being greedy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Ryaller wrote:
    Hey,
    Is there any way of finding out which exchange I'm on - I'm in Ballsbridge and still seem to be on 1mb/128k. Shouldn't this be 2mb/256k now, or am I just being greedy?
    To find your exchange go to www.smarttelecom.ie and click on smart broadband (the one for €35 a month) and enter your number and it tells you which exchange you're on. Don't sign up for the service obviously though. Checking if its available in your area gives you your exchange.

I didn't see ballsbridge listed on those eircom pages mentioned earlier so you'll probably have to wait a while like the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Thanks Aphex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭bla

what upgrade do the people on 2m/128 get? or is there any?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Latest from the Eircom site:

Tuesday 20th December 2005
    You might experience a possible 15 minutes disruption to your broadband service starting at 0030 hrs.

* Drogheda, Co.Louth.
    * Dundalk, Co.Louth.
    * Phibsboro, Dublin.
    * Swords, Dublin.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

bla wrote:
    what upgrade do the people on 2m/128 get? or is there any?

2/128 -> 3/384

Has anyone actually had a 2MB line upgraded yet? I remember seeing people mention getting 2/256 from the 1MB line alright.

What about other companies? (I'm sure BT/Netsource/etc can allow/disallow upgrades on their customers) So has anyone from BT/other non Eircom company gotten their line upgraded?

I'm with BT in Drogheda on a 1MB connection which is due for upgrade according to my earlier post this evening so I should know tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Anyone else on DOLPHINS BARN??? I just vnc'ed home and checked on a dsl speed test and it seems to be still 2mb/128k.

Bfoire you all start flaming me i did quit vnc while the test was running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I have 2/128 on the Drogheda exchange so let you know the good news in the morning hopefully.

I'm not 100% but I doubt the work in exchanges has anything to do with the speed upgrades. At 4 exchanges per week it would take them nearly 4 years to upgrade everyones speed.

It might be prep work for the upgrades due after Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

cerbeus wrote:
    It might be prep work for the upgrades due after Christmas.
    it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

no upgrade here

Greystones exchange - Eircom Business 2mb/128

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

No upgrade here either on Rochestown exchange on the Business Plus package. Infact it's been crap for a few days now 3Mb connection and getting about 50kbps downloads and massive latency.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

halenger wrote:
    2/128 -> 3/384

Has anyone actually had a 2MB line upgraded yet? I remember seeing people mention getting 2/256 from the 1MB line alright.

I works for Eircom and I have come across people on the Upgraded 3 meg Line, on the malahide exchange

Good stuff. I just thought it was odd that noone mentioned it on here. :)
    Thanks stackeye.

Redshift wrote:
    No upgrade here either on Rochestown exchange on the Business Plus package. Infact it's been crap for a few days now 3Mb connection and getting about 50kbps downloads and massive latency.
    That's the upgraded connection.

€ircon style!

Last night's work on the Drogheda exchange wasn't to upgrade as I'm still getting only 1MB. :mad:

Maybe it was only the prep work for the upgrades in January.
    Let's hope so.

*prods the "upgrades-on" switch impatiently* :)

I really am impatient. The upload is the main thing of interest to me. It'll make a lot of things go smoother (VNC/working from home etc). Anyway, I was looking yesterday but I couldn't see a sign of a date mentioned for this upgrade. Didn't we have a date last time? 1st week of January -versus- last week in January. Makes an ever so slight difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

I was in contact with Netsource and they were informed by Eircom it will be happening mid-january.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

halenger wrote:
    2/128 -> 3/384

Yep in work (with digiweb).

http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ gives me 2.57Mbs and 299kbs upload.

Advertisement