Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irregular periods

• 16-12-2005 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if there's any boardies, obviously of the female variety, who suffer from irregular periods.
    Mine have been completely irregular since they first started about 7 years ago, i can even go for months at a time with none at all.

I know this isnt a medical forum, basically i'd like to know if there's anyone with this problem who has been to a doctor and told its normal for some people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

ok, well this is coming from a chick that got her period at age 12 (if that..may have been 11)...I am now into my 30's, so I have had them for a lot of my life....

Irregular periods can be normal...if that is 'normal' for you. If you had regular periods for 10 years and then suddenly they stopped or were late etc you would think 'oh crap' something is up here!!!!

I am not sure how old you are, but I do know that your body is still developing etc (hormones going nuts) up until you are in your very late teens. Eg, you can have your period yet still be developing physically elsewhere and what not.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.... Some women bleed to the point of losing too much, some women don't bleed hardly at all.

Are you on the pill or do you have an implanon etc in??? That may make a difference.

Sorry I can't be more specific....would need to know a bit more about you first.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i got first period at late age 14, almost 15, 5 years later they have gotten a bit more regular..generally 4 weeks from the end of one to the start of antoher, so every 5 weeks, i estimate. plenty of women have irregular periods, my friend is like clockwork every 4 weeks, i have a rough idea when it's gonna start. if you have always been irregular(ish) its pretty normal, but yours do sound a bit off the scale, are they heavy when they do arrive? maybe just have a chat with a doc to reassure yourself (not saying there's a prob) but often irregular /skipped periods are indications of underlying problems. as you say yours have always been irregular so maybe thats just you, i was pretty irregaular for a couple of yrs also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭savoyard

I know some women who have always had irregular periods and it was totally normal. Others didn't and it was a sign of gynological problems. Anorexics can have extremely irregular or no periods, and I know being stressed out always delayed mine.

Go to your doctor and get it checked out - chances are it is absolutely nothing but if it is a sign of something else going on it your body, it would be better to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

hi i always had irregular periods, mighn't have them for months then i could have them for a month, finish for three days then have them again for a month. they were really heavy too so i went to the doctors.

was a pain in the ass really coz they'd to ask if it could be hereditory(spelling), unfortunately i couldn't find this out as my parents are divorced and i'd no way of contacting my mum so they did a blood test to see if anything was wrong. it was all clear but they decided to put me on the pill which did wonders for me. now i've regular periods. only thing is if i'm put on some anti-biotica it kinda messes them up for the first month but they go back to normal them. reason i was put on the pill was because i'd them for four months straight when i went to the docs also.

yea the pill can be prescribed for heavy periods/or to regulate them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I stay on the pill purely to regulate my irregular periods. I can get them at any time, no pattern to it, and its really frustrating!! So I found a pill I like, and stick to it, that way I know exactly when it's coming and for how long.

So OP, irregular periods are really common!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well you should be talking to your Dr about it and if your not happy with your drs answers, then push for the dr to get you an appointment with a GYN either
    in the Rotunda or in The Coombe.

It could be normal for you or it could be a indicator for other things and tbh
    as ever with your health the sooner you know the better and the more
    options you will have.

I know some onw who has painfull and irregular periods for years and the Dr kept
    saying it was 'normal' for her turn out she had endometriosis which was left so
    long she needed an operations and may have difficulty having children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

My periods have always been irregular (12 yrs)
    Went on the pill a few times to regulate them, but when I come off the pill they go haywire again.
    2 weeks, 8 weeks, 6 weeks............... etc, etc, etc

Been to the doc lately, & she said more than likely there's no problem but as I'm in my mid 20's she said she wouldn't delay in getting pregnant just in case

(She didn't say to go out & grab the 1st fella I see or anything, but when I'm ready, not to put it off)

not sure if I was more relieved or worried about that!!!

There has never been fertility problems in my family so hopefully everything will be ok.

(Also, mine aren't very heavy, nor are they light, & they're ALWAYS very painful)

Mine are heavy-ish the second day and night, not painful(thank god), the only indication of their arrival is slight cramps, usually last 5 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

The worst I had was when I was 18 and missed 5 in a row. :eek: All in all that year I only had about 4 or 5. the next year I had 6!!

Doctor said that's just the way I am. I'm 21, I still miss them now.

As for a comment about this being hereditory, my ma is as regular as clockwork despite the fact she's in her 50s.

Unless it crept over from my dad's side...

Oh what's weird is I get PMS but no period sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm pretty irregular too... I tend to only get about 6-7 a year. And they're light too... handy for me! :) I'm just glad I don't have frequent, heavy ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

just on this subject...whenevr i get my periods i never get any physical pain but i get really,REALLY low and down. So much so that i often go for three days not trying to talk to anyone cos i know il be in a foul mood. I can cry at the drop of a hat and get so narky at the littilest things-its the worst ever:(

Advertisement