Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable Media Forum?

• 16-12-2005 3:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many people think we should have a dedicated Portable Media forum for digital audio/media player discussion? I noticed that cormie campaigned for this a good while back on the Forums board but didn't really get much support. But then again how many regulars here read the Forums page? That's why I'm asking this question here first.

So anyway my reasons for having a dedicated PMP forum:

1) As cormie pointed out in the aforementioned thread there is no clear cut place to post your questions about your iPod, iRiver etc. The gadgets forum has more or less become the adopted refuge for such topics, but that’s probably not very obvious to a lot of people and as a result you occasionally see such threads popping up in various other forums.

2) Can DAP's really be classified as a gadget anymore? My interpretation of the term gadget is something that's quirky or unusual. DAP's have certainly become way too mainstream to be called a gadget IMO. In fact they're probably only second to the mobile as far as personal electronic devices go.

3) There is certainly enough traffic to justify setting up a dedicated forum as at least 50% of the threads in the gadget forum relate to DAP's.

Do you think we should have a dedicated Portable Media forum? 13 votes

Yes, good idea.
    0%
    No, the gadgets forum will do.
    100%
    Bardnjmurphyhopefulbranners69ubumuckwarriortripperphantom_lord440HzRuskie4RentDuiskefrodo_dcuDude111 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Agreed. Good idea.

The mod could be someone proven to be fairly knowledgeable and with connections in the industry - e.g.: someone who works in an computers or electrical store and sells them on a daily basis. (Not pimping myself here - how about byte?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Bard wrote:
    The mod could be someone proven to be fairly knowledgeable and with connections in the industry - e.g.: someone who works in an computers or electrical store and sells them on a daily basis. (Not pimping myself here - how about byte?).
    Indeed, actually had you byte or cormie in mind meself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I certainly wouldn't mind helping if required alright. I like to think I have my finger more-or-less on the MP3 player pulse... or at least close to it ... considering I run the MP3 section of a relatively major computer retail store
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Just to let you all know that Bard has suggested this over on the forums board. So if ye all want to head over here and lend your support. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the mod vote but I don't think I would suit the job, I'm not so much a gadget man, all I really want to know is what is the best device out there for listening to music on, I don't know enough about video playing gadgets etc. I'd probably think Bard would have the most experience with PMP's out of the lot of us considering he works with them. He is also a mod already so knows the craic. Anyway, I don't think a Mod is all that important in such a forum. We could finally have stickies to point people to about iRiver -VS- iPod etc:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I wouldn't mind doing the job, but I'd reckon Bard possibly has more knowhow than me. HN's would shift and stock higher quantities and a wider range than my workplace I'd say.

How about the Portable Media forum being a sub forum of Gadgets?

Advertisement