Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Draw

• 16-12-2005 8:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

BBC wrote:
    Four British teams face an anxious wait to see who they play in the last 16 of the Champions League.

The draw will take place at Uefa headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland, on Friday 16 December at 1100 GMT.

Defending champions Liverpool and Arsenal are in the first pot of teams having won their groups, and cannot meet Chelsea in the next round.

Britain's fourth representative, Rangers, came second in their group and could face either Liverpool or Arsenal.

Group winners
    AC Milan
    Arsenal
    Barcelona
    Inter Milan
    Juventus
    Liverpool
    Lyon
    Villarreal

Group runners-up
    Ajax
    Bayern Munich
    Benfica
    Chelsea
    PSV Eindhoven
    Rangers
    Real Madrid
    Werder Bremen

Draw conditions:

# Teams from the same national association cannot be drawn together.

# Liverpool have no 'country protection' because of the special circumstances of their entry into the competition, but cannot face Chelsea (same group) or Arsenal (group winners like Liverpool).

# The winners and runners-up of the same group cannot be drawn together.

# Group winners will be kept apart in the draw.

# Group runners-up will play the first leg of the two-legged knock-out ties at home, giving the group winners the perceived advantage of playing at home in the second leg.

British teams:

Arsenal
    Could face: Bayern Munich, Benfica, PSV Eindhoven, Rangers, Real Madrid or Werder Bremen

The Gunners eased through the group stages of the Champions League but could still face some big names in the second round.

Real Madrid are potential opponents and there is the prospect of a repeat against Bayern Munich, who knocked out the Londoners at this stage 12 months ago.

Chelsea

Could face: AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus, Lyon or Villarreal.

The Blues were runners-up to Liverpool in the group stages of the Champions League, and could face any of the other group winners, bar Arsenal, in the last 16.

This includes Italian giants Juventus, AC Milan and Inter Milan, as well as Spanish heavyweights Barcelona, who they met in an acrimonious two-legged tie in the last 16 last season.

Liverpool
    Could face: Ajax, Bayern Munich, Benfica, PSV Eindhoven, Rangers, Real Madrid or Werder Bremen

Teams from the same national association cannot be drawn together in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Despite Liverpool having no such protection because of the special circumstances of their entry into the competition, they cannot face Chelsea, who were in the same group, or fellow group-winners Arsenal.

Rangers
    Could face: AC Milan, Arsenal, Barcelona, Juventus, Liverpool, Lyon or Villarreal.

Rangers became the first Scottish club to qualify from the group stages of the Champions League with their brave 1-1 draw against Inter Milan.

The result helped Alex McLeish hang on to his job at the Ibrox helm, but second spot behind Inter means they could pick one of Europe's biggest names out of the hat.

Past winners
    Among the eight group winners and eight runners-up are holders Liverpool FC and the team they overcame in last season's final, AC Milan. Alongside those two sides, respectively the third and second most successful in this competition, are Real Madrid CF, who stand alone with nine triumphs.

Eight countries

Eight countries are represented, with all three Italian clubs among the top seeds. England and Spain also have three teams in contention, while Germany and the Netherlands have two each among the second seeds. Meanwhile, Olympique Lyonnais, SL Benfica and Rangers FC are the sole challengers from their respective leagues.

Villarreal record

Villarreal CF are negotiating their first UEFA Champions League campaign, and have already made history. Their 1-0 Matchday 6 victory against LOSC Lille Métropole saw them qualify as group winners despite scoring only three goals in six games - a record low for a team topping a pool. Group D, from which Benfica also advanced, featured only 12 goals in as many fixtures - another record low.

Past finals
    The eight winners of the group stage sections will be drawn against runners-up, although clubs from the same association cannot be paired together. Liverpool do not have country protection yet cannot be pitted against the only English side among the second seeds, Chelsea FC, as they met in the group stage. The draw could produce a repeat of 13 former European Cup finals, including Real Madrid-Milan from 1958 and, most recently from 1998, the Spanish giants against Juventus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i have a feeling in me waters that liverpool will get one of real madrid, bayern munich or rangers but the gut feeling is madrid. Bring emm on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Liverpool v Rangers and Chelsea v Barcelona please Mr Blatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is this being televised?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I can see us taking PSV Eindhoven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

You can usually watch live on uefa.com I think. Failing that maybe SkySports news have it, I'm not too sure.

• Advertisement

sinecurea wrote:
    I can see us taking PSV Eindhoven.

I doubt it - that's who they got in yesterday's rehersal draw.

Surely each team has an equal chance of being drawn (1-in-6 or 1-in-7) against any other team? I never quite understand people "having feelings" about who is coming out to be paired with whom, surely its nothing more than random guesswork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

would fancy benfica myself...

Chelsea V Barcelona

ouch

Chelsea - Barca!
    Real - Arsenal!
    Bremen - Juventus
    Bayern - Milan
    PSV - Lyon
    Ajax - Inter
    Benfica - Liverpool
    Rangers - Villarreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Guardian have a live texty thing for the draw

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1669001,00.html

Real Madrid V Arsenal

wow

Werder Bremen V Juventus

Bayern Munich V AC Milan

another good match

PSV Eindhoven V Lyon

Ajax V Inter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Liverpool Vs Benfica

Benfica V Liverpool

yes! delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Liverpool (The Champions) draw Benfica
    Barcelona draw Chelsea lol
    Inter Milan draw Ajax
    Juventus draw Werder Bremen
    Lyon draw PSV Eindhoven
    Villarreal draw Rangers
    Arse draw Real Madrid
    AC Milan draw Bayern Munich

GO on you good things.

which means Rangers V Villareal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Benfica V Liverpool

yes! delicious!
    Bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Some smashing games there !!! Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Handy one for the pool, Chelsea and Barca and Real Madrid and Arsenal are 2 class games.

Some cracking ties in prospect!

Barcelona-Chelsea, Real-Arsenal and AC Milan-Munich, to name but three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I bet Mourinho is livid, had they topped their group, they would have drawn Benfica rather than Barca :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

irish1 wrote:
    Handy one for the pool, Chelsea and Barca and Real Madrid and Arsenal are 2 class games.

Arsenal Vs Real is certainly the tie of the round IMO. Both teams are smewhat shakey, but when they play well, they both really play fantastic football.

Chelsea - Barca, if this is anything like last years games, I cant wait.

Inter Vs Ajax sticks out as a nice one as well.

AC Vs Bayern comes close to being the tie of the round.

Pity Lyon and PSV drew each other so early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I'm increasing my stake on Juve.

Pleased with Liverpool's draw to be honest. No games are a pushover at this stage, but I'd expect them to be in the hat for the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Bastards!
    Barcelona draw Chelsea lol
    I predict:

Chelsea draw Barcalona - Cant predict that but will have to swing it Chelsea's way for allegiance sake
    Inter Milan draw Ajax - Inter
    Juventus draw Werder Bremen - Juve
    Lyon draw PSV Eindhoven - Lyon
    Villarreal draw Rangers - Villarreal
    Liverpool draw Benfica - Liverpool
    Arsenal draw Real Madrid - Madrid (Will be a fansatic game though)
    AC Milan draw Bayern Munich - Bayern (Milan are kak a this year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Who did United get? They always get an easy draw ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nice one Jivin LMAO. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Who did United get? They always get an easy draw ;)
    The inter toto draw is not on until 12!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Chelsea draw Barcalona - Chelsea to win, Barca are poor in defence still
    Inter Milan draw Ajax - Inter should do this easy enough
    Juventus draw Werder Bremen - Juve, easy enough for them
    Lyon draw PSV Eindhoven - Lyon
    Villarreal draw Rangers - Villarreal, bye bye McLeish
    Liverpool draw Benfica - Liverpool, easiest draw bar Rangers
    Arsenal draw Real Madrid - Arsenal if Henry can shine which I think he will
    AC Milan draw Bayern Munich - AC to scrape it on penos or something

It would have been Liverpool and United if they had gone through.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Chelsea have essien banned for the 2 barca games as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

lads liverpool 14 - 1 to win the champions league!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

lads liverpool 14 - 1 to win the champions league!
    I have a few bob with slightly better odds that this.
    Put a good few on last year at 16-1 (just before Juve games) and think they have a damn good chance again. They way they play in Europe can beat any team... if they keep their form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It would have been Liverpool and United if they had gone through.......
    No it wouldn't, teams from the same country can't draw each other in the first knock-out stage.

Some great ties there, Chelsea vs. Barca last season at Stamford Bridge was probably the game of the campaign. And Madrid vs. Arsenal, what a tie in prospect!

And who said topping the group didn't matter.....Liverpool get Benfica, and Chelsea get Barca. Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Chelsea V barca , i cant wait for this one!! Arsenal real aint bad either!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

No it wouldn't, teams from the same country can't draw each other in the first knock-out stage.

Some great ties there, Chelsea vs. Barca last season at Stamford Bridge was probably the game of the campaign. And Madrid vs. Arsenal, what a tie in prospect!

And who said topping the group didn't matter.....Liverpool get Benfica, and Chelsea get Barca. Looking forward to it.

They could have as Liverpool have no country protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Liverpool dont have country protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Davei141 wrote:
    Liverpool dont have country protection.
    Ooh yeah, my mistake. Completely forgot that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yep, it woulda been United and Liverpool, that woulda been fun.

Liverpool have a fairly easy enough draw, I'd be suprised if they didn't win it, that said I think Benfica are better than they are made out to be, and while United played badly against them in the second leg, they played quitewell in the first and only scored in the last minute.
    No walkover, but if Gerrard is on form Benfica have no chance.

Chelsea vs. Barca is why I think this draw should be seeded more :)
    That is sucha ****ty tie, I wanted to see Barca and Chelsea play a bit more on the european stage, not one of them get knocked out.
    I expect Barca to beat them this time, as they should be able to deal with Chelseas tactics that little bit more.

Arsenal vs. Real Madrid.
    I actually think this is the best draw that Arsenal could have hoped for.
    Once they play a team that plays football aswell, Arsenal are unreal. Also Henry will want to preform in front of the Real Madrid team cause em...... :)

All in all, I think Arsenal have the best chance of going through, only by a tiny bit, following very closely by Liverpool, and then Chelsea last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Ooh yeah, my mistake. Completely forgot that.

....sake dont let it happen again.

The Chelsea Barcelona match is going to be important for the whole competition. Its essentially pairing the first and second favourites to win against each other. As a Liverpool fan I'd like to see Chelsea knocked out, for a number of reasons. Obviously I hate José Mourinho and would enjoy revelling in his defeat. Secondly if Liverpool ended up playing one of these teams later in the tournament - I'd fancy our chances better against Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Out of the 4 teams in the United group, I thought Benfica were the best with the ball, but the worst defensively. They pass it around very well and have plenty of flair. They might lack a little cutting edge.

Liverpool favourites, but not a gimme.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Some really excellent draws there. Im delighted with Lyons draw as I have a few quid on them to win the trophy. I think that, although Barcelonas defence isnt up to much, they will beat Chelsea this year. They have been in fantastic form all season and will just edge them out imo. As for Real and Arsenal I expect Arsenal to come through this. They have a far better defence than Madrid have and I think will tell in the end. I think Henry will be a big factor though and he will have to perform well.

AC Milan and Bayern is another cracking tie. It should be very close but Milan have looked shakey all season and their defence has been particularily poor which is very strange for Milan. I think Bayern will just edge this one. Villareal willl be too strong for Rangers but its probably one of the best draws they could have hoped for. Inter and Ajax I expect Inter to coe through fairly easily.

Excellent draw for Liverpool but I think many people are underestimating Benfica. They are an excellent footballing side who will cause any team problems. They tend not to be too great on the road so I think the Anfield game will be vitally important. Wont be as easy as people are making it out that is for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yep, and they have the tough part sorted.
    Now they have 2 months to deal with Liverpool defensivly, and Liverpools strength isn't in their attack.
    Also Benfica won't come out to beat them, they'll play it cool, so its gona be an interesting game.

--

I would have thought, goign by current league form, that Juve and Chelsea would be favorites, with Barca close behind. Barca being on a similar points total to Man Utd and Liverpool btw :) But thats really irrelevent, just pointing out, Juve have the best league record of anyone this season, and are certinaly the favorites for a lot of people.
    Just incase you dont know, a midfield of
    Vieira - Emerson - Nedved

What more could you want

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Arsenal V Real...

BRING IT ON MOTHER ****ERS!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I wonder what are the chances of Liverpool signing Simao in the january transfer window now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Have these ties been paired up to determine the quaterfinal games or is it still and open draw for that?

BTW, I think Chelsea will beat Barca again

• Advertisement
Advertisement