Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Draw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pigman II wrote:
    Have these ties been paired up to determine the quaterfinal games or is it still and open draw for that?

BTW, I think Chelsea will beat Barca again

No, that's still open. They'll draw the quarter's and semi's at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

I have a feeling that Barca will take Chelsea this time. I hope they do as they are a joy to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I too feel Barca will edge it this time, they'll be out for blood after last season's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Great draw for Liverpool, delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I wonder what are the chances of Liverpool signing Simao in the january transfer window now???
    Oh yeah, s**t! We badly need a right winger. That Chilean guy who couldn't get his permit is another lefty. Although Simao hasn't exactly been on electric form in the Champs Lg and he's cup tied, so maybe there's a chance.
    No, that's still open. They'll draw the quarter's and semi's at the same time.
    Cheers, I was wondering about that. Kinda keeps the excitement of the unknown in the competition.

I was up for Barca last year and will support them again. Not out of spite but as a football fan. I'd rather pick a team which plays the most beautiful unstoppable attacking football over a rigid defensive minded team that relies on Drogba to bully his way to the goal net.

Overall, I don't mind the juicy ties coming early in the competition as the underdogs have been winning the trophies lately (well in cup comps). So Arsenal beating Real doesn't mean Rangers won't win the champs league, if you get my drift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Tusky wrote:
    Great draw for Liverpool, delighted!
    Yup, I agree. Not a walkover at all but we shouldn't be intimidated by Portugese opposition. Long way to go until February is it? so hopefully we'll hold it together til then and still be up around the top four in the Premier :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

IS it that the winner of draw x will play the winner of draw y ?

If so, and Liverpool go through, which two teams might they face in the semis ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

cregser wrote:
    Oh yeah, s**t! We badly need a right winger. That Chilean guy who couldn't get his permit is another lefty. Although Simao hasn't exactly been on electric form in the Champs Lg and he's cup tied, so maybe there's a chance.
    Think he's injured too - not sure for how long though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Liverpool vs Benfica
    Not the easiest tie for Liverpool, despite what some people may think. However, they will have more than enough over two legs to see themselves through.

Barcelona vs Chelsea
    Tie of the round. Last years games between these sides were spectacular, and I'm expecting a repeat. Barca to avenge last year's defeat.......but perhaps on penalties. </covers own butt>

Inter Milan vs Ajax
    Inter are through to the Quarter Finals.

Juventus vs Werder Bremen
    So are Juve. They will be too much of a handful for Werder in Turin, and I expect Juve to score in Bremen. That will be enough to take them through.

Lyon vs PSV Eindhoven
    A repeat of last year's Quarter Final. Lyon are in terrific form this year and will be looking for revenge against a PSV side that, while still a technically excellent side, aren't as strong as they were last year.

Villarreal vs Rangers
    Villareal will defeat Rangers handily enough......provided that they learn where the opposition goal is.

Arsenal vs Real Madrid
    Another mouth watering tie. Arsenal, while still a period of transition, still look stronger than Real at the moment. Arsenal to get through this by an odd goal.

AC Milan vs Bayern Munich
    Let's face it: Milan have nothing to play for in Serie A anymore. That means that they can fully concentrate on Europe. Blessing in disguise? My personal match of the round, Bayern shade this on recent form. Milan need to sort out their defensive woes now. Otherwise, Bayern will always be that one goal ahead. I tip Milan to squeak this one, but only if they play as well as we know they can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Tusky wrote:
    IS it that the winner of draw x will play the winner of draw y ?

If so, and Liverpool go through, which two teams might they face in the semis ?

No its an open draw so anyone can get anyone as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

p.pete wrote:
    Yup, I agree. Not a walkover at all but we shouldn't be intimidated by Portugese opposition. Long way to go until February is it? so hopefully we'll hold it together til then and still be up around the top four in the Premier :)
    Given Liverpool's history of constantly changing form (from first half to second half, nevermind game-to-game), I won't get too excited about the draw. So far this year 'Pool have lost to such illustrious teams as CSKA Sofia, Fulham, and Crystal Palace.

Remember the injuries that started to happen this time last year? The team has 4 games in 8 days over christmas. If Hyypia or Carragher pick up a knock, our season is royally screwed. That said, hopefully Benitez will sign a few good spaniards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

:D:D lol class draw. Can't wait to see Barca-Chelsea. Probably the 2 best teams in Europe. Looks like cup runs again for Lyon and Liverpool. Obviously they'll show Arsenal and Cheslea losing on different nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

When are the ties being played? {edit} Just got it from BBC 21/22 February and 7/8 March{/edit}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

:D:D lol class draw. Can't wait to see Barca-Chelsea. Probably the 2 best teams in Europe. Looks like cup runs again for Lyon and Liverpool. Obviously(edit:hopefully) they'll show Arsenal and Cheslea losing on different nights

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Hobart wrote:
    When are the ties being played?

February sometime. Not sure of the exact dates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

no real surprise at getting Barcelona, oh well probably the easiest team we could have got , we've already scored 7 times against them in 2 games :-)

bring it on.

then I want another crack at Liverpool or Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool should walk it - really. Arsenal, well I would'nt bet the house. Henry and the first choice back line need to be present, Barca to beat Chelsea.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

I can see Barca playing like fiends alright, I'm going for them to win. The defence is not as suspect as you may think, not world class yes (does Van Bronkhorst ever actually stay at left back? Against Real I saw him all over the pitch, right midfield, left foward, never left back though) but Puyol and Marquez are fair handy. They've the second best defensive record in La Liga at the moment with 13 goals conceded in 15. Also, Ronaldinho.
    This Season 

Competition               Team              Apps   Start  Goals   Yellow Cards  Red
    Primera Divisi&#243;n          FC Barcelona     14     14       11       3
    Champions League          FC Barcelona      5      5        5 
    WC Qualifiers             Brazil           11    11         4        3

Second leg being in Camp Nou will help.

I've a feeling in my waters Juventus won't win it, but I honestly can't think of a reason why. Capello is absurdly competent as we all know, and he's got the current Juve team functioning spectacularly, it's like something out of Footie Manager:

Mark loevs stats
    Pos Team       Pld  W  D  L   F  A  Diff Pts 
    1    Juventus   15  14  0  1  35  8   27  42  
    2    Inter      15  10  2  3  28  13  15  32  
    3    Fiorentina 15  10  2  3  30  16  14  32  
    4    Milan      15  10  1  4  32  18  14  31 

They've no problem with scoring goals, with even their sub strikers scoring regular (as is so terribly useful and hard to get, eh Sheringham and Solksjaer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Real to beat Arsenal. Some great matches in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I could see Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelski all going through.

Hopefully Chelsea win it. As a Blackburn supporter I'd love to see Damien Duff get a CL winners medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

all the ties seem to be equally balanced. great draw for the neutrals(ie united fans!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Lemlin wrote:
    I could see Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelski all going through.

Hopefully Chelsea win it. As a Blackburn supporter I'd love to see Damien Duff get a CL winners medal.
    I'd have you'd want Duff to get it seeing as he's a current Irish international rather than the fact he used to play for Blackburn. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Revenge is a dish best served cold as they say.
    Barca to beat Chelsea in the Bridge and Camp Nou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Liverpool vs Benfica
    Despite what many are suggesting I dont believe this to be quite the walkover it is precieved to be, Liverpool win tie but not by a huge margin.

Barcelona vs Chelsea
    Barcelona to win this, call it a gut feeling but I am strongly of the opnion that Barca will have their revenge this year.

Inter Milan vs Ajax
    Inter through no problems.

Juventus will brush Werder aside, my favourites to win this year.

Lyon vs PSV Eindhoven
    Very close game, Lyon to just about edge out PSV

Villarreal vs Rangers
    Villareal easy.

Arsenal vs Real Madrid
    Arsenal, once again gut feeling.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'd have you'd want Duff to get it seeing as he's a current Irish international rather than the fact he used to play for Blackburn. :)

I didn't want to state the obvious, its nice to see any Irish player win something. I have a particular fondness for Duff though because of the loyal service he gave to Blackburn. He easily could of moved on when he was having the shins kicked off him in the First Division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Makaveli wrote:
    Revenge is a dish best served cold as they say.
    Barca to beat Chelsea in the Bridge and Camp Nou.
    I would have thought it would have been a close tie anyway, personally I would have tipped Chelsea to shade it.

Without Xavi, I definitely feel Chelsea will progress over the two legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hopefully Barcelona & Villareal stuff Chelsea & Rangers. Not too bothered about the rest of the ties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Surely it would be great for the morale of Glasgow/Scottish teams for Rangers to go through???

All facetiousness and hostilities aside, if Rangers were to go through, it could only be of benefit to Seltic, considering they will most likely win the SPL this season, and need a decent seeding for next seasons CL?

And yes, it would be great to see Barca stuff Chelsea. Good football will be the winner there.

I would have thought it would have been a close tie anyway, personally I would have tipped Chelsea to shade it.

Without Xavi, I definitely feel Chelsea will progress over the two legs.

Xavi is a huge loss but it's not as if Barca are short of good midfielders and they are interchangable on the pitch. Messi can drop back into Deco's position and Deco can play in Xavi's role. Iniesta can come in as a straight replacement for Xavi and Van Bommell is there too.

I'd be more worried if Marquez or Puyol were missing to be honest.

Makaveli wrote:
    Xavi is a huge loss but it's not as if Barca are short of good midfielders and they are interchangable on the pitch. Messi can drop back into Deco's position and Deco can play in Xavi's role. Iniesta can come in as a straight replacement for Xavi and Van Bommell is there too.
    While I'm sure Deco could play in Xavi's role, I would question his ability to play it to the level that Xavi can, he is far too lightweight. Van Bommell is a very good player but lacks the craft that Xavi has.

To put it mildly Xavi is a massive loss for Barca, and a player that cannot just be replaced by anyone. His absence will have a huge bearing on the game.
    Makaveli wrote:
    I'd be more worried if Marquez or Puyol were missing to be honest.
    I would be too. That's the difference between the two sides and why I think that Chelsea will progress. Barcelona have an amazing first XI. Take two or three players out of the equation (one is already missing!) and they will struggle against far worse sides than Chelsea.

For all the talk about "if Chelsea lost Lampard or Terry", the reality of it is, there is world class players waiting in the wings to replace them.

I've already put €100 on Chelsea to go through here, I feel very confident.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I reckon Barca will do Chelsea this time, though my distain for the incredible arrogance of some Chelsea fans may be clouding my judgement on this one.

Real is a great draw for Arsenal, not sure who will win it though. February is a long way away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

gimmick wrote:
    ^ Surely it would be great for the morale of Glasgow/Scottish teams for Rangers to go through???

All facetiousness and hostilities aside, if Rangers were to go through, it could only be of benefit to Seltic, considering they will most likely win the SPL this season, and need a decent seeding for next seasons CL?

And yes, it would be great to see Barca stuff Chelsea. Good football will be the winner there.

Obviously there is the rivalry element coming into play and you quite rightly say that Rangers progressing would be a good thing for the SPL in Europe. On the flip side, I support Villareal after the fantastic 3 day trip I had there 19 months ago for the UEFA Cup QFs. You could not meet a nicer bunch and they were a fantastic ambassador for football.

http://www.celticsubmari.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Liverpool vs Benfica
    Liverpool
    Apart from Barcelona & Juventus, I don't think any other team left would be strong enough for Liverpool. I honestly think the rest were all glad to avoid them.

Barcelona vs Chelsea
    Barcelona

Inter Milan vs Ajax
    Inter

Juventus

Lyon vs PSV Eindhoven
    Sittin on the fence here

Villarreal vs Rangers
    Villareal

Arsenal vs Real Madrid
    Real Madrid

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
    Liverpool
    Apart from Barcelona & Juventus, I don't think any other team left would be strong enough for Liverpool. I honestly think the rest were all glad to avoid them.

Do you honestly think that the likes of Chelsea and Bayern Munich are running scared of Liverpool? European champions or not.

AC Milan would love another crack at them to put right Istanbul too I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Glad to avoid and scared are 2 different things, but i agree lex is going over board, there is plenty of quality teams left besides barca and juve.

And in current form, i wouldnt mind another crack at AC too ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

While I'm sure Deco could play in Xavi's role, I would question his ability to play it to the level that Xavi can, he is far too lightweight.

I've already put €100 on Chelsea to go through here, I feel very confident.

Even I'm not confident enough to stick a ton on that Jivin !!

Deco, hopefully, will get his diving ass sent off in poetic justice for the dismissal of Drogba last season.

Just hope UEFA don't wheel Frisk out of retirement to ensure the *correct* result this time. Though perhaps all those alledged death threats will keep him at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lemlin wrote:
    Do you honestly think that the likes of Chelsea and Bayern Munich are running scared of Liverpool? European champions or not.
    Chelsea do not want to meet Liverppol again in the CL cos they know they probably don't have a chance to advance past them.
    And I don't think Bayern have the quality to beat them either.
    Lemlin wrote:
    AC Milan would love another crack at them to put right Istanbul too I'd imagine.
    I'm sure they would like another crack at them but I think Liverppols performances last year in the CL and their current form, make them a team that everyone wants to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm sure they would like another crack at them but I think Liverppols performances last year in the CL and their current form, make them a team that everyone wants to avoid.

I think you assume too much.
    Nobody is doubting Liverpools ability, but many doubt their consistancy, and many would look to the first half of that final, and see that it might not be too bad to get Liverpool.

I think Chelsea, Juve, Barca, AC Milan are the teams people want to avoid most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think Chelsea given the choice would rather face Liverpool than Barca at this stage of the comp. It will be interesting to see how Liverpool fare against Benfica. I think that will be a very close call.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    I think you assume too much.
    Nobody is doubting Liverpools ability, but many doubt their consistancy
    This is the team that have not conceded a goal in how many maches? How many times have they been beaten in Europe this season? And, up until midweek, the most consistant team in the PL, based on the last 6 matches? What consistency issues to you think they have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why won't some here give Liverpool an honest assesment?

They have'nt lost a game since Crystal Palace on Oct 25th fer petes sake. The Reds have won 9 and drawn 2 games since. They are averaging 2 points a game and nearly 2 goals scored a game and 0.3 goals conceeded a game in all competiton.

Mike.

The Muppet wrote:
    I think Chelsea given the choice would rather face Liverpool
    I would agree, purely based on the fact that they had such a good game against them in the league.
    It will be interesting to see how Liverpool fare against Benfica. I think that will be a very close call.
    I don't think so. I think Liverpool have more than enough 'Game' to overhall Benfica.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd definately fancy Arsenal to get past Madrid, but by feb, their new coach will have settled in, and who knows, actually be the right man for the job.
    It's really hard to call some ties, considering how much football can change in 2 months.
    If Chelsea vs. Barca wasn't already a great tie, the extra baggage it's bringing has made it even more interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Cant wait for the Arsenal Vs Real game. This is a tie I wanted. 2 teams that love to attack. Plenty of goals and Arsenal get a chance to show that "The Beast" should have gone to a proper club :)

growler wrote:

Deco, hopefully, will get his diving ass sent off in poetic justice for the dismissal of Drogba last season.

Just hope UEFA don't wheel Frisk out of retirement to ensure the *correct* result this time. Though perhaps all those alledged death threats will keep him at home.

Let's hope Carvalho decides to pull a Barca player down in Chelsea's box and Barca tuck away the peno to see them through, you know to make up for him holding Victor Valdes back giving Terry an almost open goal to score into.

Jivin' you may be confident but I'm just as confident that Barca will beat Chelsea. Xavi may be out but imo Barca are still the stronger team and with the second leg in the Camp Nou I don't fancy Chelsea's chances at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

is rafa benitez tactically beatable over 2 legs? ...genuine question :)

wasnt even beatable over 2 halfs in last years final.

he must be on one hell of a run by now in european knockout football

growler wrote:
    It was just a bet I put on with a mate from work who thinks Barcelona are the Gods of football. I've taken plenty of money off him before, including a similar sum when the two teams met last year. ;)

As regards the match, I just feel there is too many weak links in the Barcelona team, and not enough depth should injuries come their way. In comparison to Chelsea where there are genuinely pretty much two quality players for every position with tonnes of experience, unlike Barca's side.

Barcelona havn't won a CL knockout tie in four years (and even that was against the mighty Panathonaikos!), I expect that trend to continue.

You seem to underestimate the depth and size of Barca's squad, and to say they lack experience is a bit odd too.

As to you mentioning not winning a knockout game in four years. They weren't in the CL in 03/04. 02/03 was the old two group system, granted they were beaten by Juve after extra time. They beat Panathinaikos in the quarters in 01/02 that was the last one as you say.

The most important thing being neglected by these stats is that the team is a lot better now than it was last season or the season before.

Makaveli wrote:
    You seem to underestimate the depth and size of Barca's squad, and to say they lack experience is a bit odd too.
    I've looked at Barcelona's squad at it doesn't nearly have the depth of Chelsea's. They will definitely be missing one of their most influential players for the tie.

I've seen you lament some of their players before (e.g. Edmilson) who are in the first team squad, Chelsea on the other hand don't have any individually weak players.

As regards experience, very few of the Barcelona team have a lot of experience of the latter stages of the CL. In comparison to Chelsea were most of the squad has reached the semis at least twice, a couple four or five times.
    Makaveli wrote:
    As to you mentioning not winning a knockout game in four years. They weren't in the CL in 03/04. 02/03 was the old two group system, granted they were beaten by Juve after extra time. They beat Panathinaikos in the quarters in 01/02 that was the last one as you say.
    Yes, they havn't won a knockout CL tie in four seasons.
    Makaveli wrote:
    The most important thing being neglected by these stats is that the team is a lot better now than it was last season or the season before.
    As is Chelsea's. Chelsea have also added £50M worth of talent to their side, as well as the returning Crespo. Who have Barcelona signed? Granted they have a couple of players back from long term injuries.

I definitely Chelsea have become stronger than last year relative to Barcelona, just look at the league table.

It's by no means a forgone conclusion, and it should be a cracking tie, but I think peoples dislike for Chelsea is clouding their judgment about how should be the favourites for this game.

Originally posted by Lex LuthorChelsea do not want to meet Liverppol again in the CL cos they know they probably don't have a chance to advance past them.

Yes, I can see Mourinho really fearing a team that his side demolished 4-1 in the league earlier this season. I honestly believe Mourinho has those lads believing that they are better than anything on this planet, you can tell it from his own arrogance. Chelsea believe they can beat anyone.

Originally posted by Lex Luthor

Have a look at the form of Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern and Chelsea though. Chelsea have beaten twice in 55 league games since the start of last year, and currently top the league by 9 points. Juventus have lost one game out of 16 in the Italian league and are top by eight points. Bayern have lost one out of 17 in Germany and are top by six points. Barca only top their league by 2 points but have only been beaten once in 16 games.

Those statistics show that alot of top clubs are having just as good a run as Liverpool's.

Originally posted by Mike65
    Why won't some here give Liverpool an honest assesment?

They have'nt lost a game since Crystal Palace on Oct 25th fer petes sake. The Reds have won 9 and drawn 2 games since. They are averaging 2 points a game and nearly 2 goals scored a game and 0.3 goals conceeded a game in all competiton.

Mike.

I think everyone agrees that Liverpool have been great of late but the fact is that Chelsea have raised the bar, not just in terms of transfer fees but the quality in the league. Liverpool may have had this magnificent run but they are still 15 points behind Chelsea in the league, albeit with two games in hand.

Originally posted by Hobart
    This is the team that have not conceded a goal in how many maches? How many times have they been beaten in Europe this season? And, up until midweek, the most consistant team in the PL, based on the last 6 matches? What consistency issues to you think they have?

Haha, this point is gas. My consistency issue would be that you have to base it on the last 6 matches. How about you base it on the last 15 matches, at which point you'll find what I have stated above - Chelsea lead Liverpool by 15 points (which may later be reduced to nine due to two games in hand). Nine points is still a considerable gap for a team you call the most consistent in the league. Sure if we base it on the last two matches, its Man Utd, they've won one 4-0 and another 2-0. See my point?

• Advertisement
Advertisement