Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Draw

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Have a look at the form of Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern and Chelsea though. Chelsea have beaten twice in 55 league games since the start of last year, and currently top the league by 9 points. Juventus have lost one game out of 16 in the Italian league and are top by eight points. Bayern have lost one out of 17 in Germany and are top by six points. Barca only top their league by 2 points but have only been beaten once in 16 games.

Those statistics show that alot of top clubs are having just as good a run as Liverpool's.

nobody was afraid of liverpool last year and they went and won it...

if they could win it with the team they had last year, then they have a great chance of retaining it. it will take something special to beat liverpool over 2 legs imo.

liverpool should be as feared in the champions league as juve and ac milan.

the german league isnt up to much and the top teams in spain arent exactly on top form either so bayern and barca are 2 very beatable teams in my eyes.

barca are facing an up hill task to beat chelsea tbh and i'm a big barca fan.

Liverpool
    AC Milan
    Chelsea
    Juve

theres the teams to fear. EVERY team is beatable. but to beat those 4 teams in particular over 2 legs will be the measure of any of the other "favourates".

having said that, with the exception of ajax, psv and benfica i think any of the other teams still there are capable of winning it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Originally posted by el rabitos
    having said that, with the exception of ajax, psv and benfica i think any of the other teams still there are capable of winning it

I wouldn't discount anyone in the Champions League at this stage. After all, people said just what you have above about Liverpool last year and Porto the year before. The cup is there for anyone to take.
    nobody was afraid of liverpool last year and they went and won it...

I'm not saying people aren't afraid of Liverpool. I think some may be but I don't think that the likes of Barca, Chelsea and Juventus would want to avoid Liverpool any more than they'd wnat to avoid each other. That was why I disagreed with Lex Luthor's point. Juventus in particular have been in devastating form.

the german league isnt up to much and the top teams in spain arent exactly on top form either so bayern and barca are 2 very beatable teams in my eyes.

Bayern can only beat what's put in front of them. And two of the top teams in England, Man Utd and Arsenal, haven't exactly been on top form either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I'm sure they would like another crack at them but I think Liverppols performances last year in the CL and their current form, make them a team that everyone wants to avoid.

your joking right? I can actually list 4 teams that would certainly beat Liverpool if they remain as consistant as they have been since the start of the season.

Juventus
    Chelsea
    Bayern Munich
    Barcelona

the 4 above teams would certainly not be afraid of Liverpool!

Yes Liverpool won the CL last year congratulations but this is a new year you didnt see people touting Porto to win the next year after their triumph the year before, Liverpool are just not up to standard when compared to the likes of Juve,Chelsea,Bayern and Barcelona thats my opnion though and i'm sure a lot of Liverpool fans will flame me but one only has to look at Liverpools position in the premiership compared to the postions of the above listed teams in their own domestic leagues. all those teams are the best in their domestic leagues, Liverpool arent even in the top 2 of their own league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

el rabitos wrote:
    the top teams in spain arent exactly on top form either so bayern and barca are 2 very beatable teams in my eyes.

Barcelona have won a record 12 games in row in all competitions. In those 12 games they've scored 37 times and conceeded 5. They've lost once in 22 outings this season. They top the league, and have scored more goals than any other team in a top league that are in the CL (AZ in the Dutch league have scored more). Yeah, I'd love to draw a team on that form.

As for Bayern, they have the second best domestic record of any team in Europe at the moment. Only Chelsea are better (by 2 points).

Makaveli wrote:
    Barcelona have won a record 12 games in row in all competitions. In those 12 games they've scored 37 times and conceeded 5. They've lost once in 22 outings this season. They top the league, and have scored more goals than any other team in a top league that are in the CL (AZ in the Dutch league have scored more). Yeah, I'd love to draw a team on that form.

As for Bayern, they have the second best domestic record of any team in Europe at the moment. Only Chelsea are better (by 2 points).

That's exactly what I was pointing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Lemlin wrote:
    Haha, this point is gas. My consistency issue would be that you have to base it on the last 6 matches. How about you base it on the last 15 matches, at which point you'll find what I have stated above - Chelsea lead Liverpool by 15 points (which may later be reduced to nine due to two games in hand). Nine points is still a considerable gap for a team you call the most consistent in the league. Sure if we base it on the last two matches, its Man Utd, they've won one 4-0 and another 2-0. See my point?
    Ha Ha is it? Do you actually know anything about stats? I used the last 6 games because it is the standard used on Sky and BBC to rate form. Have a look at www.opta.co.uk who supply BBC and Sky with all their stats on soccer. If you have a problem understanding the big numbers, send me a PM and I will explain them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

whats your point? the fact that barca are looking so impressive is because all of their rivals in spain are doing terrible, not one of the other top teams are in a good way right now. depor, betis, real, athletico, villareal....all of them are in a rut. barca are by far the most together team in the league, but their results in the league flatter their defence tbh

the german league isnt much better than the SPL, theres only ever 3 or 4 team capable of challenging for it, so what bayern do against german opposition doesnt impress me much, when it comes down to it i dont see them going past the quater finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

el rabitos wrote:

the german league isnt much better than the SPL, theres only ever 3 or 4 team capable of challenging for it

And this is different to the EPL how?

In any given year, I would say only 2-3 teams in the EPL have been challenging for the title.

Hobart wrote:
    Ha Ha is it? Do you actually know anything about stats? I used the last 6 games because it is the standard used on Sky and BBC to rate form. Have a look at www.opta.co.uk who supply BBC and Sky with all their stats on soccer. If you have a problem understanding the big numbers, send me a PM and I will explain them to you.

Oh right, so we should base everything on the last six games according to you. You really are a gas man. So winning their last six matches is going to win Liverpool the league is it? Cop yourself on. Being the most consistent over the last 6 games when you are a possible nine points behind doesn't matter. Chelsea have lost two games in 55 league matches. There's some realistic, meaningful statistics for you.

To have been in with a chance of winning the league, Liverpool would of needed to be performing from the first day of the season how they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

gimmick wrote:
    ^ Surely it would be great for the morale of Glasgow/Scottish teams for Rangers to go through???

All facetiousness and hostilities aside, if Rangers were to go through, it could only be of benefit to Seltic, considering they will most likely win the SPL this season, and need a decent seeding for next seasons CL?

And yes, it would be great to see Barca stuff Chelsea. Good football will be the winner there.
    Look at this thread for example:
    http://followfollow.proboards53.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1135101718

"Celtic being Celtic sucked up their arses something awful when they met in the Uefa. A CSC was formed as a result. Very sad but that's what Celtic do best.

Friendships with;

Shamrock Rovers, Cork, Shelbourne, AC, Inter, Betis, Villarreal, Bilbao, Barca, Madrid, Sporting, Benfica, Feyenoord, St. Pauli, Dortmund yada yada."

^^^ Rangers fans just do the opposite. Not in a million years would I cheer that club on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement