Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Office Christmas party... the stereotype...

• 16-12-2005 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

yes it happened, the same joke every last idiot makes about the office party, you wind up with someone you never really thought twice after so much drink has gone down.
    With me I guess it was partly a reaction to things that had happened with my gf (now an ex) only recently, but yesterday morning i woke up in the flat of a girl I work with after the office christmas meal and party.
    We'd always had a laugh together on smoke breaks etc but this is sooo bad. I'm not back in work till tuesday and now I just don;t know how I'm going to face her.... or my workmates for that matter. I guess a bit of slagging is in order but thing is she's a nice girl and was a good mate... the fool i am!!!
    Maybe I'm making a big deal of this, but I'm not the type to go on like this you know?
    Beware!! Retarded tv jokes carry a grain of truth!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Well, the slagging is soemthing you're jsut gonna have to put up with. But if you still like this girl as a friend, then don't ignore her when you see her. It's going to be horrifically embarassing for both of you, but it'll be worse if you act the eejit, she'll feel ten times as bad. You don't need to go into specifics about the night, or have any deep meaningfuls, just make sure you say hi and chat to her on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Aren't office parties great?!! :D

Relax, If ye're good mates then it shouldn't really make a difference. Same thing happened me a few years back and now we're better friends then ever! Actually it's her i turn to when I have a problem.

Send her a text or ring her. Just to say hi. Be yourself. She's probably thinking the same thing as you...

P.S. If you don't want it to happen again, then make sure she knows that. Don't drag things out, it'll just make things worse in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

might be slightly easier if you have some contact with her before you's see each other at work where everyone's round? even just to say hi, and clear the air :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Baldie wrote:
    Aren't office parties great?!! :D

Dunno. Ours was crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Richelieu

might be slightly easier if you have some contact with her before you's see each other at work where everyone's round? even just to say hi, and clear the air :)

That's a good idea actually. I'll text her this morning. I guess she's probably in just the same boat... No way I'd just give her the brush off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

yea the fact that you's are mates, pity let somethin like that wrech your freindship.. couple of yrs ago , was at christmas party, kissed workmate, (i was only 17...nothin more ;)) but for me that was awkwardn so we texted before being in work together, helped a lot, but yea the slaggin has to be indured...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 samanthacarter

Clear the air with her before going back to work.

The same scenario happens to a friend of mine and she was gutted when her work colleage did not want to take things further. She had feelings for him and was absolutely gobsmatched when he told her at work "sorry, it was just an one off , it will not have happen if I was sober"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Trick is to just carry on as normal and behave like nothing happened. Perhaps less people in the office will have noticed than you think, and even if they have, a lot of them won't make an issue of it. Did something similar myself during the year and never had any repercussions from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Richelieu wrote:
    i woke up in the flat of a girl I work with after the office christmas meal and party.
    And? Without going into the horrid details, did something romantic happen? If it didn't then so what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Richelieu

Victor wrote:
    And? Without going into the horrid details, did something romantic happen? If it didn't then so what?

yes something happened, but you'll excuse me if I'm attempting to be somehwhat discreet.

The fact is now; I texted her this morning and no reply. Hmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I hate to sound heartless, but I honest to goodness don't see what the problem is. What's wrong with going off with someone from work. You're single aren't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just wondering - did you just fall asleep after the party or did you actually give her 'a meat injection' ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Whats the big deal forget about it your both adults arent you?

I've just taken a weeks slagging at work after my xmas party last saturday. I tought it would be a good idea to turn up drunk because I wasent in work that day like everyone else and didnt slow down when i got there because of all the free drink :D needless to say it ended in tears, but mostly sick :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

dceire wrote:
    I tought it would be a good idea to turn up drunk

hahaha

nice and sensible :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I hate to sound heartless, but I honest to goodness don't see what the problem is. What's wrong with going off with someone from work. You're single aren't you?
    I agree, who cares what others think...the slagging will happen, but just don't react to it...the less you say back the quicker it will disappear. Also, the more they see you talking to her, the less they'll feel about slagging you.

Take it all with a pinch of salt....everybody has done it at some stage....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

Just be sure she knows you don't want to take it further and she agrees, and after that, if there is slagging, you can both laugh about it together, rather then it being a massive big deal and effecting your work from here on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. TBH, if you like her, ask for date number 2. Cinema, or something non-direct. Tell her to bring a friend if you think she'll say no. And if things go well, then if anyone slags you, you can brush it off. If things don't go smoothly, and someone slags you, ask what did they do afterwards?

Advertisement