Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting exercise

Options
  • 16-12-2005 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Would any parents like to try an interesting exercise? It's simple enough.

Get a packet of peas and a packet of beans, and put some into a little tin you can carry around.

Every time you say something *positive* to your child, put a bean in your pocket. (For instance: "You're helping me sort the socks? Good kid!"

Every time you say something *negative*, put a pea in your pocket. (For instance: "Stop that!")

Count them up at the end of a day and see what you've got.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Full pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

mushed peas in your pockets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Are you an American by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I actually think that's not a bad idea. It might help take stock of the kind of feedback you give your child in a more quantifiable way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would'nt use my pockets but the idea has merit, maybe keeping a tally on the
    blackboard in the kitchen over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hillybilly

What a fantastic idea. Dont' know about the peas and beans in the pocket, maybe two jars, or the board is a good idea. I've had advice from Luckat on potty training and it worked a treat. She seems to know what she's doing. It certainly gives pause for thought and I, for one, will be giving it a try to see how I rate.

Luckat, you are a parenting mentor, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Heh, wouldn't go that far! But thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Did anyone try it?

I like the beans and peas (dried, obviously!) because you actually get a very tangible idea of what you're doing.

It's not a particularly judgmental thing - just a check on what we're at with kids, or indeed other people, or even ourselves.

Advertisement