Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home date for Dunne

• 16-12-2005 1:20pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/12/16/story235373.html

IBC Super Bantamweight champion Bernard Dunne will kickstart the New Year with a January 28 date at Dublin's National Stadium.

The diminutive Dubliner, who chalked up his 18th straight pro win, flooring Romanian Marian Leondraliu in Leipzig last Saturday, is to fight an as yet unnamed opponent on his manager Brian Peters' bill.

Longford-born Englishman Michael Gomez and Galway's Peter McDonagh will also clash for the Irish Lightweight title on the National Stadium card.

Dunne, meanwhile, is expected to fight again in March, possibly on St Patrick's Day in Boston, before a shot at a prized European title in May.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

anybody else think he is fighting to much...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Dub13 wrote:
    anybody else think he is fighting to much...?

When your opposition isn't world class you can afford to fight regulary without too much danger , hopefully it will keep him in shape .

Interesting that Michael Gomez is fighting Peter McDonagh on the card , Gomez (Armstrong , which is his real surname) is a quality fighter when he's mentally right .Mcdonagh however isn't a great fighter and a win over Jon Honney is his best victory to date .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I'm looking forward to seeing Gomez on these shores, do you reckon the Irish crowd will get behind him???

Re: Bernard Dunne, I think he is a great boxer/fighter and can't wait to see him in action again.

Does anyone know when the tickets go on sale????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭derek23

Tickets are on sale with ticketmaster since friday....and you can also get them here...

Paddy Jennings on 086 3204899
    Carla @ the National Stadium on 087 2511772
    Harry Hawkins on 0044 7850 155945
    Stephen Haughian on 048 38347047
    and Kevin O' Hara on 0044 7729 266951

and the card so far is :

Featherweight Bernard Dunne v TBA (10rds)
    Lightweight Michael Gomez v Peter McDonagh (10rds)
    ~ Vacant Irish Lightweight Title ~
    Heavyweight Colin Kenna v TBA (8rds)
    Super Featherweight Kevin O'Hara v TBA (8rds)
    Light Welterweight Stephen Haughian v TBA (4rds)

I can't beleive TBA is fighting 4 times in a night , and is fighting all the way from Featherweight to Heavyweight :eek: .

I'll update the card as fights are announced/called off (hopefully none)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I wonder will Dunne's opponent be a 'stand in for a stand in for a stand in'?????...

walshb wrote:
    I wonder will Dunne's opponent be a 'stand in for a stand in for a stand in'?????...

God I hope not , it would be good if he could get a fight with Noel Wilders . Which was the fight that was planned when he beat Sean Hughes .

Beating Wilders would certainly get the attention of Michael Hunter .

Also beating the very limited Miguel Mallon would be a good move , Mallon is ranked #2 by the EBU and as soon as Dunne reliquishes his IBC title he would probably find himself the mandatory challenger after beating Mallon .

update Colin Kenna V Luke Simpkin . Shouldn't be too much trouble for Kenna , I predict a UD 8 .

Kenna is 14-2-2(7KO) while Simpkin is 8-23-3(7KO) .
    Kenna's only defeats have come at the hands of Michael Sprott and Mark Krence .

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/01/04/story237949.html

04/01/2006 - 18:40:36

Former IBO super-middleweight champion Brian Magee has been added to the bill of an exciting night of boxing at Dublin's National Stadium on January 28.

The Belfast Southpaw, who got his seven-year career back on track with a second round stoppage of Armenian Varuzhan Davtyan at the same venue in October, has been lined up for an eight-rounder against an as yet unnamed opponent.

Magee, 30, will be using the bout as a warm-up for his Kings Hall clash with British and Commonwealth champion Carl "The Cobra" Froch on March 31.

Promoter Brian Peters, whose protege Bernard Dunne will headline the January 28 bill, said: “Brian was one of the best amateurs to ever grace the ring at the National Stadium and I know he loved fighting there for the first time as a pro on my last show in October.

"He had an impressive stoppage win that night and he’ll be looking to do the same on this next show because he has a huge fight with Carl Froch on the horizon.”

An opponent for unbeaten Dubliner Dunne is due to be confirmed shortly.

The chief support bout on the night features a mouth-watering Irish lightweight title fight between Michael Gomez and Peter McDonagh. Dublin heavyweight Colin Kenna, Belfast featherweight Kevin O'Hara and Lurgan welterweight Stephen Haughian are also due for action.

Tickets - priced €50, €75 and €100 - are available from Ticketmaster, at www.ticketmaster.ie or over the telephone on 0818 719300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭derek23

Bernard Dunne V Noel Wilders

Should be a good test for Dunne

Read more here...

http://www.irish-boxing.com/january06/12_January_2006_Dunne.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Tickets are still available for the fight, strange

Thinking of going but at 75 euro......

updated card :
    Featherweight Bernard Dunne v Noel Wilders (10rds)
    Lightweight Michael Gomez v Peter McDonagh (10rds)
    (Vacant IrishLightweight Title)
    Heavyweight Colin Kenna v Luke Simpkin (8rds)
    Super Middleweight Brian Magee v Daniil Prakapsou (8rds)
    Welterweight John O'Donnell v TBA (6)
    Featherweight Andrew Wallace v TBA (4)
    Light Welterweight Stephen Haughian vDuncan Cottier (4rds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Decent bill in fairness

Dunne's fighting again in 2 weeks time (3rd of April) in Italy on this card
    www.boxrec.com/date_search.php?yyyy=2006&mm=04&dd=03

Opponent is unamed so far and with the fight only 2 weeks away they probably won't be great but Bernard is getting good experience from fighting in these different countries .

Michael Hunter is fighting German Guartos next month and after that he will most likely look for a return fight with Pickering , if that fight doesn't come off I expect Hunter to fight Dunne . If he does get a fight with Pickering and wins he will most likely either fight for a world title or fight Dunne . If Pickering wins , well then ive no idea .

Does anybody else think Dunne is fighting to much and may suffer burnout.

Too much??, sure I wouldn;t call the fights he's having exactly tough now. His last fight was an absolute joke, the guy was a blown up Fly. Dunne is 25 now so either he gets a move on or he'll never win anything of real merit. The lighter guys usually are finished by the mid to late 20s. It's the heavier weights that go on that bit longer.....

walshb wrote:
    Too much??, sure I wouldn't call the fights he's having exactly tough now. His last fight was an absolute joke, the guy was a blown up Fly. Dunne is 25 now so either he gets a move on or he'll never win anything of real merit. The lighter guys usually are finished by the mid to late 20s. It's the heavier weights that go on that bit longer.....

Wilders has been a Bantamweight all his career (not a Fly) , and he had faught at S.Bantamweight in his fight before this(a 75-78 8 round points loss to Esham Pickering) .

Wilders a fromer British , IBO and European champion was shot but he still held a good European ranking which would help boast Dunne up the EBU ratings .

Usually the guy that finish in the late 20's are the ones who started at lower weights and finnished up around bantamweight . S.Bantamweight is the lowest weight Dunne has been and he will probably be a S.Featherweight by the time of retirement . S.Feathers usually last early to mid 30's .

I can see why you want him to quicken his progress but I believe he will get a European shot this year . Should he win that he would have 2/3 defenses before getting a shot at a world title , yes I am getting ahead of myself but he could have a world title shot in two years time if everything goes perfect and for me that's right on course .

His opponent has been named :http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=065695

He seems more blown up then Wilders . He has faught at S.Fly(usually when fighting for a title) , Bantamweight (in most non title fights) and S.Bantamweight(and was 3lbs inside the limit) . His last S.Fly fight was 6 months ago . Only KO'ed once and to a very good fighter , who's a former WBO champ .

If this is an 8th round I predict a Ud for Dunne , if it's a 10 rounder I think he will get the stoppage . Not the best of opponents but at this late notice it's ok .

It was more a figure of speech. Maybe he was always a bantam but to the normal jo soap he looked well out of his league and if he was at 54kg, then he was 3kg to heavy im my opinion. He was no more than 5 ft 4 inches.

RTÉ showing Dunne fight aswell as Duddy and Moore's recent fights :http://www.irish-boxing.com/march06/22_March_2006_Dunne.htm

Advertisement