Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volkswagen Beetle Pre-Purchase Checks

Options
  • 16-12-2005 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭

I'm going to view a 1.6 VW Beetle next week with a friend of mine. It's an 02 or 03 year I think.

What are the main points I should be looking for?
    I know most of the usuals - FSH, ask if crashed, irregular panel colouring, etc. However are there any little ideosyncrasies this car has that I should either ask about or check for myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

From http://www.honestjohn.co.uk

What's Good
    Golf Mk IV-based and an instant cult car in the USA and Europe. Standard engine is updated 8-valve 2.0 litre from Golf III, which is pleasantly torquey and suits town work. TDI 90 engine available and 100 bhp 1.6 petrol. Four-Star performance in NCAP crash safety tests. As with Golf Mk IV, gaines serious roadholding and handlign improvements for 2002 model year. Also a 150bhp 1.8T and a 170bhp V5, which is a hoot to drive. 100bhp TDI PD diesel from early 2001 with a/c for £14,175. Low 143g/km CO2 output. Prices cut March 2002 to Beetle 1.6 102bhp: £11,750 OTR; Beetle 2.0 115bhp: £13,495 OTR. Convertible from Summer 2002 to give model a new lease of life, in UK from Spring 2003. Has automatic protection in the event of a rollover and VW says that the car has high torsional rigidity, all but eliminating the scuttle shake that afflicts so many soft-tops. Proper, snug, three layer hood with glass rear window. A new type of hydraulic operation ensures it can be raised or lowered in just 13 seconds. Engines will be the familiar 75bhp 1.4 16v, a 102bhp 1.6 16v or a 115bhp 2.0 8v. A 100bhp TDI PD 100 will come later. Joint top of 2002 Which reliability survey; came out 100% fault free. VWs generally had below average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 76.83 v/s lowest 31.93). Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

Facelifted for 2006 with revised range of engines starting with 1.4 Luna at £11,245 for the tin top and £13,995 for the cabrio.

Brief test VW Beetle V5 at www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=31

What's Bad
    No more than a Golf Mk IV in a beetle shell, which is nothing like as practical as that of the Golf. Very little room in the back seats. Small luggage capacity. UK prices started at £15,775 for LHD with a/c, alloys and a full spec including a bud vase. Strictly a fashion accessory 'fun' car. Difficult to park. Batch of 500 non air-conditioned 2.0 litre models dumped on UK market Summer 2001. Dull to drive before 2002 model year handling improvements. Enthusiasm seems to have switched to the MINI. All 1.8 20V turbos built from around August 2001 to October 2002 can suffer from failure of one or more of the four ignition coils, which lead to a dispute butween VAG and a supplier and asevere shortage of coils from November 2002 to January 2003. 1.8 20v timing belt drives waterpump and belts are difficult to replace on transverse engines. Plastic central handle to release cabtio top breaks off. on 2.0 8v, lambda probe can fail, engine malfunction light goes on and you need a tow to a dealer to get it replaced. Plastic timing belt tensioners of 1.6 16v engines now failing regularly, though fortunately the belts are rarely flung off when this happens.

2006 facelift still has old 2.0 litre 8v engine and old 150PS 1.8T.

What to Watch Out For
    Grey imports started arriving in the UK in 1998. Trade imports restricted to 50 by SVA, so don't buy a non-registered Beetle or you won't be able to register it. Look out for parking damage at the ends. Don't buy without a/c.
    Recalls
    May 1998, first 12,000 recalled in USA because wiring could become trapped by battery, overheat and catch fire. April 2002: German recall of all Beetles with standard ABS (no problem with those with ABS + EDS, ASR, ESP.) 9/5/2002: 24,703 Boras, Golfs and Beetles recalled because electrical fault in ABS ECU could cause overheating, possibly even leading to fire damage. (Undated) USA recall because on 2.0 litre petrol versions lambda probe prone to failure. No UK recall for this. 3-3-05 on LUPO,POLO,GOLF,BORA, TOURAN,NEW BEETLE,PASSAT AND SHARAN (WITH 2 PUMP INJECTOR ENGINE) built 1-3-04 to 31-8-04 bolts on tandem fuel pump may break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Check that the fuel filler flap works properly and has a good fit.
    They are made from plastic and the hinge is very flexible and often
    the panel fit with the rest of the rear wing is poor. The hinge spring
    mechanism is also pretty rudimentary and can fail easily.

see also here for reviews and data:
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/user_reviews/readReviews.aspx?model_id=1034

Edited to add: and of course make sure that the flower isn't missing from the vase

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Thanks Paddy and el tel. some handy hints there!

Advertisement