Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf MkIV loose chain sound

Options
  • 16-12-2005 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was driving up a small hill the other night and the car started losing power, like I was a gear or two too high. I got that loose chain sound like I was in the wrong gear also.

The only thing is, I wasn't. I even dropped a gear and the sound continued. I left the car for the night and all was well in the morning. I was just kind of worried about what that might have been. You guys reckon it's anything to worry about?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well unless you have the V5 or VR6 model your car does'nt have a timing chain (its a belt) so the cylinder head is'nt going to explode.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

That noise could be pre ignition or pinging. Basically you hear it when the motor is under load but dropping a gear and getting the revs up normally stops it. Try some higher octane fuel next time and just make sure it doesn't occur each time you drive it and if it does havehte timing checked !

Timing should be fixed on that model AFAIK so you may hagve a bad sensor somewhere !

For now I wouldn't worry about it but if it occurs again or regularly then get it checked out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Thanks lads, I know it's not a timing chain it just sounds like a chain being dragged along the ground.

I had the timing belt done a few months back so I'm not too worried about that. Should probably get it serviced soon anyway. ~10K miles since last service.

Thanks again lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Any chance your brake pads are worn ?
    I had an Accord one time and thats the kind of sound it made when the pads wore down - a piece of metal rubs against the outside of the disc.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

No it's not that, I know that sound alright. It's a kind of chainy chugging sound just like when your in a gear thats too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Enygma wrote:
    No it's not that, I know that sound alright. It's a kind of chainy chugging sound just like when your in a gear thats too high.

Unless you actually are in too high a gear ;) , it sounds like either iffy petrol, or a failed anti-knock sensor.

If it keeps doing it, get it looked at - you won't ruin your engine really quickly, but over time it will damage your cam & valve-gear in the head...

Advertisement